A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #71
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
just talked to a sync tech (rep, so maybe not 100% knowledgeable) but she said the mic sensitivity is not adjustable in the car, so maybe it is a buried setting...

Thank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury SYNC Support Center.

You are now chatting with 'Sheila'

How may I assist you?


you: Is there a way to turn down the sensititvity of the microphone on sync, while making a phone call. When at highway speeds (55 and up) there is alot of background noise/windnoise...

you: the person on the other end of the call reports this every time we are at highway speeds

Sheila: There is not way to adjust that. You may want to have your dealership check the microphone to ensure it is operating properly.

The fact that the Mic is working and picking up sound indicates to me that it's likely fully functional. The fact that it also picks up background noise is probably incidental and I wouldn't have a lot of faith that the service dept would find any issue with it and state its working as intended. If it were something like the person on the other end couldn't hear you or the Sync voice commands never seemed to understand you, etc than I would thing that would be a clear case of a possible issue with the mic.

I wonder if there would be any improvement in either relocating the mic lower in the car away from the roof or try to lower the sensitivity of the mic itself by putting one of those foam wind noise protectors that you usually see on boom mics or conference room wireless mics. We have one of those and without the foam cover on the mic it seems to pick up way more background noise. I know the foam is suppose to reduce the wind noise when standing outside. It may have no effect on a mic like were using inside the car though.

That's a shame, I was truly impressed with every other aspect of this car. Sucks there had to be one feature I was looking forward to that turned out to be sorta useless.

EDIT: If I relocate the mic I will definitely share my results.
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #72
st falcon
Focus Addict
 
st falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92343
Location: Livonia, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

Posts: 1,368
FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
The fact that the Mic is working and picking up sound indicates to me that it's likely fully functional. The fact that it also picks up background noise is probably incidental and I wouldn't have a lot of faith that the service dept would find any issue with it and state its working as intended. If it were something like the person on the other end couldn't hear you or the Sync voice commands never seemed to understand you, etc than I would thing that would be a clear case of a possible issue with the mic.

I wonder if there would be any improvement in either relocating the mic lower in the car away from the roof or try to lower the sensitivity of the mic itself by putting one of those foam wind noise protectors that you usually see on boom mics or conference room wireless mics. We have one of those and without the foam cover on the mic it seems to pick up way more background noise. I know the foam is suppose to reduce the wind noise when standing outside. It may have no effect on a mic like were using inside the car though.

That's a shame, I was truly impressed with every other aspect of this car. Sucks there had to be one feature I was looking forward to that turned out to be sorta useless.

EDIT: If I relocate the mic I will definitely share my results.
The OP pretty much did the same thing, and it showed marked improvement. I was asking whether there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of the mic with SYNC itself, without having to resort to the fic the OP originally listed. I just like to keep things stock if for no other reason than disassembling the overhead console and risking breaking something...looks like I will be shoving some insulation in there tho.
__________________
2012 Focus SEL Blue Candy Metallic

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
st falcon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #73
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
The OP pretty much did the same thing, and it showed marked improvement. I was asking whether there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of the mic with SYNC itself, without having to resort to the fic the OP originally listed. I just like to keep things stock if for no other reason than disassembling the overhead console and risking breaking something...looks like I will be shoving some insulation in there tho.
I don't think you'll find the insulation will make it any better unless you plan on dynamatting the entire roof which would require removal of the headliner.

I mentioned sealing my mic off so well that if I put my palm over it. The other side hears absolute silence. When I remove my palm and don't speak all they hear is what sounds like rushing wind noise. It doesn't sound anywhere near that loud to my ears in the car but obviously to a mic that is turned up so sensitive it does.
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #74
st falcon
Focus Addict
 
st falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92343
Location: Livonia, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

Posts: 1,368
FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I don't think you'll find the insulation will make it any better unless you plan on dynamatting the entire roof which would require removal of the headliner.

I mentioned sealing my mic off so well that if I put my palm over it. The other side hears absolute silence. When I remove my palm and don't speak all they hear is what sounds like rushing wind noise. It doesn't sound anywhere near that loud to my ears in the car but obviously to a mic that is turned up so sensitive it does.
Some have actually dynamatted the whole roof, and yeah, they had to remove the headliner. Also, many have only insulated the area surrounding the mic, as the headliner IS the noise-deadener for the rest of the roof. I would think if you could insulate the mike locally, it would help. Are you saying the its the ambient noise from INSIDE the car that is causing this?
__________________
2012 Focus SEL Blue Candy Metallic

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
st falcon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #75
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Some have actually dynamatted the whole roof, and yeah, they had to remove the headliner. Also, many have only insulated the area surrounding the mic, as the headliner IS the noise-deadener for the rest of the roof. I would think if you could insulate the mike locally, it would help. Are you saying the its the ambient noise from INSIDE the car that is causing this?
Exactly. I thought the road noise was being picked up from the Mic on the backside of the headliner. So I took about a half inch thick piece of condensed foam and cut it to where I could wedge it directly over the back of the mic. It is completely sealed now. I have a sun roof so I can look down behind the mic by opening the sun roof and looking fwd of the headliner. My mic is literally air tight now on the back side yet it made very little difference when I test drive. Inside the car there's a degree of road noise like you'd expect in just about any car. I wouldn't say its excessive at all. But the Mic seems to amplify the crap out of it so when your talking I can hear myself clearly but it sounds like Im on a speaker phone for sure and when you stop speaking you hear the roar of the interior road noise.

Before you put insulation above your mic. Try this. Call a friend or your voicemail and leave a message as your driving and then go quiet for a sec so it can record the sound of the car inside. Place your palm over the mic and when you play back the message see if you notice when you had your palm over the mic that it was dead silent. If so then I doubt the insulation will do much.
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #76
cacophonous
Focus Addict
 
cacophonous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89165
Location: Hell, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Posts: 714
Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I tested mine by putting a small head phone foam cover over the mic (inside the cabin) with small pieces of two sided tape (just a temp setup to test) and my one complainer said it was like night and day. I am going to work on something more stylish next.





Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Some have actually dynamatted the whole roof, and yeah, they had to remove the headliner. Also, many have only insulated the area surrounding the mic, as the headliner IS the noise-deadener for the rest of the roof. I would think if you could insulate the mike locally, it would help. Are you saying the its the ambient noise from INSIDE the car that is causing this?
__________________
2012 Focus Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze, 400A, Winter, & 17" Black Machined Rims
cacophonous is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #77
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
I tested mine by putting a small head phone foam cover over the mic (inside the cabin) with small pieces of two sided tape (just a temp setup to test) and my one complainer said it was like night and day. I am going to work on something more stylish next.

Thats an awesome way to test. You could probably drop your console down. Pop the mic up and fit the foam over the mic. Then snap it back in place and achieve the same if not better results.
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #78
Dgc333
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85422
Location: Pembroke, MA
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Posts: 724
Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FWIW, when my wife calls me from our Focus the only time I hear any back ground noise is if she has the sun roof open at any speed over 20 or speeds over 35 if the side windows are open.
Dgc333 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #79
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94641
Location: Dover, OH
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Hatch

Posts: 42
FF Reputation: 1 Murray5476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was told by my daughter that when I was talking she heard a lot of (static)... When I was not talking she did not hear it....
How does that fit into your ideas????
Murray5476 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #80
cacophonous
Focus Addict
 
cacophonous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89165
Location: Hell, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Posts: 714
Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
FWIW, when my wife calls me from our Focus the only time I hear any back ground noise is if she has the sun roof open at any speed over 20 or speeds over 35 if the side windows are open.
Well if she drives under 20 MPH you are good to go.
__________________
2012 Focus Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze, 400A, Winter, & 17" Black Machined Rims
cacophonous is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat