TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Triborough
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92479
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Triborough Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB?

I took the car in for the steering wander at highway speeds issue. Initially, it was not covered by the previous TSB for the problem as it was a later build date - 29.11.2011.

Install Steering Gear per TSB 12-02-17
Replaced Rack Assembly as per TSB 12-02-17

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Our Focus was built 12/1/2011. It definitely exhibits the "breakover" force issue steering from just R of neutral to L and then back again from just L of neutral to R at highway speeds.

Was this what you were experiencing? Did this fix it?

Does anybody know the root cause of this? Are the new parts different/better? Installed differently? The effectivity of this TSB seems to keep changing to pick up more, later, dates. You'd think they'd get tired of building cars with this problem and then having to pay out in warranty claims to fix them in the field.

(of course, I'm also the guy with a BMW with the N54 engine and the much discussed chronic "no problem here" high pressure fuel pump that they redesigned and campaigned and denied and redesigned and denied and ultimately recalled across four or five different models and three or four model years.)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
Our Focus was built 12/1/2011. It definitely exhibits the "breakover" force issue steering from just R of neutral to L and then back again from just L of neutral to R at highway speeds.

Does anybody know the root cause of this? Are the new parts different/better? Installed differently? The effectivity of this TSB seems to keep changing to pick up more, later, dates. You'd think they'd get tired of building cars with this problem and then having to pay out in warranty claims to fix them in the field.

(of course, I'm also the guy with a BMW with the N54 engine and the much discussed chronic "no problem here" high pressure fuel pump that they redesigned and campaigned and denied and redesigned and denied and ultimately recalled across four or five different models and three or four model years.)
The breakover force issue, is exactly what was happening (and continues to happen to unknowing owners) of a small % of '09, '10, and '11 Toyota Corolla's with EPAS.

I ask why, rhetorically, can't they get this EPAS problem solved????!!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
I know! They should leave it off the cars until they have it figured out. How much of an economy gain is there? Wonder if it's worth the trade-off.

That said, once you have the steering gear changed (as I have), the car will drive much better. But, it's still not as good as a hydraulic setup.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

My understanding is that a position sensor (not properly assembled/calibrated) is to blame.

TSB 12-2-17 applies to cars built on or before 12/12/2011.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
does anybody have access to this TSB content/details? (like the DCT one)... my steering wheel is acting up, feeling loose, wandering at low speeds, even my hands get tired after my daily commute. (my focus was built last oct.)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
does anybody have access to this TSB content/details? (like the DCT one)... my steering wheel is acting up, feeling loose, wandering at low speeds, even my hands get tired after my daily commute. (my focus was built last oct.)
I too am experiencing this issue, but it is at low speeds, not highway speeds like the TSB indicates. Just started happening a couple weeks ago. Thought I was just tired and wasn't paying attention since I just changed work shifts, but it is definitely the car itself. Build date is 8/30/11. Since I haven't had time to get these things looked at (this isn't my only issue) I am probably going to take a day or two off work to get these issues fixed all in one go since it seems most are covered by one TSB or another.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
My understanding is that a position sensor (not properly assembled/calibrated) is to blame.

TSB 12-2-17 applies to cars built on or before 12/12/2011.
Anybody know if the replacement parts are new numbers or the same just supposedly made properly this time? If you keep doing what you've been doing, you're going to keep getting what you've been getting...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
realbug
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95273
What I Drive: 2012 ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 realbug Good Standing Member
I sent my car in last week for this issue and the dealer agreed to perform the TSB and ordered related parts. They'll do the replacement tomorrow and I'll see if it actually solves the problem.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My parts are on order and they said back order for 30 days
http://www.rebeldevil.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->