Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 83 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #821
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just registered on the forums to pitch in since I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus S Sedan last week with the 5 speed manual transmission. (I read about all the issues with the DCT and wanted to stay away from it. Besides once you learn to drive a manual who wants to go back! Am I right

Already 300 miles in and I'm finding issues so my fun is just beginning. Hopefully this is just a few simple issues but in my experience once they start they don't stop.

So far my issues consist of the following.

1. Miss alignment of the front bumper/fender (Driver side gap is larger than the passenger side (not a big deal but annoying when its new.)
2. Passenger side power window motor seems weak and takes longer to lower or raise the window.
3. Faint rattle on the driver side from within the engine compartment when engine is running and sitting still. (Have to be outside the car to hear it.)
4. Leak in the hydraulic clutch/brake cylinder.(Found fluid on the container above the cylinder.)
5. A faint clunk when the car is moving when pressing the clutch in to go to the next gear. It didn't do this last week but with no tension on the motor meaning foot off the gas pedal then there is no clunk when pressing the clutch in.

First service appointment is this week but man. I bought a new car not to have these issues right off the bat. This sure does make me feel very disappointed with Ford at least with this car.

I don't want to bash Ford over all as I have never had problems with Ford in the past. At least not at the brand new stage as my previous Ford which is 25 years old now and it's still chugging away on its original motor. (Minus other odd bits being replaced due to age/worn out.)

Here to hoping for the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #822
DurdySE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92855
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver 5dr SE

FF Reputation: 1 DurdySE Good Standing Member
I know you guys are gonna bust my chops for not searching more thoroughly, but I'm kinda pressed for time...

I have a 2012 SE hatch.

Went out to start it this morning, and front wipers don't work. Rear wiper works fine.

I searched this forum and found posts about older focuses having this problem, but nothing on brand new cars.

I can't afford to drop it off for Ford to keep forever, cuz I use it for work.

Any ideas? Anybody else have this problem?

Any positive and helpful feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #823
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurdySE View Post
I know you guys are gonna bust my chops for not searching more thoroughly, but I'm kinda pressed for time...

I have a 2012 SE hatch.

Went out to start it this morning, and front wipers don't work. Rear wiper works fine.

I searched this forum and found posts about older focuses having this problem, but nothing on brand new cars.

I can't afford to drop it off for Ford to keep forever, cuz I use it for work.

Any ideas? Anybody else have this problem?

Any positive and helpful feedback is appreciated.
Don't recall seeing this problem before. This is a good kind of problem to have: something doesn't work, no subjectivity about how it should work, no "can't duplicate the problem" excuse. It could be a bad switch, a loose connection, a blown fuse, etc., but it should be an easy thing to fix. But I think you're toning to hav to bring it in to the dealer.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #824
Drivingstick
Banned

Fan#: 94381
What I Drive: Black Mazda6

FF Reputation: 1 Drivingstick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertwo View Post
I just registered on the forums to pitch in since I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus S Sedan last week with the 5 speed manual transmission. (I read about all the issues with the DCT and wanted to stay away from it. Besides once you learn to drive a manual who wants to go back! Am I right

Already 300 miles in and I'm finding issues so my fun is just beginning. Hopefully this is just a few simple issues but in my experience once they start they don't stop.

So far my issues consist of the following.

1. Miss alignment of the front bumper/fender (Driver side gap is larger than the passenger side (not a big deal but annoying when its new.)
2. Passenger side power window motor seems weak and takes longer to lower or raise the window.
3. Faint rattle on the driver side from within the engine compartment when engine is running and sitting still. (Have to be outside the car to hear it.)
4. Leak in the hydraulic clutch/brake cylinder.(Found fluid on the container above the cylinder.)
5. A faint clunk when the car is moving when pressing the clutch in to go to the next gear. It didn't do this last week but with no tension on the motor meaning foot off the gas pedal then there is no clunk when pressing the clutch in.

First service appointment is this week but man. I bought a new car not to have these issues right off the bat. This sure does make me feel very disappointed with Ford at least with this car.

I don't want to bash Ford over all as I have never had problems with Ford in the past. At least not at the brand new stage as my previous Ford which is 25 years old now and it's still chugging away on its original motor. (Minus other odd bits being replaced due to age/worn out.)

Here to hoping for the best!
Would like to say that I'm surprised,but this is what "the New Ford" is all about.The cars are out of the assembly line ,are shipped at the dealerships,are washed and then delivered straight to the customers.This may work fine 95% of the times,but this also means that if a car had a problem,the customer is the one stuck with it.Yes Ford will fix it ,but not everyone can afford to lose a day or two of work to get their car fixed.This is one of the major reasons why people started to buy Japanese and Korean cars.They are pretty much the same price and sometimes even cheaper ,but before delivering the car ,they inspect it and do a good 10 miles road test.If the problems are minor,they are fixed ,major ones are sent back to the assembly lines or are simply disposed of.Most manufacturers charge pretty much the same for shipping and preparation of the car,but you are far from getting the same for your money.While other will do a complete inspection , Ford will simply pull the dipstick,check the lights and wash the car.

So seriously,what was the purpose of skipping on the bailout if the end result is to give " good enough" quality instead of excellent?

If I wanted good enough ,I would buy a Dodge knowing what I was getting myself into.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #825
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
This all started on 2/17/12 with this response to the original PM that was never responded to on 2/10/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi CSVT2060;
...snip.....

I apologize for the delay in my response. Due to the detailed nature of your questions, it takes me a bit of time to fully research my resources. I have reached out to the Brand Manger in order to assure a full and complete response to your question and will reply as soon as I receive the info.

Thanks,

Noemi
Then on 2/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
I am going to have to note here that it's now been 2 weeks and I have not received a response or a read message receipt. I have also sent additional information on the rainlamp/rain sensor situation today. I hope this issue does not transfer over to the new 2013 Escape, or get ready for even more customer complaints. I think we deserve some acknowledgement on the issue at this point. Let's get transparent and work together to improve the product.

Also, your PM box is full.
Then on 2/29/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello csvt2060,

As I stated before, your questions are quite detailed. I am not an engineer or a technician so it does require thorough research from multiple individuals and departments in order to assure a correct answer from time to time.

As to not posting on this specific thread, please keep in mind that I am active on several forums and threads and not in the business of ignoring a customer’s concern. I definitely strive to be as transparent as possible with everyone I interact with and thank you for your patience.

As soon I have the information you’re requesting I will send you an update.

Noemi
Then on 3/8/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
I sent the original PM on 2/10, so it's been almost 1 month and no response. It's hard to believe that Ford is taking our issues and feedback seriously when I can't get a response in a reasonable amount of time. If I took this long to address customer concerns in my job, I would have huge issues on my hands. Once again this comes off as poor customer service and zero acknowledgment of issues with this car. What else could I think of it?

I didn't even get a "thank you for your feedback, we will get back to you within x days". I had to come to this thread to even get that type of response to my originial PM which is plain unprofessional.

If I knew I wouldn't be wasting my time writing a letter to Ford, I would have a 10 page document at their doorstep. But past conversations here, on the phone, and through dealership communication have been very upsetting and discouraging to say the least. I don't know if my letter would even be addressed or acknowledged so I won't bother.

As I said in my PM, I hope if Ford isn't going to address or fix these niggling issues on the 2012 Focus, please please please do yourselves a favor and fix them on the 2013 Escape and Focus (same chassis). If not, you are opening yourselves up to an even larger audience of unhappy customers. As a Ford shareholder, this kind of stuff really concerns me.
Today 3/15/12

Still no response. If I have to take the time to call into you guys and talk to your supervisor I will. This is unacceptable, rude, and unprofessional and doesn't set a good image for Ford Motor Company. I am ashamed as a stockholder.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #826
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingstick View Post
Would like to say that I'm surprised,but this is what "the New Ford" is all about.The cars are out of the assembly line ,are shipped at the dealerships,are washed and then delivered straight to the customers.This may work fine 95% of the times,but this also means that if a car had a problem,the customer is the one stuck with it.Yes Ford will fix it ,but not everyone can afford to lose a day or two of work to get their car fixed.This is one of the major reasons why people started to buy Japanese and Korean cars.They are pretty much the same price and sometimes even cheaper ,but before delivering the car ,they inspect it and do a good 10 miles road test.If the problems are minor,they are fixed ,major ones are sent back to the assembly lines or are simply disposed of.Most manufacturers charge pretty much the same for shipping and preparation of the car,but you are far from getting the same for your money.While other will do a complete inspection , Ford will simply pull the dipstick,check the lights and wash the car.

So seriously,what was the purpose of skipping on the bailout if the end result is to give " good enough" quality instead of excellent?

If I wanted good enough ,I would buy a Dodge knowing what I was getting myself into.
I understand what you mean and yes I can't really afford any more time being lost due to the car and hell I did this so I wouldn't have this problem for a while. I spent enough time just test driving and then haggling the dealerships down in price till it got to where I wanted. Thankfully my boss understands and as long as I made up the hours I was fine. However that's days I had to work longer hours which isn't any fun. Thankfully my company has tomorrow off so that why I have my appointments tomorrow but who knows how long they might hold on to the car.

Anyway I hope this works out for the best as I don't want to have to go the other way with this. I'd have to start the car buying process all over again though be it at a later stage since I already have an idea of what I am looking for.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #827
jbonham
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95087
What I Drive: 2012 silver Focus SE 5spd hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbonham Good Standing Member
Hi all

Thought I'd report my experience.

2012 Focus SE 5spd hatch manual, purchased 1/2012, 3000 miles.

Issues:
- Extremely poor fuel economy (19 mpg city, 30 hwy)
- Knocking sound in front end when breaking, I can feel the knocks on the break and clutch pedal. Sounds like a loose part.
- The engine sounds like a diesel tractor on cold starts, then it gets smoother.
- Engine occasionally knocks when idle.
- iPod connection no longer works (I hear it needs to be rebooted by pulling a fuse)
- SYNC cannot index tracks if you have a certain number of songs (I have about 140 GB.)
- Sometimes I close the car and the radio stays on.

The good stuff:
- Handling is truly excellent for a $21k car
- Voice commands work surprisingly well; I drove an SEL rental last December that just could not understand me at all, but mine seems to work ok.
- Sport seats are excellent
- Fit and finish is pretty decent. There's a tiny rattle from the right side when listening to the radio, but nothing serious.

Other minor annoyances:
- Even with the doors locked, it is possible to open the door from the inside - my daughter did it accidentally while the car was in movement. The Honda I had previously did not allow that. There's a lock on the side door panel that can be twisted to permanently lock the door from the inside, but then the central locking system won't release the door and you have to open it from the outside.
- There are a few tough plastic edges around the console mount that gave me a callous on my right knee; the factory should put some rubber around the console mount.
- The rubber mat on the driver's side (winter package) is not affixed to anything and keeps sliding up under the pedals.
- When using the heated seats, every time I stop on a traffic light, the heat increases dramatically (I guess it's voltage variation from the alternator)

I'll take the car to service for the issues; I'll keep the forum posted on the progress.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #828
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonham View Post
Hi all

Thought I'd report my experience.

2012 Focus SE 5spd hatch manual, purchased 1/2012, 3000 miles.

Issues:
- Extremely poor fuel economy (19 mpg city, 30 hwy)
- Knocking sound in front end when breaking, I can feel the knocks on the break and clutch pedal. Sounds like a loose part.
- The engine sounds like a diesel tractor on cold starts, then it gets smoother.
- Engine occasionally knocks when idle.
- iPod connection no longer works (I hear it needs to be rebooted by pulling a fuse)
- SYNC cannot index tracks if you have a certain number of songs (I have about 140 GB.)
- Sometimes I close the car and the radio stays on.

The good stuff:
- Handling is truly excellent for a $21k car
- Voice commands work surprisingly well; I drove an SEL rental last December that just could not understand me at all, but mine seems to work ok.
- Sport seats are excellent
- Fit and finish is pretty decent. There's a tiny rattle from the right side when listening to the radio, but nothing serious.

Other minor annoyances:
- Even with the doors locked, it is possible to open the door from the inside - my daughter did it accidentally while the car was in movement. The Honda I had previously did not allow that. There's a lock on the side door panel that can be twisted to permanently lock the door from the inside, but then the central locking system won't release the door and you have to open it from the outside.
- There are a few tough plastic edges around the console mount that gave me a callous on my right knee; the factory should put some rubber around the console mount.
- The rubber mat on the driver's side (winter package) is not affixed to anything and keeps sliding up under the pedals.
- When using the heated seats, every time I stop on a traffic light, the heat increases dramatically (I guess it's voltage variation from the alternator)

I'll take the car to service for the issues; I'll keep the forum posted on the progress.
That's a long list of things. The sound when cold is characteristic of direct injection engines, not indicative of a problem. The mileage seems low but could be caused by conditions/style. At a constant 65 on a level highway without strong winds, you should get into the high 30s - have you tried resetting the mpg meter to see if your car does this? I have had the radio stay on after exiting the car once, but it seemed to "heal".
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #829
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
That's a safety feature my friend and to be honest I'd rather have the ability to open the door even if its locked should I need to get out quickly and do not have time to hit the unlock button on the center of the dash. I wish there was a manual lock switch/lever on the doors instead of nothing at all.

The owners manual says you have you to pull the handle twice to open a locked door in this case. (Once to unlock then pull again to open the door.)

On my old ford even if the door is locked the first pull of the handle will unlock and open the door. I rather have that then this double pull. If I had kids that wanted to open the doors all the time then yes by all means disable the interior handle till they are old enough to know better.

Good luck with your service visit :D
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #830
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedleo View Post
...I spoke with a Ford customer service rep yesterday and she started with the "let it break in 2k miles after a reprogram". I let her know that I was dealing with a real problem and would get back with her when I learned how your fix worked out. She said she wasn't able to check this forum to capture the details of my issues...I have about 1,500 miles and although it has gotten better there is still a slight shudder/shake, so they are still breaking in. I would give it some time.
Hello Reedleo,

She may not have access to the forum, but I do!

When I escalate concerns and send information specific to your case over to the attention of the Customer Service Manager in your area. So if the shuddering does not recede, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, persona and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJTX View Post
...I had a bit if a shudder but utbhas long since gone...As a result there are some thatthink they have a problem but don't, they are just impatient and in willing to wait it out. Also remember that the ones posting here with issues ate not the majority of focus owners but a subset of them...
RDJTX,

Thank you for your balanced comments. I appreciate them!

We recognize owners’ frustration when they perceive a lack of acknowledgement to concerns and questions raised on the forum. However, we do send much information about owners’ experiences to our engineers and execs. As they attempt to address the issues raised, we will continue to provide the best customer service possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt114 View Post
I have about 1,500 miles and although it has gotten better there is still a slight shudder/shake, so they are still breaking in. I would give it some time.
Hi Kurt114,

Thank you for your patience and understanding as your Focus goes through the break-in process. In due time it will smooth out and you’ll enjoy it even more. If you need assistance, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info, and I'll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbicknell View Post
They had to replace the clutch and the throw out bearing and got it back yesterday....i drove about 50 miles last night and it running shifting really good. Good luck on getting yours back it took them 20 days to get the clutch in for me.
Hey jbicknell,

Glad the dealer was able to fix the Focus for you. The offer of assistance is extended to you as well; a PM with the requested info will begin the escalation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingstick View Post
... "IT'S NORMAL" is not an answer!Mostly when Ford spends so much time blowing sunshine up our you know what.
Safety should not be an option when we drive around our loved one...
Hello Drivingstick,

I assure you, safety is a high priority for Ford. This is why we are active on this forum; to raise concerns and questions to the attention of Ford engineers in order to enhance the safety features of our products.

If you are experiencing concerns with your Focus, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info and a Customer Service Manager will review your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurdySE View Post
DurdySE,

Chops?! Pork Chops?! Center Cut Chops?! Ohhhh....you mean your chops!
We don't bust posters chops on this forum...much.

When you take the Focus over to dealer, send a PM my way with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager follow your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertwo View Post
I just registered on the forums to pitch in since I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus S Sedan last week with the 5 speed manual transmission....
Hi Boomertwo,

Congrats and to the forum!

Some of the concerns stated may smooth out once you've surpassed the break-in period. But, let's have the Customer Service Manager assist with those that can use immediate attention. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll escalate your case.

Quote:
...2012 Focus SE 5spd hatch manual, purchased 1/2012, 3000 miles...
Hi jbonham,

Congratulations on your Focus!

When you take it over to the dealer for service; shoot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager review your case.

I want to thank everyone for your patience as we work through your concerns. Please keep me posted on the results of your case and give me a shout out if you need further assistance in the future.

Have a FANTABULOUS weekend!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks