anyone NOT like the stock tires? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
OK when's someone gonna put these bad boys on???

Aw man! I forgot to order plaid sidewalls with my 17's!!!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #42
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I drive very spiritedly, and I find them to be just as good in the winter as my old BFGs for turning, and my old Potenzas as well. If you are pushing the Conti's past their level of adhesion, you are driving too fast or agressively for the street, period.
Have you ever driven with dedicated summer and winter tires? All-seasons suck at everything, some more than others. The Conti's aren't the worse all-season tire I've seen by far but they still suck if you even remotely care about driving and enjoying your car.

I've only pushed the Conti's past their breaking point a time or two so it's not like I'm out to be speed racer every time I get behind the wheel. The tires just have way to soft of sidewalls for any form of spirited driving. Their wet traction is decent enough but it's not steller.

As for the winter, I don't know how anyone can consider them good, especially with a traction control system that's not very intelligent. I drove with the Conti's once in the snow and that was enough for me, I couldn't go anywhere and stopping might as well been an afterthought. I went out the next day and bought snow tires and I haven't ran into any weather thing winter I couldn't handle safely. I was up north over the weekend in Traverse City and they got something like 15" of snow, I felt completely safe driving to Crystal Mountain to go skiing.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #43
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
That was a trick question, right?
no, not a trick ques.. i didn't phrase that properly.. i assume w/ the dws tread design they'd be noiser than the contis .. i guess i want to kno how much
noiser....
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #44
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
do you find the dws tires noiser than the contis?
The DWS are quiet IMO compared to the stock Bridgestone Potenza's that came on the Saabaru (WRX). The DWS is awesome in snow with the Subaru AWD powertrain. I only put 900 miles on the Focus Contis before putting Bridgestone Blizzaks on it which are coming off this weekend. But they seemed quiet to me iirc.

Last edited by cacophonous; 03-07-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #45
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Have you ever driven with dedicated summer and winter tires? All-seasons suck at everything, some more than others. The Conti's aren't the worse all-season tire I've seen by far but they still suck if you even remotely care about driving and enjoying your car.

I've only pushed the Conti's past their breaking point a time or two so it's not like I'm out to be speed racer every time I get behind the wheel. The tires just have way to soft of sidewalls for any form of spirited driving. Their wet traction is decent enough but it's not steller.

As for the winter, I don't know how anyone can consider them good, especially with a traction control system that's not very intelligent. I drove with the Conti's once in the snow and that was enough for me, I couldn't go anywhere and stopping might as well been an afterthought. I went out the next day and bought snow tires and I haven't ran into any weather thing winter I couldn't handle safely. I was up north over the weekend in Traverse City and they got something like 15" of snow, I felt completely safe driving to Crystal Mountain to go skiing.
certainly, on my 06 mustang gt. I had 555's, and they had much more grip in warm weather than the all seasons that came with it. But that was on a 300hp rear drive car. If you can truly puch the conti's to their limit without sliding out of your seat in the Focus, you should be on a track, the ONLY place summer tires on a Focus could make a difference that mattered.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
AJ_BS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95722
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 AJ_BS Good Standing Member
I bought this $hitbox to commute and I have fun doing it just fine on these tires. The way some of you describe how inadequate the Contis are Id think you were driving a legit sports car. Summer performance tires on a Focus? Lol go buy another car to mess around in.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #47
FlankerDFR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90863
What I Drive: 2013 Blk ST2

Points 544, Level 10
Points: 544, Level: 10 Points: 544, Level: 10 Points: 544, Level: 10
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 FlankerDFR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I choose tires based on grip (wet/dry), predictable handling, wear, and noise.

I'm not sure why you would want to buy a tire based on the tread design.

If I did need to replace the stock tires, I would go with the Conti ExtremeContact DW.
All excellent points. I always use the Tire Rack (there are probably other vendors who provide similar on line reviews) for it's owner and tire tester reviews and ratings. Yea...........it's not completely objective, but it's a pretty good indicator of how the tire is going to perform in a variety of conditions.

As I recall the Conti EC DW got high user ratings at the T Rack. When I came home in early November, the car was waiting for me, and I only drove it about 15 or 20 miles on the stock Conti All Season 17s to a tire store to have them swapped for a set of General Altimax snows (my home area is central MI). From looking at photos of the stock Conti All Seasons tread pattern........and reviewing them at the TR.............they looked like a good mileage tire that
did nothing well.

When I get back home next...........I'll very likely put a set of Sport Edition 17" rims with some Fuzion UHP All Season 235/45/R17s on. Not much real world or test info on them available (hopyfully will change before early July), but the tread pattern looks like it should evacuate water well, and handle light snow real early or late in the season..............until I put the stock black painted 17s with the Altimax snows back on. I hope.............
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #48
brent375hh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94271
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 brent375hh Good Standing Member
FWIW Tire Rack's test of the ContiPro Contact tire provided the best lap time of the 4 "Grand Touring" tires that were tested. It can't suck that bad for every day driving.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
certainly, on my 06 mustang gt. I had 555's, and they had much more grip in warm weather than the all seasons that came with it. But that was on a 300hp rear drive car. If you can truly puch the conti's to their limit without sliding out of your seat in the Focus, you should be on a track, the ONLY place summer tires on a Focus could make a difference that mattered.
You do realize that summer tires improve braking ability. Also if you are in an emergency situation where you need to swerve quickly, they provide more grip. So it's more than just a track where summer tires would make a difference. They also provide more stability at highway speeds, which is never a bad thing either and if you get the right summer tires for the street, they will provide better wet traction too.

All-season tires just make zero sense on any car if you truly enjoy driving and care about your car at all. Tires are the most important safety feature on a car since it's the only thing that actually touches the road, to me it makes sense to make sure I have the best I can get.

It also puzzles me why people think that putting an intake and an exhaust on their car is actually going to do anything, but neglect the tires completely. (not saying you said this mind you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_BS View Post
I bought this $hitbox to commute and I have fun doing it just fine on these tires. The way some of you describe how inadequate the Contis are Id think you were driving a legit sports car. Summer performance tires on a Focus? Lol go buy another car to mess around in.
You are aware that Ford sells the Focus with summer tires, right? And if it is a "$hitbox" why on Earth did you buy it?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #50
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,797, Level 49
Points: 5,797, Level: 49 Points: 5,797, Level: 49 Points: 5,797, Level: 49
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
All-season tires just make zero sense on any car if you truly enjoy driving and care about your car at all.
I was once of this mind. Coincidentally I had much more disposable income back then. Before kids.

So I upgraded the stock Conti's on my Escape with better Conti's, and then again a few thousand miles later with Dueler H/L Alenza's (top of the line then). I saw no discernible difference in cornering, braking etc. in my everyday driving. Lesson I took away from that was any slight improvement in handling - in everyday driving mind you - is generally not worth the cost of upgrading the stock tires. That's just me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks