2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #61
12 F-O-C-U-S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96779
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE 4Dr

FF Reputation: 1 12 F-O-C-U-S Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have the same problem with mine. Dealership could not replicate the problem. Low speed clunk over speed bumps and potholes. It has to be in the struts or swaybar end links. This is my first ford ever owned bought brand new and kind of dissappointed with it. 2000 miles and problems the dealer cant find. Traded in my 03 mazda protege that i purchased new. Never had any problems at all had 115k when i traded it in.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #62
kshew97
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92075
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 kshew97 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistofoleez View Post
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.
Mine is doing the same thing now. Started as an intermittent noise, and I was waiting for it to become constant so I can replicate it once I get to the dealership.

Making an appointment for next week, just hope I can get them to either fix it while I wait, or can get a loaner car. I take mine to a dealership over 60 miles away, hate to waste a whole day to find out they either dont hear it, or I need to come back.

I will report back when I find out what they have to say!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #63
Bradl1982
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91343
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Bradl1982 Good Standing Member
Mine has been making the same noise that is being described in this thread. It was a lot worse when I had my family for a visit and more people were in the car. I'm going to have the dealership take a look at it when I bring it in for an oil change. That is of course if the oil change light ever comes on. Have a little over 7k miles on it.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,233, Level 35
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
My car goes in tomorrow at 7:30 AM for one last shot at fixing this issue. Hopefully I can get things ironed out this time, because I'd love to start enjoying this car properly.
Hi Zillon;

May I inquire into the status of your Focus? Was the issue rectified by the dealership? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 F-O-C-U-S View Post
I have the same problem with mine. Dealership could not replicate the problem. end links.Low speed clunk over speed bumps and potholes....
Hello 12 F-O-C-U-S,

Let's change that to a and make this the great experience you desire! Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshew97 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing now. Started as an intermittent noise, and I was waiting for it to become constant so I can replicate it once I get to the dealership.Making an appointment for next week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradl1982 View Post
Mine has been making the same noise that is being described in this thread...I'm going to have the dealership take a look at it when I bring it in for an oil change...
Hey kshew97 & Bradl1982,

Taking your Focus to the dealer is a great first step. When you do visit the dealer, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #65
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Zillon;

May I inquire into the status of your Focus? Was the issue rectified by the dealership? Thanks!
Nope, still clunking. I specifically requested a different service advisor out of recommendation from a colleague, and was still given back to the service team I requested to not be handled by.

I was also given an attitude by both the advisor and the shop team leader, and then after standing my ground and insisting there was still an issue, I was finally granted a very reluctant test-drive with the service manager. Since the noise was 'unable to be detected' on the test-drive, we returned to the dealer, and I continued on my way to work feeling rather unsatisfied with the entire experience.

I'm done dealing with the dealership. Not only am I tired of being treated like a dumb consumer, I'm really tired of fighting them on an issue they feel does not exist. I work at a Toyota dealership and drive a lot of cars with more miles on them that don't exhibit front suspension noise like my car does, and I've helped diagnose similar issues with front suspension noise on other cars before. My car didn't make the noise when it was new, it shouldn't be making it now.

I'm simply fed up.

[Edit] I did want to add, though, that everyone else I've dealt with at Ford Customer Service outside of this particular dealership has been great. So, thank you for that.

Last edited by Zillon; 03-27-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #66
kshew97
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92075
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 kshew97 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Hey kshew97 & Bradl1982,

Taking your Focus to the dealer is a great first step. When you do visit the dealer, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Thanks,

Noemi
I sent my info via PM (forgot to include mileage, which is 4500 as of today). I will let everyone know what happens when I get my car back!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #67
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,233, Level 35
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Nope, still clunking...
[Edit] I did want to add, though, that everyone else I've dealt with at Ford Customer Service outside of this particular dealership has been great. So, thank you for that.
Morning Zillon,

I appreciate your compliment.

Have you attempted another dealership for a second opinion? Let me know if that's feasible, if it is, let's try this route. If you do visit another dealership, send me a PM and I'll contact the Customer Service Manager again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshew97 View Post
I sent my info via PM (forgot to include mileage, which is 4500 as of today)...
Hi kshew97,

Thank you for the info; I'll work on your case as soon as possible. In the meantime, make sure to contact your local Ford dealership and set up an appointment.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #68
theos2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86607
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5Dr Sterling T/401/P/N/W

FF Reputation: 1 theos2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Nope, still clunking. I specifically requested a different service advisor out of recommendation from a colleague, and was still given back to the service team I requested to not be handled by.

I was also given an attitude by both the advisor and the shop team leader, and then after standing my ground and insisting there was still an issue, I was finally granted a very reluctant test-drive with the service manager. Since the noise was 'unable to be detected' on the test-drive, we returned to the dealer, and I continued on my way to work feeling rather unsatisfied with the entire experience.

I'm done dealing with the dealership. Not only am I tired of being treated like a dumb consumer, I'm really tired of fighting them on an issue they feel does not exist. I work at a Toyota dealership and drive a lot of cars with more miles on them that don't exhibit front suspension noise like my car does, and I've helped diagnose similar issues with front suspension noise on other cars before. My car didn't make the noise when it was new, it shouldn't be making it now.

I'm simply fed up.

I know the feeling. Ford Customer Service on these forums set up the appointments for me, but that didn't seem to help. I am to the point that I am willing to have a car mechanic fix it, and then send the bill to Ford. I have tried to get it fixed, one place does not acknowledge it, the other does acknowledge the issue, but says that this is normal for the Focus. They tried to convince me that just like I got used to the transmission, this is the new norm for Ford vehicles. When we test drove another Focus to show him that it is not in that one, he said it will occur after some time goes by. I swear these guys come up with this stuff on the fly.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #69
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Morning Zillon,

I appreciate your compliment.

Have you attempted another dealership for a second opinion? Let me know if that's feasible, if it is, let's try this route. If you do visit another dealership, send me a PM and I'll contact the Customer Service Manager again.

Noemi
That's my next step. I'm expecting a call from my CSM this afternoon, so when she does give me a call, we'll go from there.

I also plan on test driving an inventory unit for my own back-to-back comparison.

Thanks again.

Zack
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #70
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
Well I got my Focus back from the dealer last week after they replaced the Left lower control arm. I was told that after first replacing the part that the car was still making the noise so they removed the lower control arm and found that it shipped with no grease. They greased and re-installed the part and the noise was gone. I asked if the right side had grease and the service advisor (not the tech) said yes so I hope they indeed verifiy this. This brings up something I saw in some pictures that I took awhile back prior to this repair. If you look at both bushings for LT and RT Lower control arms there is a rust colored dusting on the inside of both bushings to me as a technician it's source is most likley metal to metal wear and as the small particles of steel stick to the rubber bushing they will then oxidize/rust possibly indicating what I see in the photos. Now does anyone else with an issue similar to mine have this same rusty color on the bushings?

Talking to a friend at work he brought up the fact that it may be brake/rotor dust and I think he is right. My doomsday theory goes pop.

Last edited by bobakman; 03-30-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added additional information.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.