rockford build - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #51
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
well i asked them for a 280amp alt they said because of the space the biggest they can do is 250 unless im willing to do custom work to make a bigger alt fit so i dont know what the other options are. i think 02zetec is getting one for 220amp. they are direct bolt on h/o alt no mod needed just upgraded wires. could go to your local parts store to and buy and interstate deepcycle for under the hood about $90 so that while at stop lights you dont have as much voltage drop. still under the $500+ for 2 batteries then.
So buy the 230amp (what do you think about $325-350ish shipped) then buy a deep cycle interstate from advanced or pepboys to replace my stock battery? then if i wanted to add a second just do that?
Galatians 6:14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #52
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well i dont know exactly what singer offers and what the price difference is but yeah the ho alt. i suggested the interstate deep cylce because will help some while at stop signs/lights since the car will be at and idle. then if you feel like its needed a xs power battery later down the road to replace the interstate then sell the interstate or keep it as a spare battery incase something goes wrong. or you could just add an xs power battery to the trunk later down the road. your choice.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #53
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
How would this kinetik work out as a replacement for my stock battery? or could i just put this in my trunk and keep the stock battery in the front for now?
http://www.amazon.com/Kinetik-HC1400...pr_product_top
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #54
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

if thats how you would rather do it. kenitic makes good batteries. basicaly as long as you have the ho alt your system will be powered while driving and the upgraded battery is just to keep it powerd for those short time periods while at stops signs/lights.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #55
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

so i came home checked the mail and found a slip from the usps saying that they i wasnt home when they treid to deliver my h/o alt. they will most likely try agian monday but i will be gone sadly so hopefully tuesday i can just go pick it up. the local audio shop i go to is ordering rockford 1/0 guage by the spool so that i can buy a few feet to do the big 3. i also just ordered a k&n cone filter that im putting on the maf and keeping the bottom half of the stock airbox and snorkel.

so far everything is still on schedule.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #56
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

so, i ordered a k&n cone filter and they sent me the wrong one. instead of going through the hassle of sending it back i got a spectra coupler reducer made it fit. put it right onto the maf tube. sounds great and i do notice a small difference right around 3500-4k rpms. i would say it was well worth the money. putting the alt in on the 7th or 8th of next month. will be doing the serpintine belt and timing belt all at the same time.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #57
Gazookz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82103
What I Drive: 2011 Metallic Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 Gazookz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
if thats how you would rather do it. kenitic makes good batteries. basicaly as long as you have the ho alt your system will be powered while driving and the upgraded battery is just to keep it powerd for those short time periods while at stops signs/lights.
That isn't exactly how it works....you need instantaneous current draw to power your amps which an alternator cannot provide. You still need batteries nearby to help keep your amps supplied with current or they can possibly be damaged from overheating from lack of power or something else can go wrong. If you want to conduct the experiment yourself just unhook your battery/s even your under the hood battery when your car is on. Rev the engine to around 2k RPM and play your music and monitor the voltage and see how much warmer your amp gets. If that were the case then everybody who competes with 10k watts or less would run a few alternators and keep the RPM up. They do not do that - they have multiple batteries in a huge bank to power their setups even while the car is on and even if they do have multiple alternator's that can provide the current they need.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #58
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

well, 10k watts compared to 1.5-2k is like apples to oranges. i suggest upgrading the alt first because even with an added battery there is power loss. if driving to work for an hour with the system pounding the batteries will drain quick. the alt will help keep the battery(s) charged and the amp powerd correctly. then as a second upgade i suggest a battery or 2 maybe more depending on the setup.

on another note, i will be installing my alt saturday ( hope my 1/0 gauge gets here soon enough )
Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #59
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

my alt is in but i didnt get my 1/0 gauge soon enough so its realy being constricted. i havent tested it while holding at 1.8-2k roms but at an idle with the stereo turned all the way up i gained .2 volts.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #60
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
be careful not to melt the undersized wire

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->