DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 78 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #771
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@dan50 - Thank you for all ! And yes, it is the last TSB. I will give it another 500 km shot.
---------changed for--------------
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #772
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Noemi, thanks for the offer. How about a swap: just transplant bsp_51's DCT into my car. Seems like a reasonable solution to me. Heck, I'll even drive to the transplant site!
No dice dan50,

If I do that, I'm gonna have issues with bsp_51. I'll wait for the certified guru's to do their job. Take care and keep me posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinKix View Post
Maybe those dissatisfied with the powershift are more motivated to post their complaints.
I happen to really like the powershift...
The powershift isn't perfect...
All in all though, I'm not griping.
Hello SpinKix,

Pleasure to meet you!

We accept and allow accolades as well as grippes on this forum. Ford does not shy away from grippes; it's what guides us in creating a great product for our loyal customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
...I am not kidding, I just had my TSB update done and I see now :
- the rpms at idle are greater and the car "shakes" as never before
- from full stop, pressing on the pedal feels like the car has no power...
Hello VOLDAR,

The Focus will need to re-learn driving habits after a re-flash. So, give it some time to smooth out, as dan50 suggested. If after a period of time/miles, it still continues, give Ford of Canada at 1.800.565.3673 call for assistance.

Thanks you all for your input!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #773
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Plus it supposedly uses a wet clutch. That could also be a key difference regarding some of the problems "some" of us have.
From what I've seen of the cutaway diagrams it doesn't look like a wet clutch set up persay, it uses a normal planetary gearset based automatic with clutch bands. Their supposed breakthrough is in the fact that although most other modern automatics also have a lock up clutch for higher speeds, they have managed to dampen the inputs enough to allow for the lock up clutch to lock the torque converter preventing slippage once under way above a lower speed than was deemed possible before due to the shuddering caused by the drag on the driveline components and too low an engine speed to mechanically lock up the clutch in the torque converter. Once locked up a torque converter has an efficicency much closer to that of a manual gearbox, but its still not quite there yet.

The dry clutch dct is more efficient at least in theory because it never has to worry about the power losses due to the fluid motion/ drag in a traditional torque converter, the downside is that if the clutches do get engaged too abruptly at low speed a shudder might result if the idle speed was too low, or if other operating parameters were not carefully controlled.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #774
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
From what I've seen of the cutaway diagrams it doesn't look like a wet clutch set up persay, it uses a normal planetary gearset based automatic with clutch bands. Their supposed breakthrough is in the fact that although most other modern automatics also have a lock up clutch for higher speeds, they have managed to dampen the inputs enough to allow for the lock up clutch to lock the torque converter preventing slippage once under way above a lower speed than was deemed possible before due to the shuddering caused by the drag on the driveline components and too low an engine speed to mechanically lock up the clutch in the torque converter. Once locked up a torque converter has an efficicency much closer to that of a manual gearbox, but its still not quite there yet.

The dry clutch dct is more efficient at least in theory because it never has to worry about the power losses due to the fluid motion/ drag in a traditional torque converter, the downside is that if the clutches do get engaged too abruptly at low speed a shudder might result if the idle speed was too low, or if other operating parameters were not carefully controlled.
I was just thinking the wet clutch is cooled by fluid, whereas ours is not. Some have reported shuddering only after 20 minutes or so of heavy clutch use (i.e. stop and go) therefore leading to a theory of the clutches overheating.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #775
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I was just thinking the wet clutch is cooled by fluid, whereas ours is not. Some have reported shuddering only after 20 minutes or so of heavy clutch use (i.e. stop and go) therefore leading to a theory of the clutches overheating.
VW's DSG gearbox is like what you thought the Mazda transmission was like, although those have had their own issues with mechatronic unit failures, random shifts into neutral, and other problems that had been reported.

Example of the vitrol spewed by early vw dsg gearbox owners from the vw owners forum:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...gus-DSG-Recall

Yes it may be a biased source, but so are the complaints made here. Are they valid, perhaps, but they don't tell the whole story by themselves.

So no, having a wet clutch wouldn't nesssarily be the solution to all of the issues people are having with the dct, as it could cause other more serious problems down the road (especially when the mechatronics package is also supposed to live submerged in the same oil that is running the clutches and or the gearbox.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #776
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
So no, having a wet clutch wouldn't nesssarily be the solution to all of the issues people are having with the dct, as it could cause other more serious problems down the road (especially when the mechatronics package is also supposed to live submerged in the same oil that is running the clutches and or the gearbox.
I didn't say it would solve all the issues, I said it might solve the overheating issue IF overheating is really an issue. I have no scientific data to prove it is, just my own experience with my own Focus.

I'm sure VW's mistakes with their wet clutch DCT could be solved, no? Aren't wet clutches used in all the supercar DCTs?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #777
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
So is there anyone that works at a dealership that I can PM my VIN and see if the update was applied? My dealer had said they did an update but I don't think they actually did.

I tried looking around but I couldn't figure out how to tell what update they did. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #778
foh-kuhs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Silver Ingot

FF Reputation: 1 foh-kuhs Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
So is there anyone that works at a dealership that I can PM my VIN and see if the update was applied? My dealer had said they did an update but I don't think they actually did.

I tried looking around but I couldn't figure out how to tell what update they did. Thanks.
I think they should have given you a work order showing the work done. Even if it was covered under warranty.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #779
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by foh-kuhs View Post
I think they should have given you a work order showing the work done. Even if it was covered under warranty.
none is required on a TSB as the work was voluntary on the dealers part. However, you can always call them and ask them to print/email one, as it was likely generated in their system when the tech logged his work.

My dealer never gave me one, and I was in a rush, so I left with only their word. I did talk to both the tech and the service advisor at the same time tho, and their stories appeared to conflict. Where I realized it had been done was when I drove the car...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #780
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by foh-kuhs View Post
Yes I think I posted way back in this thread what the code on the invoice was:

11e03 reprogram the PCM with revised two step procedure and perform adaptive learning.

Someone mentioned that's a emissions recall and not related to the transmission update. I'm just trying to confirm before I take it into the dealer for the next oil change.

Bookmarks & Social Networks