TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #51
dcinnc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96223
What I Drive: 2012 Sedan SEL Platinum White

FF Reputation: 1 dcinnc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Focus View Post
The car is done. They replaced a steering position sensor. P/N CV6Z*3F818*A. Luckily they didnt charge me "extra fees".
You have a good service dept there, many of Ford service would of told you that lowering your Focus caused the problem, and others would of charged you for the extra time it took.

Glad to hear there's some good Ford Service Centers out there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #52
pedrohead
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27033
FF Reputation: 1 pedrohead Good Standing Member
Is this the same problem?

I've seen this TSB and tried to figure out if its the same issue I'm seeing.

When I drive on the freeway (especially on the "striped" concrete they use here in MI for cold weather) the car feels like it's quickly drifting left or right with no steering input, but doesn't seem to happen on smoother asphalt surfaces.

I don't have to manually recenter the car necessarily (I see people mentioning getting "a workout" having to keep the car straight), but it's really annoying (and will even make you motion sick after a while when it bobs back and forth).

I thought it might be something like the tires just trying to grip the surface and it pushes the car back and forth (heard that's a problem on increasingly larger tires), but don't want to lose my car and have it torn apart if it's not the same thing.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrohead View Post
I've seen this TSB and tried to figure out if its the same issue I'm seeing.

When I drive on the freeway (especially on the "striped" concrete they use here in MI for cold weather) the car feels like it's quickly drifting left or right with no steering input, but doesn't seem to happen on smoother asphalt surfaces.

I don't have to manually recenter the car necessarily (I see people mentioning getting "a workout" having to keep the car straight), but it's really annoying (and will even make you motion sick after a while when it bobs back and forth).

I thought it might be something like the tires just trying to grip the surface and it pushes the car back and forth (heard that's a problem on increasingly larger tires), but don't want to lose my car and have it torn apart if it's not the same thing.

Thanks for any input.
That's exactly what I was experiencing. I took her in and they said the TSB applies.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
That's exactly what I was experiencing. I took her in and they said the TSB applies.
Seems I just keep running into issues that are common. I have noticed this wandering at hwy speeds, but also at slower speeds (25-45 mph). If this is the same thing you had then I plan to contact them and take my car in to get this work done. I thought it was because I have the 18" tire package (handling package???) on mine and it was the tires getting in the road grooves, but after reading this post it seems that might not be the case here.

Did the fix really help this issue???
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #55
pedrohead
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27033
FF Reputation: 1 pedrohead Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
Seems I just keep running into issues that are common. I have noticed this wandering at hwy speeds, but also at slower speeds (25-45 mph). If this is the same thing you had then I plan to contact them and take my car in to get this work done. I thought it was because I have the 18" tire package (handling package???) on mine and it was the tires getting in the road grooves, but after reading this post it seems that might not be the case here.

See, that's what I thought it was, too. I just have the 17" wheels, but had been told that "seeing the grooves" issue at highway speeds was just the effect of having bigger tires (and that several other cars had the same problem). If it can be corrected, that would be great (it can really make you sea-sick after a while). But if that's not what this TSB addresses, I don't want to lose my car unnecessarily for a while...
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #56
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrohead View Post
See, that's what I thought it was, too. I just have the 17" wheels, but had been told that "seeing the grooves" issue at highway speeds was just the effect of having bigger tires (and that several other cars had the same problem). If it can be corrected, that would be great (it can really make you sea-sick after a while). But if that's not what this TSB addresses, I don't want to lose my car unnecessarily for a while...
Agreed! I don't want to take my car into the shop and have work done unless it is really needed. I also don't want to have this issue for the rest of the time I own this car either. So hopefully someone can tell us if this is what the TSB is for.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #57
me2000
Focus Addict

Quote:

I haven't gotten the car back... I should have it back by Wednesday, but as you can see throughout this thread, it has helped many others.

What is your build date? I believe this TSB only applies to cars built prior to August.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #58
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I haven't gotten the car back... I should have it back by Wednesday, but as you can see throughout this thread, it has helped many others.

What is your build date? I believe this TSB only applies to cars built prior to August.
My build date is 8-11-2011.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #59
me2000
Focus Addict

Quote:
My build date is 8-11-2011.
Nevermind, the latest TSB number is for cars built prior to December according to the first page of this thread.

I say if you're having issues controlling the steering on the highway to take it in. Better to be safe.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #60
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Nevermind, the latest TSB number is for cars built prior to December according to the first page of this thread.

I say if you're having issues controlling the steering on the highway to take it in. Better to be safe.
Yeah I will call the dealer and see what they say. Likely they will require I take it in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks