A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #41
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsubt3xt View Post
I dynamated the entire area.
I was skimming through this thread and thought you said "dynamited" the area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #42
FZJ80
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94540
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5-Door Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FZJ80 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Has anyone tried or have thoughts on using that dense foam material, the kind you usually sit on at the game or what some use to kneel on when working on flooring, etc. I wonder if that might be better or worse than that sound deadening material .
I didn't have any dynamat or foam lying around. I'm a cheapskate, so rather than buying some I used what I could find in the basement; carpet insulation. It's not the foam kind, it's more like 3/8" thick mohair. I don't have a sunroof, so I had to cut a few pieces and stuff them up through the hole where the sunglasses holder is. Works like a champ. No more yelling at my MFT on the highway.. . "Tuning to... 'Coffee House'. NOT COFFEE HOUSE DAMMIT! HOWARD 100! HOW DID YOU GET 'COFFEE HOUSE' FROM 'HOWARD 100'!?! AARRGGHHH!!!"
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #43
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I took some of that dense foam. The kind you kneel on so you dont screw up your knees.

First of all I fought like hell to get the plastic console to drop down from the headliner and when I got it down it really didn't benefit me to do that so I ended up snapping it back in place. It was actually easier to insert the foam from the top where I could access the back of the console with the sun roof open.

So I jammed a piece that fit directly over the top of the mic and it sealed it off pretty well. Then I put another longer piece in front of that.

When I took it for a test drive. Just driving through my neighborhood and recording the call into my work voicemail. Play back still sounded like a lot of wind noise, however I could talk and hear what I was saying but the moment you stop talking you'd hear the wind noise.

I don't know why the foam piece wouldn't be just as effective as anything else. Maybe in order to achieve the best results that Im looking for I will have to remove the headliner and apply the dynamat to the entire roof.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #44
Dysan911
Focus Addict

captainsubt3xt,

BTW, How difficult was it to remove the headliner?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #45
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Tried pulling on the sunglass/mic housing but it wasn't giving. Any tips for a safe removal?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #46
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Matt,

If it wasn't for my being able to reach it from the top through the open sun roof I don't think I could have gotten the housing down. It has several tabs that snap locked all around the perimeter of it. Even having access to pry the tabs back enough from the back side and release it there were 2 in the front that were a major PITA to release.

Once I had it all down I saw no benefit and snapped it back in place and proceeded to insulate the back side through the sunroof.

Good luck w/Yours
B.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #47
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
aww... I knew I should've gotten the sunroof
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #48
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Matt, Page one has a video that may help show you how to pop yours out. Provided yours is like the one featured.

IDEA: Has anyone considered relocating the mic lower to a different location in the car that would be further away from the sheet metal (Roof) of the car? I disconnected the mic when I dropped my overhead console and it doesn't look but to be a few wires that could easily be lengthened. The question would be were though to relocate the mic. Hmmm..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #49
kbass24emtp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87665
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 kbass24emtp Good Standing Member
I was able to get the sunglass console down. It was at first a PITA, but I looked at the pics of it and saw where the tabs on the side were and put a small screwdriver in there and got them to pop. What I did was find where the side tab was and put the screwdriver blade there and then pushed down on the handle and it made a loud pop and came out. I about sh_t my pants, cause I thought I broke it, but it was okay. Once I got the side tabs out the rest was not bad. Once I got it down I stuffed Polyfill (the stuff in pillows) that I bought to use on my sub box in my truck and just stuffed it full. I still get some noise on the hyw at 70+, but it is a vast improvement over what is was, but I can live with it. It could be the phone cause some days are better than others and my wife has an old HTC Hero.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Yeah I think there is a definite degree of road noise coming in from the inside of the car that the mic is picking up. Its just a very sensitive mic with probably the sensitivity set high by Ford. So even if you completely eliminate the back side of the mic your still going to pick up the wind noise that's audible from inside, even if it doesn't seem like its that loud to our ears.

Bookmarks & Social Networks