My Ford Touch Thread - Page 62 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #611
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,210, Level 35
Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35 Points: 3,210, Level: 35
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You guys all complain about them taking features out, yet the reason we all complained in the first place is now addressed. The stability seems there. I've done a good amount of tinkering with the system, simulating scenarios in which the old system would choke up, and had nothing go wrong.

But half the guys on here and other forums did nothing but bitch about how long this was taking them, maybe they sacrificed things they didn't receive a lot of feedback about in order to get the system out earlier to shut everyone up who couldn't leave well enough alone.

I love the new system, losing my favorites is no big deal. The progress bar for music is one thing, but it's not enough for me to find the new system "useless" and a "POS" like some of you guys.

Small things may have been overlooked, they often are when programming, I know from my minimal experience and I'm sure those of you with a programming background are as well.

That said, outside beta testing would have been the way to go, but it's live and learn for them. As we find issues, they'll know who to call next time.

Just be happy our system is now usable, much faster, and improved overall.

And for those who think the new system looks dated compared to the old, I think you guys are nuts! A simple GUI with bold fonts is much better, and even more modernized as far as I'm concerned. The old system looked a lot more muddied than the new system, if you ask me. The new one has crisp colors, easily identifiable buttons, and looks cleaner overall.

But that's just me.
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #612
Emmortal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92957
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Emmortal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Weird. And I can't imagine any reason why it'd be partitioned. Did you format it (FAT32) before downloading/installing?

Mine was already FAT32 but I did a quick format anyway - just in case. Or maybe run chkdsk?

If all else fails, try a different drive? Good luck!
Yeah it has lots of space, is FAT32 formatted and the update is the only thing on the drive. I get that error as soon as it tried to start the update.

According to the Ford website if you get that you should try a Master Reset, did that and it didn't help at all.

Just finished formatting another USB drive and copying the files over to go give it another shot. *fingers crossed*
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #613
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,713, Level 38
Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmortal View Post
Has anyone had any issues installing the update from the download? It won't install for me at all, I get the error "Installation Failed - The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version."

Anyone? I was seriously looking forward to this update, and being in Canada I'm sure it'll take a while to get to me. :(
What is your current version? (version format is 4.XX.XXXXX)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #614
Zip60912
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93826
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium 4 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Zip60912 Good Standing Member
I just downloaded the update from Ford Sync and the "SyncMyRide" folder is 16MB smaller than the folder that was shared by seseattle...680MB vs 696MB.

The Ford Sync download is omitting this folder..."DA5T-14D545-ZA.zip".

Conspiracy theorists please chime in!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #615
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,794, Level 32
Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip60912 View Post
I just downloaded the update from Ford Sync and the "SyncMyRide" folder is 16MB smaller than the folder that was shared by seseattle...680MB vs 696MB.

Oh.... Oh, God.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #616
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It got personal the moment you told me to stop spreading misinformation when in fact what I said was posted by Ford earlier in this thread.

I would like to know how you know the inner workings of the APIM. Above, you do admit you could mess it up and you would have to take it to the dealer which is warranty work. That is what Ford is trying to avoid.

And you are also assuming a good hacker can't break installation keys.

In fact, I don't even need to argue my position any further. Ford came on this very thread and told the group you risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong with a ripped copy of MyFord Touch and you brick the APIM.
Actually, Ford never mentioned anything about bricking the hardware. They said it could be damaging, which means "the installation could be borked". That doesn't mean it can't be easily fixed (IE, it's not bricked).

Either way, it's irrelevant. It's not possible to install an update that's not signed by Ford. Do I know this for sure? *YES*. I work for a software company and have delved into the inner-workings of the APIM. Unless the key is signed by Ford, it can't be installed. Now, if Ford releases the public key for the installer, then sure it can be hacked. Until that point, the only way would be to directly connect (not via USB) and change some of the I/O memory to fool the system. These changes are also still somewhat small and very difficult to make.

The main point? All of this has been discussed and answered, swiftly and exactly, and you are angry that I answered it again. Ford reps also told us for 2 years that there's nothing wrong with the current system, then that an update would be forthcoming soon, then that we wouldn't lose features, etc... Ford reps are great to have around, but they haven't exactly been the *most* helpful in terms of information.

No company on Earth is going to say, "Hey, download that copy of our software that's available on the internet". Of course he's going to say we shouldn't. There's no "risk" in doing it other than maybe having to go to the dealership (which is still very slim...you could even pull the battery during the install and it can still be recovered).

So, put away your attitude and read the thread next time instead of getting sassy with the people that actually know what they're talking about and are trying to help.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #617
Emmortal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92957
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Emmortal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
What is your current version? (version format is 4.XX.XXXXX)
I'll report back shortly if what I'm doing now doesn't work....

The update is now available for download through syncmyride.com for people without navigation (at least in Canada) so I'm downloading from there and going to try it. It might have been a Canada vs US version thing which I could easily believe since some services aren't available to us here.

Hopefully the next time you hear from me will be in about an hour with a freshly installed update. :)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #618
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
The smart thing for ford to do is write a new and improved update that addresses some or all of the issues we found with the current update. Then before they spend thousands to send out usb sticks to everyone, they should post an "official beta version" on this site and others for free to get constructive feedback to make sure most customers are happy with the results. They can then tweak the code for any glitches found before huge money is spent sending out update sticks again.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #619
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,794, Level 32
Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
The smart thing for ford to do is write a new and improved update that addresses some or all of the issues we found with the current update. Then before they spend thousands to send out usb sticks to everyone, they should post an "official beta version" on this site and others for free to get constructive feedback to make sure most customers are happy with the results. They can then tweak the code for any glitches found before huge money is spent sending out update sticks again.
That would be the smart thing to do. In fact, we tried mentioning that to Ford months ago. No one listened...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #620
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85127
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
Looking inside that file, it seems like this is a bunch of the shockwave flash files that are used. No idea why its not in the update from the SyncMyRide website, but the update file we have posted on here was zipped up from one of the flash drives sent to the dealer. Wouldnt that be a gigantic fubar if for whatever reason this got left out of the update on the Ford website and its something thats needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip60912 View Post

Bookmarks & Social Networks