DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 72 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #711
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Picked-up my focus from the dealer today, and no clutch shudder on even gears. Fantastic. Thanks for your help Noemi!...
r1derbike,

You're most welcome! Enjoy your Focus and let me know if I can assist in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I need to get this done... I hope my dealer cooperates. I'll ask them if they can do it at my next oil change in about 1000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I know this sounds weird but after the MFT update my car shifts better... Maybe it's the nicer weather.
Hey me2000,

Is your Focus experiencing symptoms? If so, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

As for the connection between MFT and better shifting car; I say just enjoy both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Thought I was out of the woods with my DCT having accumulated 2,000 miles. However at the end of a 150 mile interstate highway trip today the dreaded launch "shudder" was back with a vengeance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
...My car is going in next Monday for a diagnosis. Not optimistic, but I'll post any interesting news.
Hey dan50,

Sorry to hear...

I'll be happy to help you with this. You know the drill - PM with VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
When I went to my dealer to change my oil, I told them about the fact that sometimes the car was "lurching" at a stop-and-go and when on a ramp, the power wasn't there when I pushed the gas pedal (the car being in a higher gear than it should and didn't want to downshift when the gas pedal was pressed). They did the TSB without a problem, even thought they couldn't reproduce (at least that was written on the file they gave me).
Hi VOLDAR,

Love, love, love to hear happy dealer visit accounts. If you like, post it on Social.Ford.com so that Ford family members and execs can appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I believe this to be 100% true...
Pulling away from my first stop after exiting the highway, the car shuddered badly. It had never done it up until that point...
Hey Rememo,

Let's get the Customer Service Manger in your area involved. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Guys, I am in the exact same boat. December 2 build, January update applied, 1450 miles on it now. I had violent "hot shudder" until I did the 5 full throttles and started driving more aggresively and it was reduced to a mildly jerky start...
I know some have recommended "just don't creep" and to always make hard starts, but that's just not always possible in heavy suburban traffic...
Hello again kam327,

Glad your Focus is smoothing out. Let me know if I can help you by contacting the Customer Service Manager on your behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
I notice when the Deftones are playing my car shudders.
cacophonous,

Obviously your Focus must be a Bon Jovi fan instead?!

Take care all; talk to you throughout the week!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #712
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

Points 264, Level 5
Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Picked-up my focus from the dealer today, and no clutch shudder on even gears.

Your initial experience with the DCT is exactly what I experienced back in December when I picked up my new '12 Ti in Ft Worth. Things became much different (worse) within the first week. I then got the latest TSB installed at my dealer & the shudder problem improved a lot, but has not ever totally returned to the flawless, always smooth performance of that first week of ownership.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #713
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Points 264, Level 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Just had a thought - I might remove the engine bay lower cover to get more cooling airflow on the tranny.
Kam327, I changed oil in my '12 for the first time last week & I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to change oil & filter without the bottom cover. I figured out how to do it without taking the cover off completely so I can live with it. My '09 SES is much easier to service, as it doesn't have that bottom cover. I never considered that increased cooling might be necessary, but the engine will stay more clean with the cover on!

BTW, I always perform the initial oil change in a new car within 1,500 miles or so, then go with the longer recommended intervals from then on.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #714
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
Kam327, I changed oil in my '12 for the first time last week & I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to change oil & filter without the bottom cover. I figured out how to do it without taking the cover off completely so I can live with it. My '09 SES is much easier to service, as it doesn't have that bottom cover. I never considered that increased cooling might be necessary, but the engine will stay more clean with the cover on!

BTW, I always perform the initial oil change in a new car within 1,500 miles or so, then go with the longer recommended intervals from then on.
Cool. I changed my oil on Friday for the first time too, 1,450 miles. See here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281650

I can't imagine how you did it without taking the cover completely off. The filter and drain plug are well hidden by and at opposite ends of the cover. Anyway I found it took probably 5 minutes to take off and another 5 to put back on so it's a minor hassle. I think after I finish this current tank I'll take it off and drive it for a couple of tanks to see if there's any effect on tranny shudder and fuel economy.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #715
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Points 264, Level 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Cool. I changed my oil on Friday for the first time too, 1,450 miles. See here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281650

I can't imagine how you did it without taking the cover completely off. The filter and drain plug are well hidden by and at opposite ends of the cover. Anyway I found it took probably 5 minutes to take off and another 5 to put back on so it's a minor hassle. I think after I finish this current tank I'll take it off and drive it for a couple of tanks to see if there's any effect on tranny shudder and fuel economy.
kam327, it was a little bit tough to get the oil changed but as an old oilfield operator I like these challenges :)

Actually, I found that the bottom cover will actually bend enough without damaging it.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #716
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
Is the PCM update the same thing as the tsb 12-1-4. Im confused between the two terms? I have had the latest TSB done and still believe I have throttle delays.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #717
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanr09 View Post
Is the PCM update the same thing as the tsb 12-1-4. Im confused between the two terms? I have had the latest TSB done and still believe I have throttle delays.
Many have complained of mediocre throttle response on here, including me. I haven't heard of an update for it specifically, just that the TSB 12-1-4 update for the tranny improves the low end shifting response reducing lag that could be mistaken for poor throttle response I guess.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #718
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I have a car that was built 11/1/11 does that update work for me or for cars built earlier?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #719
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanr09 View Post
The Focus is an absolutely brilliant small car with two really significant flaws (IMHO at least): the behavior of the DCT and the soggy throttle response. My throttle response was so bad I test drove a new Focus off the lot for comparison. The new Focus was a lot worse. I have 12-1-4, so I think the throttle response issue is just the current nature of the beast.

One hint if you're a new owner: these things seem to drive better if your right foot is active. Rather than push the accelerator to a position and hold it there like a conventional automatic, it seems happier and more responsive if you use the accelerator sort of like you would in a manual trans car: add more throttle as you accelerate, back off a bit at shift time, add more throttle, etc..
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #720
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
Im at 7000k and just finished up the new 1000k mile update (12-1-4). I drove pretty fast sometimes making sure the transmission was trained. I was happy at first and now it is going back to its old ways with the low throttle. It is what it is. Thanks for the clarification

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.