How to Replace the Fogs - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
jxzavier
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93194
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jxzavier Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to Replace the Fogs

Alright, so I've seen a lot of people wanting sort of a step-by-step on how to remove the fog lights. I was stalking this forum to find the answer for the third gen myself. Some have removed the plastic bumper guard and changed the fogs from underneath-- which is ideally a better idea. But I live in an apartment complex and the setup for jacking up the car, or just working from underneath like that isn't ideal.

What you'll need is a T30 hex tool. Almost like a star or X shaped end... Most of you should know what this is. If not, why are you even attempting this?

I highly recommend starting this from the passenger side. Note that the windshield washer fluid tank sits right there, but underneath and behind the fog lamp itself there is A LOT more room. The cords for this lamp are also long enough for you to extend out into plain view. Trust me, you'll want to start at this side. I started at the driver side and I was frustrated that I didn't do the passenger side. MUCH EASIER.

1. Using the T30 Hex, unscrew the two screws holding the headlight housing in.

Screw 1 of 2. If you're facing toward your Focus, the screw will be just to the left of the head light. It'll be pretty obvious which one to unscrew. You can't miss them.

Screw 2 of 2.

Once you've unscrewed these, the headlight itself will be able to be pulled out of place. You may have to give it a good tug for it to come out of the socket. You'll see a cable running into the back of it, keeping the light plugged in and able to use, and not allowing the housing to be pulled out freely.

It is a lot easier if you unplug the power cords for the light, as the housing can be freed and set safely on the ground or in your vehicle... which ever you choose.

The Colored wires is where the plug is.

The little lever that is immediately at the tip of my thumb is what will release this cable. Allowing the housing to be clear of your way.

Now, this is the part I apologize for. I did not capture pictures of me doing this...

But once the headlights are out of the way, you should be able to look directly down and see where the fog lights are plugged in. I thought I was going to have to magically some how reach down in there, unscrew the fog light housing themselves and then change the bulb. BUT.... the light bulbs are shaped like an L. the longer part of the L goes into the housing, while the little tail forming the bottom part of such 'L' is the tail where the wires are going into. Looking down at the holster, if you some how manage to reach your arm down there and swing the tail to your left, and pull... the light bulb will come out of the housing and all you will have to do is unplug the light. Do the same to put the bulb back into the fog housing and put your Focus back together again.

This worked flawlessly for me. I'll take a picture of it later. It is pretty easy. I am in no way a genius with cars, but with a little commonsense it can be done.

And I apologize ahead of time if any nerds are trolling on me and find my use of words incorrect. I am pretty sure the 'headlight housing' has a specific name... I just dunno it.

But that is all.. Hope it helped.

Justin
2012 Ingot Silver SE Sedan w/ Sports & Winter Package
Purchased on March 6... currently sitting at 1,556 in my parking spot C:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
bigdesignmachine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73457
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 1 bigdesignmachine Good Standing Member