DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 77 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #761
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Let's not forget though that several articles I've seen have suggested there have been a large number of customer complaints which have forced Ford to make several of these "running upgrades", both software and hardware. I doubt they would be putting so much work into improving the unit if only 5% of owners were coming back to their dealerships and complaining. Gotta be more like 25% or more. Otherwise they would've just waited to introduce all their improvements into the '13 model year.

And I'm still not convinced about the DCT's driving superiority. Had to give the Focus to my wife temporarily and borrow my parents' '03 Suzuki Aerio again, 4-banger and conventional 4-speed auto, 90,000 miles. It is night and day how much peppier the Suzuki is in city traffic, instant throttle response, shifts pretty much when I want it to. My particular Focus pales in comparison; so much off the line lag and indecision by comparison.

Of course I'm also monitoring the mpg of the Suzuki over the next few days and expect it to get probably 7mpg less than the Focus in the same driving. That's probably the primary tradeoff.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #762
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,848, Level 32
Points: 2,848, Level: 32 Points: 2,848, Level: 32 Points: 2,848, Level: 32
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Let's not forget though that several articles I've seen have suggested there have been a large number of customer complaints which have forced Ford to make several of these "running upgrades", both software and hardware. I doubt they would be putting so much work into improving the unit if only 5% of owners were coming back to their dealerships and complaining. Gotta be more like 25% or more. Otherwise they would've just waited to introduce all their improvements into the '13 model year.

And I'm still not convinced about the DCT's driving superiority. Had to give the Focus to my wife temporarily and borrow my parents' '03 Suzuki Aerio again, 4-banger and conventional 4-speed auto, 90,000 miles. It is night and day how much peppier the Suzuki is in city traffic, instant throttle response, shifts pretty much when I want it to. My particular Focus pales in comparison; so much off the line lag and indecision by comparison.

Of course I'm also monitoring the mpg of the Suzuki over the next few days and expect it to get probably 7mpg less than the Focus in the same driving. That's probably the primary tradeoff.
The New York Times had a complimentary article about the Skyactive Mazda 3. While the engine sounds similar in concept to the Focus, the Mazda DCT also has a torque converter that operates at speeds less than 5 mph. The added torque converter would likely eliminate most of things we Ford DCT owners complain about.

The Mazda's mileage is slightly better than the Focus and its transmission was judged a strong point. Not that I want a Mazda, mind you, but if only...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #763
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,210, Level 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
The New York Times had a complimentary article about the Skyactive Mazda 3. While the engine sounds similar in concept to the Focus, the Mazda DCT also has a torque converter that operates at speeds less than 5 mph. The added torque converter would likely eliminate most of things we Ford DCT owners complain about.

The Mazda's mileage is slightly better than the Focus and its transmission was judged a strong point. Not that I want a Mazda, mind you, but if only...
Plus it supposedly uses a wet clutch. That could also be a key difference regarding some of the problems "some" of us have.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #764
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,848, Level 32
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Plus it supposedly uses a wet clutch. That could also be a key difference regarding some of the problems "some" of us have.
Good thing they aren't design defects!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #765
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,210, Level 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Good thing they aren't design defects!
Ha!!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #766
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,230, Level 35
Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy14 View Post
Got the TSB last week and had an interesting thing happen this weekend. Was going down a very long, steep hill so the car shifted to a lower gear as expected. When I hit the flat at the bottom it stayed in that gear (3rd) revving at about 5000rpm for a good 45 seconds before it figured out it should shift to a higher gear...
Hey safetyguy14,

Let me know if this becomes an increased concern for you. A PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact will begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
...My car is going in next Monday for a diagnosis. Not optimistic, but I'll post any interesting news.
Hello dan50,

I'm throwing all my optimistic feeling towards ya! Can you see it?! Shoot me a PM if you need assistance and keep me posted on the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSandler View Post
My Car is set to be built on 3/26...guess the new clutch should be in place.
Hi EliSandler,

Congratulations on the new Focus!

If you like; I can track it down for you. Send me a PM with the sales order number and dealer location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
...I'd like to point out that I had SEVERE shuddering & clanging/grinding after about the first week...My wife & I share the car so maybe the hard shuddering & clanging was because it was trying to adapt to her driving habits. But since she experienced the same shuddering & clanging, there may have been a 3rd mystery driver causing all the commotion...
Hey Black Bengal;

Delighted to learn your Focus is driving much smoother for you and the wife! Let me know if I can assist in the future; I'll be more than happy to escalate a concern to the Customer Service Manager about Casper. Problematic mystery drivers are in the realm of passenger seat drivers; not welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Keep on enlightening the public on this, as its even spread to FordCustomerService on these forums! NO adaptive learning ever occurs, except for the 10 minute or so procedure the tech has to perform after a flash has been applied.
Hi st falcon,

There have been Focus owners who have a better driving experience after the transmission has been re-flashed and have commented on how the Focus seems to adjust to their driving habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
...After chasing my dealership for almost 4+ months I got the latest update in early February...Its now been about a month and 1200 miles later and it is unbelievably better...after 9 frigging months of DCT & MFT frustration I am so thrilled to drive this car. The MFT update that I downloaded and installed myself Friday night has put a huge smile on my face.
Oh, believe it or not my mileage has increased and I'm not babying the thing at all (avg. of 29.5 now 32).
Now to find the district rep. and complain about my dealers service group...
jbird1955,

Well, the next time you have a concern, just chase me via PM. Once I receive it with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info, I'll be able to escalate your case to the Customer Service Manager.

Enjoy the Focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
From what i read on this forum most people do not like it ,they are all gripeing
Quote:
There are many who have said they have no problems and I think it's true that more people come on to these forums to gripe than to shower praise. So this forum is probably not a realistic sample of all Focus owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Again they wouldn't be on a forum generally to sing the car's praises, but the small but vocal community doesn't make up the entire population of people who have the cars, and those who are happy tend not to yell and stick out their necks about it, even if the car was fine for them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
Also earlier on when someone who DID like their DCT said so the one who were having problems went after those positive comments and said in effect shut up, this is about the PROBLEMS not the good stuff!! So most just quit trying to say how it isn't ALL bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
...its a fact that a DCT isnt as mushy as a conventional auto, and maybe thats why people dont think the DCT is smooth...its a different beast, and people like kam327 can voice their concerns while remaining objective.
Hello all,

The great thing about this forum is the ability for owners to vent their frustration and/or shower their accolades about the Focus. Regardless of which side they fall on, my partners and I work to address concerns and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
My DCT is far superior to any "automatic" I've ever owned or driven. Is it perfect? No. But then again, what is? Since having the TSB applied and enjoying the tranny holding gears a bit longer before the upshift, I like it all the more.
Hi bsp_53,

Cheers to you and your Focus!

I love it when frustrations turn to honest accolades. Thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongone13 View Post
Mine seems to get me now. I've driven a few Foci, but the others were just LAGGY. This one seems to hold 1st long enough not to just dog on me. The one thing they NEED to change?...The MINI has a gated shifter, and that adds so much to the driving experience. Without the gates, I'd rather have a manual, honestly.
thelongone13,

You seem passionate about this?! Ford reps and engineers are passionate about your comments and Social.Ford.com is just the right medium to post your passionate comments; with a bit of editing, of course.

Talk to you all soon!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 03-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #767
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,848, Level 32
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Noemi, thanks for the offer. How about a swap: just transplant bsp_51's DCT into my car. Seems like a reasonable solution to me. Heck, I'll even drive to the transplant site!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #768
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

Points 143, Level 2
Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
I'm happy with the Powershift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
From what i read on this forum most people do not like it ,they are all gripeing
Maybe those dissatisfied with the powershift are more motivated to post their complaints.

I happen to really like the powershift.

I drove a Infiniti G35 with the 6sp manual, and after 9 years pushing a (heavy) clutch, this is great.

The powershift isn't perfect. Occasional clunks, but I still prefer this over a standard automatic with a torque converter.

Paddle shifters, and quicker gear changes in sport mode would be nice.

All in all though, I'm not griping.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #769
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Hi everyone,

What is the best approach to make PCM and TCM to learn anything ? I am not kidding, I just had my TSB update done and I see now :

- the rpms at idle are greater and the car "shakes" as never before
- from full stop, pressing on the pedal feels like the car has no power

It does keep the rpms before shifting, but... I think the TSB for me is an downgrade rather than an upgrade right now. On the file there is written that the drive cycle has been performed after the update... Really ?!?

P.S. If I want to repeat the drive cycle myself, how long should I unplug the battery before doing it ?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #770
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,848, Level 32
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Hi everyone,

What is the best approach to make PCM and TCM to learn anything ? I am not kidding, I just had my TSB update done and I see now :

- the rpms at idle are greater and the car "shakes" as never before
- from full stop, pressing on the pedal feels like the car has no power

It does keep the rpms before shifting, but... I think the TSB for me is an downgrade rather than an upgrade right now. On the file there is written that the drive cycle has been performed after the update... Really ?!?

P.S. If I want to repeat the drive cycle myself, how long should I unplug the battery before doing it ?
This was after 12-1-4? Not sure how long the battery needs to be disconnected (somewhere in here is someone who did just that, but I can't find it quickly), but I'd think 5 minutes or so should be enough if that actually erases the "learning" memory.

It could also heal itself with a bit of driving. Good luck with it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.