My Ford Touch Thread - Page 67 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #661
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95657
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txskeets View Post
And to once again be clear...this is NOT pirated software. The software was obtained LEGALLY from a Ford dealership.
Not to get involved in this argument, as I wish it would stop, but there is a distinct difference between OBTAINED LEGALLY and DISTRIBUTED LEGALLY. I guarantee you that distributing the files independently violates the software license. Additionally, installing from that third-party source could possibly void your warranty on that system. Not that many people care. But I'm just saying. I bought MS Office legally, doesn't mean everyone who downloads a copy from my dropbox is also getting a legal copy.

Also, on the note of checksums... anyone who modified the file could remake a new set of checksums... it means nothing to the average user.

I don't think there's anyone who could hack these files without a lot of effort and incentive at this point. But it would be cool to pry them open with an editor and see what plain text strings can be changed for fun, and then re-upload with a new set of checksums.
mattphoto is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #662
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
They fixed one of my biggest gripes.

The reason for changing the indicator for every 2 volume steps (instead of 1 step in the previous version) should be obvious.
Nope...it shouldn't. There's no need to have that many notches if you're only going to *use* every other one. The worst part is if you change the volume when it's on one of the notches it won't even bring up the volume control until you change it further. It's completely ridiculous.

Please tell me how it's obvious...because if that were true I'd understand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
Probably get flamed for this, but I wonder why everyone who is complaining about the 'new' version is so upset? Did you WAIT for it to come as Ford intended or did you get it from the internet? Because they haven't sent it to you yet. Do you know this file is without bugs and loaded properly? Could it be that had you WAITED as you should have for the ACTUAL USB update you may not have these bugs? It is a COPY over the internet. Not the same. I know some expert will say it is the same but I wouldn't trust anything like that to a web based download. TOO much info to trust to all the issues. AND there was solar flair activities which cause issues with internet traffic. So maybe before you get so upset at Ford you should do what they intended, wait for it like you SHOULD have and then if it doesn't work you have some legitimate reason to complain. Your copy from the web is a pirated copy for all it will be public info soon. Don't blame Ford for your impatience and fraudulent copy.
I'm not going to write a wall of text ripping this post apart, out of respect...but I'll give the synopsis.

1) If you don't know how an MD5 checksum works, don't talk about piracy. You don't understand what it means, so it's pointless to explain to you how you're wrong. Just know this: It was an official update from Ford.

2) If you don't know how an installer can be encrypted with a PKE, don't talk about piracy. The installer can *ONLY* work if it were produced and sent from Ford. It can't be altered, in any way, before being installed...or it would fail.

3) Pirated copy? Not even going to touch this one. Read #2 and #1.

4) Solar Flares? First of all, don't believe people telling you it would affect internet traffic. Secondly, it happened at 7am this morning. People downloaded it yesterday. Lastly, if the download had been changed, the MD5 checksum would be different...meaning everyone that downloaded it would know there was a problem.

5) Finally, many people have gotten it installed *DIRECTLY* from Ford, at the dealerships. Many people have also already received their USB sticks. Stop spreading rumors.


Mattphoto: The installer can't be modified. It would affect the PKE and the install would be cancelled by the car. Once again, it's not possible.
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #663
bsp_53
Focus Addict
 
bsp_53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87580
Location: Millinocket, ME
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Posts: 683
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
Wow... You can download online from Ford directly...
That's what I did, right off sync my ride, as "they" intended (kudos, Rog, by the way, for sticking your neck out like that) ....

And an update:
My second go around went superb. She's been "upgraded" and is as all have reported. I'm pleased overall. Some of my favorite wallpapers don't work, but the Calvin and Hobbes one actually looks great.

I get it now about some of the buttons being out of scale. Most are as I'd expect, some are designed to be actuated via cane tip from the back seat.

I could not get it to crash / hang in 20 minutes of flubbing around. I paired the three cell phones no problem (still won't show my contact's pictures, oh well) and the 2gig USB drive indexed admirably. I'm kinda stuck on how to get this foolish thing to recognize my playlist. Time for more research, I guess.

The compass I have to laugh, as an outdoor professional, that design is the one most renown for being unreliable. Without driving around yet (it will likely re-calibrate itself), it was bass ackwards on direction. I am very thankful for the opportunity to trade a decent (albeit duplicate) temperature display for a cheap hardware store compass ... duplicate, of course. LOL, Whatever!!!
__________________
Gold Nugget: '12, 400A, Wintr Pckg, Yellow Blaze HB
Mods: Llumar Tint:35 / 20; K&N fltr + Snrkl Del.; Splashgrds; Grill Pinstripes
Hatch Nation #174
bsp_53 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #664
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89089
Location: North Charleston, SC
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

Posts: 409
FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Nope...it shouldn't. There's no need to have that many notches if you're only going to *use* every other one. The worst part is if you change the volume when it's on one of the notches it won't even bring up the volume control until you change it further. It's completely ridiculous.

Please tell me how it's obvious...because if that were true I'd understand.
I would also be very interested in this information. I can't fathom how this can be anything but an oversight. The only thing I can come up with is that the beta tester's cataracts made it such that they couldn't see it. (This would also explain a bunch of the inconsistent UI sizes.)
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Sterling Grey Metallic SEL Sedan
Ordered: 8/6/11 VIN: 9/6/11 Build Date: 8/30/11
Delivery: Originally estimated 9/19/11. Delivered 9/22/11. picked up 9/24/11.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
forceflow2 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #665
Zip60912
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93826
Location: Beaverville, United States
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium 4 dr

Posts: 29
FF Reputation: 1 Zip60912 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
...I get it now about some of the buttons being out of scale. Most are as I'd expect, some are designed to be actuated via cane tip from the back seat.
Bahahahahahahaha! Ohhhhhh shit that's funny!
__________________
2012 Focus Titanium Sedan
White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat
401A & Luxury Package & 17" Machined alloy painted wheels
Zip60912 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #666
smizak
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92058
Location: Buffalo, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

Posts: 219
FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
Probably get flamed for this, but I wonder why everyone who is complaining about the 'new' version is so upset? Did you WAIT for it to come as Ford intended or did you get it from the internet? Because they haven't sent it to you yet. Do you know this file is without bugs and loaded properly? Could it be that had you WAITED as you should have for the ACTUAL USB update you may not have these bugs? It is a COPY over the internet. Not the same. I know some expert will say it is the same but I wouldn't trust anything like that to a web based download. TOO much info to trust to all the issues. AND there was solar flair activities which cause issues with internet traffic. So maybe before you get so upset at Ford you should do what they intended, wait for it like you SHOULD have and then if it doesn't work you have some legitimate reason to complain. Your copy from the web is a pirated copy for all it will be public info soon. Don't blame Ford for your impatience and fraudulent copy.
Yep, solar flares caused the software to put up a bogus "maintenance" screen.

The same one BTW, that was used in an attempt to hide the last versions inadequacy and instability. In less than 24 hours after install and brought on by inserting a USB storage device. I would never even consider myself a developer and I've written USB drivers for products my company makes that have NEVER failed. Ford is a multi-billion dollar company who can't achieve that, I learned C programming off a freaking pdf for christ sakes. Forgive me for being critical.

For what it's worth, I verified MD5 checksums for all of the files that came from syncmyride.com, minus the extra that was on the DEALERS drive. They matched.
smizak is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #667
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,798
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
I get it now about some of the buttons being out of scale. Most are as I'd expect, some are designed to be actuated via cane tip from the back seat.
Hahaha! Yeah, I definitely didn't miss that line either.
PratoN is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #668
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85127
Location: Leander, TX
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nice guys! You used about 122,695.3545 MB of bandwidth on my site on 3/7. If my math is right (and I SUCK at math), that means roughly 175-180 of you downloaded the file from my site. Thats just cool. I had 1,429 Visitor hits on 3/8. Ive had visitors from the US, Canada, China, UK, Columbia, U.A.E., Japan and Russia. The bulk of the referring sites are from car enthusiast websites - focusfanatics.com(98), fordedgeforum.com(34), explorerforum.com(22), autohome.com.cn(1).

I think thats just pretty cool.
txskeets is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #669
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic
 
feta_mgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88210
Location: Vero Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Posts: 2,637
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txskeets View Post
Nice guys! You used about 122,695.3545 MB of bandwidth on my site on 3/7. If my math is right (and I SUCK at math), that means roughly 175-180 of you downloaded the file from my site. Thats just cool. I had 1,429 Visitor hits on 3/8. Ive had visitors from the US, Canada, China, UK, Columbia, U.A.E., Japan and Russia. The bulk of the referring sites are from car enthusiast websites - focusfanatics.com(98), fordedgeforum.com(34), explorerforum.com(22), autohome.com.cn(1).

I think thats just pretty cool.
You're officially an internet hero! Lmao. I'll bet it's the sites like us that caused Ford to put the update up on the SMR site so quickly, too.

I've experienced some small issues so far with the upgraded system. Sometimes when starting up the car and pressing Entertainment, it will be playing the radio and have my USB 1 highlighted... I can't access USB 1 without first pressing another button to highlight something other than the USB 1 button.

The fact that it starts up with the radio under entertainment instead of the USB 1 is a bug in itself in this case; USB 1 was the last thing I was listening to, and is still highlighted at startup, but the radio is playing instead.

Beyond that, so far so good for me.

smizak, I can only hope that your issue is a one-off and doesn't happen again... so far this update has been a hundred times better for me, I'd hate for it to be marred by stability issues like before.
__________________
2012 SGM SEL Sedan Job 1 BD 6/2011
FSWERKS Cool-Flo w/ ITG Filter | FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust | 17x7.5 Axis Sport XMX Graphite wheels | Eibach Sportlines on Ti Handling Pkg bits
Sonic Crew #28
feta_mgp is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #670
bsp_53
Focus Addict
 
bsp_53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87580
Location: Millinocket, ME
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Posts: 683
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
You're officially an internet hero! Lmao. I'll bet it's the sites like us that caused Ford to put the update up on the SMR site so quickly, too.

I've experienced some small issues so far with the upgraded system. Sometimes when starting up the car and pressing Entertainment, it will be playing the radio and have my USB 1 highlighted... I can't access USB 1 without first pressing another button to highlight something other than the USB 1 button.

The fact that it starts up with the radio under entertainment instead of the USB 1 is a bug in itself in this case; USB 1 was the last thing I was listening to, and is still highlighted at startup, but the radio is playing instead.

Beyond that, so far so good for me.

smizak, I can only hope that your issue is a one-off and doesn't happen again... so far this update has been a hundred times better for me, I'd hate for it to be marred by stability issues like before.
No ... he's My hero, lol ... that's pretty sweet!
__________________
Gold Nugget: '12, 400A, Wintr Pckg, Yellow Blaze HB
Mods: Llumar Tint:35 / 20; K&N fltr + Snrkl Del.; Splashgrds; Grill Pinstripes
Hatch Nation #174
bsp_53 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.