DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 76 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #751
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You should at least test drive the powershift to see how you like it. It seems that most people who have one like it.
From what i read on this forum most people do not like it ,they are all gripeing
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #752
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
From what i read on this forum most people do not like it ,they are all gripeing
There are many who have said they have no problems and I think it's true that more people come on to these forums to gripe than to shower praise. So this forum is probably not a realistic sample of all Focus owners.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #753
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,858, Level 66
Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Again they wouldn't be on a forum generally to sing the car's praises, but the small but vocal community doesn't make up the entire population of people who have the cars, and those who are happy tend not to yell and stick out their necks about it, even if the car was fine for them.

I've seen both sides of the issue from a distance, as I am still contemplating acquiring one sometime soon (a 2012 Focus that is), that if all the vocal complaints were accurate how could they disprove the good experience I had in both a test track environment, as well as in an abused rental car that was stained and a bit dirty inside, but mechanically shifted like silk being pulled across skin. Mathematically the DCT is the more efficient gearbox at freeway speeds, even though it does cost more upfront and is far more sophisticated than the simple sliding gear single clutch manual. The manual which by the way was coming from Germany when the DCT was coming from Mexico.

I do not mind and actually enjoy shifting gears myself, as long as I'm not caught in block to block, heavy traffic, but besides the slightly larger tires effectively tweaking the gearing taller the new Focus manual isn't really geared any better than my old and current car. It also weighs more which hurts mpg in city driving when its that inertia that you need to overcome to get the car moving, however on the freeway its engine speed and aerodynamics that play a larger component than vehicle weight, at least on level pavement.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #754
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 876, Level 15
Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Again they wouldn't be on a forum generally to sing the car's praises, but the small but vocal community doesn't make up the entire population of people who have the cars, and those who are happy tend not to yell and stick out their necks about it, even if the car was fine for them
Also earlier on when someone who DID like their DCT said so the one who were having problems went after those positive comments and said in effect shut up, this is about the PROBLEMS not the good stuff!! So most just quit trying to say how it isn't ALL bad.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #755
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
Also earlier on when someone who DID like their DCT said so the one who were having problems went after those positive comments and said in effect shut up, this is about the PROBLEMS not the good stuff!! So most just quit trying to say how it isn't ALL bad.
yep! I like it, with S mode its there when i want it to be, and in D it's smooth and efficient. its a fact that a DCT isnt as mushy as a conventional auto, and maybe thats why people dont think the DCT is smooth...its a different beast, and people like kam327 can voice their concerns while remaining objective.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #756
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
i like the DCT 1000x better than a traditional automatic.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #757
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
My DCT is far superior to any "automatic" I've ever owned or driven. Is it perfect? No. But then again, what is? Since having the TSB applied and enjoying the tranny holding gears a bit longer before the upshift, I like it all the more.

Hatch Nation #174
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #758
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
IMHO, the DCT represents more of a crap-shoot than any major component of any car you can buy today. You should take a really long test drive, or better yet rent one before you buy. Even if you like what you drive, you can't be sure the one you actually get will behave the same way.

You odds of getting a good one are pretty high, but not 100%. To make matters slightly worse, if you do have problems, the dealer network seems somewhat unprepared to fix them. This may be inevitable when a completely new technology is introduced, but it is the situation owners have to deal with.

Me? Mine behaves OK most of the time, though it has high temperature shudder at launch, is rather difficult to drive smoothly and, because it upshifts really early, can feel sluggish. So I guess I'm not a fan...can't help but think how much better it would be with a contemporary 6 speed conventional automatic.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #759
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Most of us love our DCTs...when they work right! I love mine!

Most of us hate our DCTs...when they don't work right. See a trend here?

I would not want the DCT without select-shift, but that's just me.

If they would just make the select-shift gear changes much quicker, it would be better. Always room for improvement.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #760
thelongone13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95644
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thelongone13 Good Standing Member
Mine seems to get me now. I've driven a few Foci, but the others were just LAGGY. This one seems to hold 1st long enough not to just dog on me. The one thing they NEED to change? A GOD DAMNED GATED SHIFTER DAMMIT. I HATE the selectshift rocker thing, NEVER use it. The MINI has a gated shifter, and that adds so much to the driving experience. Without the gates, I'd rather have a manual, honestly.

A Ford Focus driver with ADD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.