My Ford Touch Thread - Page 61 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #601
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Wow. No need to be rude or personal. If you would have read *THIS* topic you'd have already seen multiple times the explanation on why it's not possible to brick the APIM. I'll explain it again, for those of you unable to read and prone to making personal insults:

In order to *actually* brick the APIM, you'd need access to the low-level subsystem. This is only possible if you have the hardware from a Ford dealership, since that information isn't even *accessible* through conventional means.

The only problem you could run into is that it messes up the overlying framework, which is when you'd get the "contact your dealership" message. Most of the time, a simple fuse pull and trying again will fix it. If not, you take it in and they re-image it.

What this means is that there is *NO* chance of actually bricking the APIM. The worst you can do, in any way, is mess up the install...which can easily be fixed by a dealership.

And since you apparently missed another point made in this thread...there's no chance of a "messed up" install. The installation is locked using keys that aren't accessible to the public. This means that the installation can't be "faked" or messed with. If the files aren't actually put out by Ford, they won't do anything when you try to install. If it were possible to mess with an installation like that we'd already have modded interfaces.
It got personal the moment you told me to stop spreading misinformation when in fact what I said was posted by Ford earlier in this thread.

I would like to know how you know the inner workings of the APIM. Above, you do admit you could mess it up and you would have to take it to the dealer which is warranty work. That is what Ford is trying to avoid.

And you are also assuming a good hacker can't break installation keys.

In fact, I don't even need to argue my position any further. Ford came on this very thread and told the group you risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong with a ripped copy of MyFord Touch and you brick the APIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hey everyone!

I know you’re excited to download the new software, but I want you to know that Ford urges you not to install unauthorized copies of the Performance Upgrade. Customers who do so run the risk of damaging their MyFord/MyLincoln Touch system and voiding their vehicle warranty.

Mike
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #602
brianstoiber
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89131
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium (Sterling Grey)

FF Reputation: 1 brianstoiber Good Standing Member
I updated MFT with the file uploaded and it said it was successful, everything appears to be working well (other than the temperature being removed and annoying fading animation) but when I report a successful install at syncmyride.com, it still shows Gen2 V2.11.

Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #603
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstoiber View Post
I updated MFT with the file uploaded and it said it was successful, everything appears to be working well (other than the temperature being removed and annoying fading animation) but when I report a successful install at syncmyride.com, it still shows Gen2 V2.11.

Any ideas?
Refresh the page. (Shift+Refresh to clear the cache for that page and reload)
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #604
jts15
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85072
What I Drive: 2003 Corolla

FF Reputation: 1 jts15 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
<3 Hahaha... I think the new/simpler MFT will be perfect for you.
Nice one!

I'm actually pretty patient in trying to figure this stuff out so I'm indifferent to making it simpler...it just takes me longer than most people.

Honestly,
a lot of the stuff that is mentioned as taken out of the update i didn't even know about.
In my defense...it is the wife's car.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #605
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85127
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
Wow.....relax man. No need for this to turn into anything. What hotleadsingerguy says is absolutely correct. I have no idea what your background is, but from a tech person's background hotleadsingerguy is absolutely correct. And of course Ford is going to say it might void your warranty. Its not like they can pop on here and say "Hey, you should absolutely go download that file from the random dude's website". So, have fun and relax. Its absolutely up to you if you do not want to install the upgrade that we have posted here for people to use. No harm, no foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It got personal the moment you told me to stop spreading misinformation when in fact what I said was posted by Ford earlier in this thread.

I would like to know how you know the inner workings of the APIM. Above, you do admit you could mess it up and you would have to take it to the dealer which is warranty work. That is what Ford is trying to avoid.

And you are also assuming a good hacker can't break installation keys.

In fact, I don't even need to argue my position any further. Ford came on this very thread and told the group you risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong with a ripped copy of MyFord Touch and you brick the APIM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #606
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
Guys, this is all interesting stuff. As a potential owner (one of the biggest reasons I delayed my Focus purchase was because of MFT issues) the feedback is very useful information to have. I really need to see app link show up for MFT before I buy a new Ford but that's another story.

As someone who is involved in the product dev/release cycle I just want to add a few comments regarding some of the perceived outages and "breakages" that this release delivered (in addition to things like performance enhancements).

From what I understand this was a complete re-write of the software, which is a huge undertaking. Typically a decision tree comes up during the development cycle in which they have to decide if they are going to pare out features or delay release. I have a feeling that with the pressure to get some "fixes" out there that the "release now and add functionality back later" group won out on this one.

Alternatively they could have spent another 3-6 months putting content back in, which probably would have pissed people off even more.

The good news is that they learned their lesson, they won't be stupid enough to outsource such a critical piece of software to a shit-ball company (B-Squared) ever again!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #607
Emmortal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92957
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Emmortal Good Standing Member
Has anyone had any issues installing the update from the download? It won't install for me at all, I get the error "Installation Failed - The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version."

Anyone? I was seriously looking forward to this update, and being in Canada I'm sure it'll take a while to get to me. :(
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #608
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmortal View Post
Has anyone had any issues installing the update from the download? It won't install for me at all, I get the error "Installation Failed - The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version."

Anyone? I was seriously looking forward to this update, and being in Canada I'm sure it'll take a while to get to me. :(
Are you using a 1GB USB drive and/or SD card? It requires at least 2GB - probably for extracting and reading/writing stuff while installing.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #609
Emmortal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92957
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Emmortal Good Standing Member
It's a 4GB drive. Looking for another drive I have around to try and will post back.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #610
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmortal View Post
It's a 4GB drive. Looking for another drive I have around to try and will post back.
Weird. And I can't imagine any reason why it'd be partitioned. Did you format it (FAT32) before downloading/installing?

Mine was already FAT32 but I did a quick format anyway - just in case. Or maybe run chkdsk?

If all else fails, try a different drive? Good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.