rockford build - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
mitchv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79720
What I Drive: 2003 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 4 mitchv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hmm. it really depends on all the rules of the class your competing in man. like if they dont allow you to have your car on than dont waste money on an alt. but than again your in alaska and who knows what goes on up there :p. i like the idea of aero ports because it allows you to change tunning from daily to spl on the fly. Also 45 degree corners on the box, kerfed ported and rounded port edges are my suggestions. Maybe re-enforce it with fiber glass but I have seen people actually loose numbers on the term lab. obivously deaden the out of it. and do more runs of power and ground :p

I was thinking about competing but than I realised I dont have enough money to run something I would want to compete with that could be my daily driver. and the gas to get to all the places etc etc.

ohh and pass those rockford deals on to your fellow focus fanatics buddies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well we can have the car on and rev the engine no limit on reving the engine but there is no need to go past 1800-2k rpm anyways. they put you in your class depending on total cone size im in amature 1, basicaly anything smaller then 2 12s or 1 15 up to 3 10 tens i think or 5 8s. im gonna round off all the edges to the port and do 45s in the corners of the port and more then likely 45s in the rest of the box as well. i sitll want to stay with a slot port i just like the sound better and i dont want to change out boxes just to compete. this build isnt just for comps its my daily setup that i listen to at about 80% volume 80% of the time and 100% volume 20% of the time.

i will add more power and ground wires as time goes by but i only have another $80 i can spend on the box.

i would be more then happy to share the rockford deals but i get it from a local shop through a freind and i have to jump through a few hoops every now and then helping my buddy out in order to get the deals.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
mitchv
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
well we can have the car on and rev the engine no limit on reving the engine but there is no need to go past 1800-2k rpm anyways. they put you in your class depending on total cone size im in amature 1, basicaly anything smaller then 2 12s or 1 15 up to 3 10 tens i think or 5 8s. im gonna round off all the edges to the port and do 45s in the corners of the port and more then likely 45s in the rest of the box as well. i sitll want to stay with a slot port i just like the sound better and i dont want to change out boxes just to compete. this build isnt just for comps its my daily setup that i listen to at about 80% volume 80% of the time and 100% volume 20% of the time.

i will add more power and ground wires as time goes by but i only have another $80 i can spend on the box.

i would be more then happy to share the rockford deals but i get it from a local shop through a freind and i have to jump through a few hoops every now and then helping my buddy out in order to get the deals.
aero ports will make it so you dont have the change the box, you just have to change the port thats why I was suggesting them lol. Like have 2 sets or ports 1 set will be your daily listening and the other set will be for spl but bassically you want to make the inside of the box as round as possible. Make it act like a little air cannon lol. Also if your firing into the hatch I suggest deadening it to the extreme. You probably want to make it as heavy as possible.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Ford bass , everything I mentioned can make a difference... If u want to milk every .1 db that's how ... Rounding corners allows for smoother air flow as does resining... I'd rather have a over braced box than a box that flexes . Alaskan , using the 2x4 is fine but it can effect air flow... Also remember to take into acct the displacement
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

^^ yeah the box is 4.04 after sub and the 2x4 i will round the 2x4 off to help make sure it doesnt mess with the airflow as much although if i can i wouldnt mind using some of that threaded pole you mentioned before so that i can make the box a little smaller so that i can fit everything in the hatch better.

the hatch door is done with a layer of dynamat and full of that expanding foam it took care of a lot of the rattles and flexing but it still moves the only real rattle from the hatch now is the wiper motor itself.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
mitchv
Focus Enthusiast

I would of done like 4 or 5 layers before filling it in with foam. Well not 4 or 5 but I would of done a good amount. I feel like if thats where you face the subs towards than thats where your biggest lost will be in pressure so you should over kill it there if possible. Yea ford bass has no idea what hes talking about. 02zetech is right making the corners round means less turbulance in the air.
I listened to 2 dc level 4 8s in a box that was no bigger than 4 12 packs put all next to each other with an aero port( all inside the box) tuned at 50hz the dude hit 144 all the way from 55-30hz.
he was only giving each of them 1500 watts.

He actually let me stick my hand in through the port to feel his box. The entire inside was circle and I mean the entire inside... It was all one solid piece of kerfed wood. he then went on the outside of it and put 4 pannels around it to make it appear square on the outside. but there was not a single 90 degree angle in the box and it was way to small for the requirments of the sub. it being that circular is what allowed him to get such a high number and flat response.
He also had 6 runs of power and 6 runs of ground. Going to an oldschool crunch ground pound 3000.1
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

well, im not doing more then 2 runs of power and 3 grounds just because of the cost and time it takes. i could put that much into deadening but on the other hand its my daily driver and i do plan on going turbo and doing some weekend drags so id rather not just to keep the weight down that much more.

and lets just all remember that ford bass says a 4k watt amp rms wont dim light if adjusted right on a stock elelctrical.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

oh and just so everyone knows im willing to tune lower but no higher then 41hz i dont feel like lower would give me a higher score so it would be pointless for me to go lower then say 35hz
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #19
FordBass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89775
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 FordBass Good Standing Member
mitchv, yea i obviously don't know what i am talking about. I call Something that will give you .1db(if that) basically negligible, therefore i don't know what i am talking about. I would say to still do it for aesthetics but it's not like "oh maaaannn i gained MAJOR DEEEBEEZZ from rounded corners on my box".

It's so funny with the difference between audiophile forums, car audio forums and car specific forums(car audio section). Th knowledge base decreases and the bro science increases as you go down the line.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

weither its .1 db or 3 db its still higher, if somthing as simple as rounded corners in side the box can give .1db and it adds a slight amount of strenght to the box then why not do it? when building a box you have plenty of scrap wood anyways. this is called fine tuning the setup, wich means to make those little changes that will make it that small amount louder.

if i wanted to gain another 3-10 db i would get a second amp and 2 more 12s. im looking to do better then a 145 in which i know i can with what i have, with the 1 12 i did a 143.9, people have seen as much as 3 db from doubling the cone which i did when i got my second 12. people have also seen as much as 3 db from an upgraded electrical in which i have a 250 amp alt that does rated at 1800-1900 rpm so there is another gian. now if i only gained 1db from the doubling total cone size and 1 db from the alt thats still put me at 145.9 then i round of the corners of the box and gain that .1 db that put me at 146db running 2 12s with 1880 watts rms according to the birthsheet for my amp. that would be where i want to be by the end of april. thats all low gains from the improvments im making to the last setup i could gain a whole 6 db from doubling cone size and the upgraded alt. i dont expect that much but i know i will do better then a 145 if i get to 147 from these changes ill be extremely happy with it but if by chance i gain that 6 db that would put me just below 150 but i dont think it will go any higher then a 146.5 to be honest.

Bookmarks & Social Networks