Regular Unleaded Gas (stock) vs Premium Unleaded Gas (tuned) - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #21
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,414, Level 86
Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86 Points: 18,414, Level: 86
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Does adding Octane Booster to your car do anything beneficial? So what if I get a premium octain tune and then add a can of octane booster?

Simple answer, no.

If you look into how the Octane system works you'll find that most boosters claim to raise by "points". What they don't tell you on the bottles is that 1 Octane is equivalent to 10 points. SO a bottle that claims to raise Octane by 8 points would raise 89 to 89.8, not 97 Octane.

It's my opinion that if you truly need something to raise the fuels Octane rating above that of pump fuel, you should be able to afford the costs of quality race fuel, else the mods you've done are all in vein. Also there can be relatively simple tricks to ward off spark knock W/O the use of high buck fuels. Simple things like indexing your spark plugs might help, running shorter gaps or lower heat range plugs.
I have indexed my plugs for a while now and it might just be placebo but it kinda seems that it helps some. I point the open end towards the center point of the exhaust valves.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I see. Well then I just wont worry about the octane booster then.

As far as regular vs premium gas, is it true that you get better MPGs with premium, even though it costs more overall?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
I see. Well then I just wont worry about the octane booster then.

As far as regular vs premium gas, is it true that you get better MPGs with premium, even though it costs more overall?
No. Unless your car is made to run on the higher octane. If you put 91 octane in an svt it will get better fuel mileage than with 87( Not that I would put 87 in my svt). This is because the svt is designed to run on the 91. Google octane if you really want to know more.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
I'm talking about getting a tune for it. Are you going to get better gas mileage with an 87 tune, or are you going to get better gas mileage with a 91 tune? In other words, I'll be getting a tune either way, but which tune will get me better gas mileage? 87 or 91?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Jakefrom
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96575
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jakefrom Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm talking about getting a tune for it. Are you going to get better gas mileage with an 87 tune, or are you going to get better gas mileage with a 91 tune? In other words, I'll be getting a tune either way, but which tune will get me better gas mileage? 87 or 91?
I believe it depends on the kind of tune you want, you can tune more for performance or economy. 91 burns a little smoother than 87.

Does the ECU in the focus not adjust to octane ratings like other cars? Example, my V6 accord will adjust to different octanes and advance or retard timing to compensate, but switching from one to the other you need to go about 500 miles on the certain octane before the computer recalibrates for the octane. Running 91 instead of 87 will get rid of pinging and get me slightly better milage although on 87 I can average 35mpg on the freeway (about 1 mpg better with 91). A honda engineer has said running 91 instead of 87 will give you a 10hp bump in the accord as well. All this without a tune.

Thanks for bearing with me, trying to expand the knowledge of my vehicles.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,060, Level 72
Points: 12,060, Level: 72 Points: 12,060, Level: 72 Points: 12,060, Level: 72
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
SCT xc3 tuner goes a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefrom View Post
I believe it depends on the kind of tune you want, you can tune more for performance or economy. 91 burns a little smoother than 87.

Does the ECU in the focus not adjust to octane ratings like other cars? Example, my V6 accord will adjust to different octanes and advance or retard timing to compensate, but switching from one to the other you need to go about 500 miles on the certain octane before the computer recalibrates for the octane. Running 91 instead of 87 will get rid of pinging and get me slightly better milage although on 87 I can average 35mpg on the freeway (about 1 mpg better with 91). A honda engineer has said running 91 instead of 87 will give you a 10hp bump in the accord as well. All this without a tune.

Thats pretty inpressive= 10hp running 91 over 87 on a stock motor. All I said was w/ a 91-92 octane tune you'd better mpg than w/o= you wouldn't have your foot into it w/ a tune than w/o. You will find w/ a tune your motor runs better= more spark/ injecter timing, etc. With a tune you have ascess to a lot of different parameters= wot fuel adjustment/ idle rpm/ spark advance/ trans shift points/ tire size-rev per mile/ cooliing fan temps/ rev & speed limiter & a lot more.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #27
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 8,123, Level 60
Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
I believe those benefits are usually only for engines that have VCT and even further variable lift also. As the Focus does not have that (the SVT has the VCT on only one cam). I think you also tend to have more knock sensors and other electronics to determine detonation and then the best timing and fuel map combo to use.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

also 1 MPG increase, for at minimums 10 cents per gallon for a 1MPG increase? looks like around me its about 15 cents average more for 87 (our 91 octane up here at 4,700 feet). $1.95 more for 13 miles distance... that's not cost effective, as over two fill ups, i would go 26 more miles for $3.90... at this moment I can get 1 gallon of regular for less than $3.90 and go further than 26 miles on it.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #28
Jakefrom
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96575
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jakefrom Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info and clearing up my confusion, I kinda assumed that most cars now could sense the higher octane and adjust. Most of the V6 accord guys don't get 91 for the extra mpg, more to prevent knock, advance the timing for the extra hp and for the boosted/built guys it really helps alot. I've only ran 91 once to clean out my injectors and noticed a slight better response but no power bump from what I could tell (Ass dyno).

Edit: Also stand alone ECU's are very rare/ non-existent for the accord so the octane bump along with the timing advance is beneficial for us.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,284, Level 100
Points: 51,284, Level: 100 Points: 51,284, Level: 100 Points: 51,284, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 23%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I have indexed my plugs for a while now and it might just be placebo but it kinda seems that it helps some. I point the open end towards the center point of the exhaust valves.
Indexing plugs on flat top pistons and a combustion chamber like we have wont do anything , indexing plugs is for domed pistons that come close to the plugs , you would index the plugs to keep the piston from hitting and closing the the wire on the plug

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,284, Level 100
Points: 51,284, Level: 100 Points: 51,284, Level: 100 Points: 51,284, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 23%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefrom View Post

No cars can adjust for the octane you are running as there is nothing in the fuel tank that tells the ECU what octane your running so there is no way for a ECU to recalibrate , what they can do is see your o2 signal that may go leaner/rich and adjust with adptive learning and see the knock sensor and take out spark if you have knock

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.