My Ford Touch Thread - Page 60 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #591
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Syncmyride.com is reporting a successful install of the new update on my car. I know for a FACT I did not report the installation online, nor did I upload a vehicle health report, nor did I ever connect MFT to a wireless router or other internet source. So did it hijack my phone and report the installation?

Or did one of you guys report yours with my .xml file I accidentally uploaded at first yesterday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #592
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Probably because they were pretty much forced to since there were ripped copies going around already. They were probably afraid of a bad copy spreading and bricking a bunch of APIM's which would cost them alot of money in dealership labor and parts warranty.
Once again, this has already been discussed. It's not possible for the update to "brick" the APIM. Please stop spreading this misinformation.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #593
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Once again, this has already been discussed. It's not possible for the update to "brick" the APIM. Please stop spreading this misinformation.
Go pound sand. Who made you the authority on this? You don't think a hacker could change something in the update and it starts spreading around the internet as such? I would rather get it from the source then some internet site. That's your choice but don't go crying to your service department for warranty work if something should happen.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #594
SNAPThr0w
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93998
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 SNAPThr0w Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcho View Post
stupid question, not tech guy here:
Should i unzip the files before transfer to usb Drive? or just transfer the ZIP file to usb Driver and install?
Unzip the files to your thumbdrive... you will end up with one folder and two files:

SyncMyRide
autoinstall.lst
DONTINDX.msa

Then plug the thumdrive into your car's USB port and sit back and watch the magic for about 45 minutes (you do have to acknowledge "OK" a couple of times)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #595
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
As has already been posted, it's not possible to post up the data from the SD cards. They're not serialized, but they're secured. The data can't be read in a normal card reader, nor could it be copied to another. The data is encrypted using the secure partition on the card, so it can't be modified or read by anything that doesn't have the key.

Also, even if the phone support told you it could be read and copied with ease...would you really believe them? Phone support, for any company, barely knows their product at all. I wouldn't trust a thing phone support told me.
Actually there is nothing preventing you from copying all of the files from the ORIGINAL SD card (at least with the A2 version). You can browse all the files, open map data, open images etc and you can even raw image it. Making the system accept a copied SD is another story altogether, we'll see.

My SMR account says the performance update is available now as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #596
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPThr0w View Post
I have a Nushield on it -- was a recommendation from a thread somewhere in these forums... works/looks great!
Thanks... bought one.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #597
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Go pound sand. Who made you the authority on this? You don't think a hacker could change something in the update and it starts spreading around the internet as such? I would rather get it from the source then some internet site. That's your choice but don't go crying to your service department for warranty work if something should happen.
Wow. No need to be rude or personal. If you would have read *THIS* topic you'd have already seen multiple times the explanation on why it's not possible to brick the APIM. I'll explain it again, for those of you unable to read and prone to making personal insults:

In order to *actually* brick the APIM, you'd need access to the low-level subsystem. This is only possible if you have the hardware from a Ford dealership, since that information isn't even *accessible* through conventional means.

The only problem you could run into is that it messes up the overlying framework, which is when you'd get the "contact your dealership" message. Most of the time, a simple fuse pull and trying again will fix it. If not, you take it in and they re-image it.

What this means is that there is *NO* chance of actually bricking the APIM. The worst you can do, in any way, is mess up the install...which can easily be fixed by a dealership.

And since you apparently missed another point made in this thread...there's no chance of a "messed up" install. The installation is locked using keys that aren't accessible to the public. This means that the installation can't be "faked" or messed with. If the files aren't actually put out by Ford, they won't do anything when you try to install. If it were possible to mess with an installation like that we'd already have modded interfaces.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #598
jts15
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85072
What I Drive: 2003 Corolla

FF Reputation: 1 jts15 Good Standing Member
Hey guys,
I went on syncmyride and it told me I have an update to download. It failed to start when i tried it so I formatted my usb drive to FAT32 (no idea what that means) and its downloading now.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #599
HopJokey
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88852
What I Drive: Silver 2012 Ford Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 HopJokey Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts15 View Post
Hey guys,
I went on syncmyride and it told me I have an update to download. It failed to start when i tried it so I formatted my usb drive to FAT32 (no idea what that means) and its downloading now.
FAT32 is a file system format - this one is typically more cross platform compatible (will work on most modern computers/devices).

NTFS is the other popular choice as it is the native file format of the Windows operation system. It is not as friendly across different device types.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #600
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts15 View Post
...I formatted my usb drive to FAT32 (no idea what that means)
<3 Hahaha... I think the new/simpler MFT will be perfect for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks