A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #51
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94641
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Murray5476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Since all of these cars are under ford warranty...It would probably be a good idea to let ford find a fix for this problem. I don't think it is a good idea to be tearing our cars apart
in hopes of a temporary fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #52
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray5476 View Post
Since all of these cars are under ford warranty...It would probably be a good idea to let ford find a fix for this problem. I don't think it is a good idea to be tearing our cars apart
in hopes of a temporary fix.
Yeah, that's true but I seriously doubt Ford will find any defect with the system. Its just road noise due to the lack of insulation in this particular car. They'll tell you if you wanted a BMW quality hands-free you should have bought a BMW. LOL

I"m just trying to improve it what little I can.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I would not be so sure of that. I have a brother in law how is a salaried employee of ford motor company. I bought my car under his ford A Plan. He knows that this is the only problem I am having with a car that otherwise I am very happy with. He is not going to let this go until he knows I am satasified. Ford need to hear people complain about the problem. Why not let them hear our complaints?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #54
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
tell your inside man to fix mine too.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #55
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Here's something we can try. This works best if you have a way to call into your voicemail and play back while your still in the car. Usually most VM systems will let you review your message or clear it and start over. If not get someone to test with you. If your VM is recording and your not speaking you'll hear a boat load of road noise on playback. To determine if this is coming in from the inside. Place the palm of your hand over the Mic and see if the playback is silent or not. If your still able to hear a bunch of roadnoise then the mic has got to be picking up a lot from the underside of the headliner. If it's totally silent then the source of the road noise is coming from the interior of the car and if thats the case your best bet is dynamat the sheetmetal of the roof.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet. Road my motorcycle to work today but when I get a chance to try it I'll let ya know what I find.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #56
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

My dealership now has a sync module on order from ford for my vehicle..
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #57
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray5476 View Post
My dealership now has a sync module on order from ford for my vehicle..
I'd be interested to see if that does anything. Since everyone has experieced the same issue at highway speeds, and because the insulation fixes it, I think the modules are OK, but again, interested to see what happens.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #58
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
Thanks to everyone in this thread I was able to pop out the whole assembly on my titanium and neatly install some foam insulation so it fills the area above the microphone. My car has a sunroof so directly above my microphone was the sunroof motor not just sheetmetal. I made sure the foam I installed completely sealed off the backside of the mic as I felt this should provide the best outside noise reduction for the amount of disassembly I was willing to do.
For those with a sunroof I can see how you could do a decent job just stuffing the insulation in through the back of the headliner without popping out the mic/sunglass assembly.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
Thanks to everyone in this thread I was able to pop out the whole assembly on my titanium and neatly install some foam insulation so it fills the area above the microphone. My car has a sunroof so directly above my microphone was the sunroof motor not just sheetmetal. I made sure the foam I installed completely sealed off the backside of the mic as I felt this should provide the best outside noise reduction for the amount of disassembly I was willing to do.
For those with a sunroof I can see how you could do a decent job just stuffing the insulation in through the back of the headliner without popping out the mic/sunglass assembly.
Nothing beats sitting on the center arm rest with your head sticking up through the roof working on this. lol

So how where the results of your sound quality with the foam in place?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #60
Murray5476
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I'd be interested to see if that does anything. Since everyone has experieced the same issue at highway speeds, and because the insulation fixes it, I think the modules are OK, but again, interested to see what happens.
I was told by my dealership, the module could take a few days to arrive. I will post the results. I told my dealership about the insulation. They installed insulation. Had no effect on my phone conversations.

Bookmarks & Social Networks