Regular Unleaded Gas (stock) vs Premium Unleaded Gas (tuned) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Simple answer, no.

If you look into how the Octane system works you'll find that most boosters claim to raise by "points". What they don't tell you on the bottles is that 1 Octane is equivalent to 10 points. SO a bottle that claims to raise Octane by 8 points would raise 89 to 89.8, not 97 Octane.

It's my opinion that if you truly need something to raise the fuels Octane rating above that of pump fuel, you should be able to afford the costs of quality race fuel, else the mods you've done are all in vein. Also there can be relatively simple tricks to ward off spark knock W/O the use of high buck fuels. Simple things like indexing your spark plugs might help, running shorter gaps or lower heat range plugs.
I have indexed my plugs for a while now and it might just be placebo but it kinda seems that it helps some. I point the open end towards the center point of the exhaust valves.
I just wanted to say that I was in the store today and checked out the bottle of NOS Octain Booster (as pictured above) and the bottle said it boosted octain levels by a whopping 30 Points!

So... would that make a difference? From 91 to 94 grade. The only downside is that those bottles run close to $7 a pop.

Bookmarks & Social Networks