DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 74 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #731
Bansheeman6100
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96086
What I Drive: 1992 Mustang LX

FF Reputation: 1 Bansheeman6100 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i had contemplated getting an automatic, but i think im gonna stick with ordering a 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #732
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeman6100 View Post
i had contemplated getting an automatic, but i think im gonna stick with ordering a 5-speed
You should at least test drive the powershift to see how you like it. It seems that most people who have one like it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #733
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Got the TSB last week and had an interesting thing happen this weekend. Was going down a very long, steep hill so the car shifted to a lower gear as expected. When I hit the flat at the bottom it stayed in that gear (3rd) revving at about 5000rpm for a good 45 seconds before it figured out it should shift to a higher gear...

Strange.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #734
EliSandler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94873
What I Drive: Black 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 EliSandler Good Standing Member
Was it in Sport mode or Drive?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #735
EliSandler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94873
What I Drive: Black 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 EliSandler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You should at least test drive the powershift to see how you like it. It seems that most people who have one like it.
When I test drove it a few weeks back, I noticed no problems with the Powershift whatsoever, and I had it in stop and go traffic. That pretty much sealed the deal.

Curious, my build order is set for March 26th, how long does it usually take from build date to the dealer? I live in LI NY
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #736
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
When was your car built?
My car was built in December 2011, so it has always had the long rivet (green) clutches; however, I'd like to point out that I had SEVERE shuddering & clanging/grinding after about the first week. Since the car drove & shifted as smoothly as glass the first week after I bought it, I naturally don't put a lot of stock in how any DCT performs on a test drive. To compound matters, the dealership service manager has reiterated several times that the DCT has to go through its "adaptive learning" process. That is, the DCT is supposed to adapt to my driving habits during the first 1,000 miles. My wife & I share the car so maybe the hard shuddering & clanging was because it was trying to adapt to her driving habits. But since she experienced the same shuddering & clanging, there may have been a 3rd mystery driver causing all the commotion...
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #737
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
My car was built in December 2011, so it has always had the long rivet (green) clutches; however, I'd like to point out that I had SEVERE shuddering & clanging/grinding after about the first week. Since the car drove & shifted as smoothly as glass the first week after I bought it, I naturally don't put a lot of stock in how any DCT performs on a test drive. To compound matters, the dealership service manager has reiterated several times that the DCT has to go through its "adaptive learning" process. That is, the DCT is supposed to adapt to my driving habits during the first 1,000 miles. My wife & I share the car so maybe the hard shuddering & clanging was because it was trying to adapt to her driving habits. But since she experienced the same shuddering & clanging, there may have been a 3rd mystery driver causing all the commotion...
Same as me; early December build; severe shuddering after the first week. But it has calmed down greatly after a more proactive attempt to break in the clutches and now shudders mildly only after 20 mins. in stop and go.

Apparently the adaptive learning process is greatly misunderstood. It does not "learn how you drive" rather it determines how best to shift the particular hardware you have given slight differences due to manufacturing tolerances. It sounds like it's become a convenient line some service depts. have adopted to just get you to go away...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #738
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Same as me; early December build; severe shuddering after the first week. But it has calmed down greatly after a more proactive attempt to break in the clutches and now shudders mildly only after 20 mins. in stop and go.

Apparently the adaptive learning process is greatly misunderstood. It does not "learn how you drive" rather it determines how best to shift the particular hardware you have given slight differences due to manufacturing tolerances. It sounds like it's become a convenient line some service depts. have adopted to just get you to go away...
My DCT has performed much better since the dealership last updated the software (TSB) after the car was warmed up.

How specifically did (or do) you break in the DST? Is that something you continue to do?

You are absolutely correct about the "adaptive learning" concept being a convenient excuse for some dealerships.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #739
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
My DCT has performed much better since the dealership last updated the software (TSB) after the car was warmed up.

How specifically did (or do) you break in the DST? Is that something you continue to do?

You are absolutely correct about the "adaptive learning" concept being a convenient excuse for some dealerships.
Five full throttle 0-60's in a row on a deserted country road seemed to make a big improvement immediately. And I've just been acclerating faster in general since then. Seems not to have negatively affected fuel economy, it may have even helped it a little.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #740
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Five full throttle 0-60's in a row on a deserted country road seemed to make a big improvement immediately. And I've just been acclerating faster in general since then. Seems not to have negatively affected fuel economy, it may have even helped it a little.
Keep on enlightening the public on this, as its even spread to FordCustomerService on these forums! NO adaptive learning ever occurs, except for the 10 minute or so procedure the tech has to perform after a flash has been applied.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->