Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#477 ·
I went to the dealership and copied the MFT 2.0 files onto my own flash drive. The entire upgrade process took about 45 minutes - I drove for about the first 15 minutes and parked/idled the rest of the time. Many of my previous settings were saved (radio/Sirius stations).

It is a massive upgrade and a huge improvement (although I didn't mind the previous version too much)! MFT downloaded my addressbook super quick without a flaw. It indexed my Zune with about 619 songs in under a minute and maintained all my album art with no issues (previously MFT was hit and miss with the album art especially after adding new content to the device).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5674515261192454513/5717252491363782610

#479 ·
It is a massive upgrade and a huge improvement (although I didn't mind the previous version too much)! MFT downloaded my addressbook super quick without a flaw. It indexed my Zune with about 619 songs in under a minute and maintained all my album art with no issues (previously MFT was hit and miss with the album art especially after adding new content to the device).
Well that is good news. Still not fond of giving up my wallpaper though. I'd like it full screen without stuff on top of it but oh well.

I have Nav so I have to wait on the postal service but for the last few of you that got it installed recently, please feel free to report anything of interest you find or notice as you've had more time with it. I (and I'm sure others as well) would appreciate it.

#480 ·
So, great news! Fuse pull officially fixed the problem of SYNC not connecting with the USB storage device. Car is updated and I took a drive with the lady to get some food and it's working marvelously! I'm glad I didn't end up having to drive the car over to the dealership, where the service rep on the phone tried explaining how the update worked instead of listening to my issue.

Thanks again for hosting the files for us!

#484 ·
Just for the driver but what about the passengers in the car!?
Like in cartoons “"What's up (temp), Doc (Driver)?".
They moved the Menu down so is enough space for temp info and is logical too, with one glimpse to MFT you have both (time /temp).
Maybe a new update!

#487 ·
Several of us already have, looks like I'm the only one who ran into any troubles with the installation, but I was able to solve the issue with a fuse pull and then reinstalled the update, worked like a charm the second time and the new system is fantastic!

#493 ·
Unfortunatelly I have the Nav on my system, so I will wait for the mail.

P.S. Guys, just a thing though : have you thought of everybody here who said they don't want MFT because it sucks ? Come on, with all the input you gave about this update, you may start a revolution of threads on the subject "Why didn't I get MFT [bash] ?". Neahh, just kidding. This kind of thing cannot happen. So tell us all how you like your new MFT. PLEASE !

#494 ·
I think the update is spectacular. It finally makes MFT usable. I feel like I have a new car. There may still be annoyances with it - the compass is a pretty big waste of space for those of us without Nav. I would have loved them to give us a selection of widgets that we could use to put in the upper right quadrant.

Other than that though, it is fast enough to actually use now, instead of being afraid to hit buttons that cause it to lock up. Response time on the voice control is significantly improved, as is the amount of time that it takes for the car to accept voice commands after turning it on. I connected my iPhone this afternoon and turned on Spotify, and I was happy to discover that when I hit the pause button on the MFT display, the song pauses in an instant. Prior to the update, I would hit the pause button and it would actually pause about 4 seconds later.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to respond.

#495 ·
Well, I contacted Audible about playing audible content after the update and they were absolutely no help.

I wonder if we'll have to install an "app" in the car? Somehow I would assume they would have to link an audible account with the car. Unless, of course, it just allows one to use existing audible apps on a phone, tablet, etc.

I guess I'm the only one interested in this aspect of the update. :)

#497 ·
I really like the new update. Just finished playing around with it. Took about 45 minutes to install. Went without any problems whatsoever. It's definitely faster. I miss the artist/song info the most of all the left out features...I have only 2 questions.

1) How do you set your favorites so that those 2 buttons on the steering wheel work. Previously I had them as quick dial and Sirius. Now they do home screen and sync services. Can't find how to assign favorites.

2) My calendar is 1 day advanced. Says that its the 8th. Anyone know how to set the calendar. I can only find options for the clock. Thanks.

#498 ·
Hey everyone!

I know you’re excited to download the new software, but I want you to know that Ford urges you not to install unauthorized copies of the Performance Upgrade. Customers who do so run the risk of damaging their MyFord/MyLincoln Touch system and voiding their vehicle warranty.

Over the next several weeks, we are mailing the Performance Upgrade packet to our customers. Additionally, we're planning to release the software for download from SYNCMyRide.com for many customers by the end of this week. If you have Nav, and the update is downloaded prior to receiving the new SD card, then you will be stuck with a non-functioning Nav system until you receive and install your new Nav card.

Stay tuned to Owner to Owner for upcoming announcements on this topic:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/p...=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

Mike

#510 ·
I have to say, firstly, that it's awesome that your team comes here to post. We're all thankful for that.

But trying to scare people into not updating by saying it could void their vehicle warranty? Not cool. I downloaded and installed it, and it works fine. Considering the install is signed it wouldn't really be possible for someone to "create one" or modify the existing one without the install failing (which would have no effect). Either way, it wouldn't void the vehicle warranty.

What you're seeing is a lot of people *really* unhappy with the old system that have been using it for 1-2 years with no word from Ford on a fix. Ford finally releases information about the new fix and it doesn't come out for 6+ months. Now it's being sent out and it isn't put up on the website. It's a whole series of mistakes by Ford that seem to almost intentionally screw over the customers.

The *EASIEST* distribution would be throwing it on the website. It would take less than 20 minutes and would allow everyone, and their mothers, to download it and install it. I understand that Ford spent a good amount of money buying and sending out the USB sticks, but if the update is ready...post it. Some people, especially those on boards such as this one, don't want to have to wait another week or 3 to get the update that should have arrived a year ago.

#499 ·
Well now that I am home, I'm installing the update. Seems its going ok so far. I'll let you know when its done.

@FordIVTeam - While I understand what Ford is saying about unauthorized copies, and everyone assumes their own risk by installing this, what is floating around for downloading is a zipped up copy of the Performance Upgrade USB stick which was sent to the dealers.

#503 ·
My update finished. Took about an hour. Everything went smooth as silk. Absolutely LOVE the responsiveness of the touch screen now. Really happy with the new fonts also. It will be interesting to see if I can get though a few days without any sort of random lockup, reboot or just other general weirdness.

#508 ·
I mean apparently the SD card hardware itself, like the serial number, manufacturer, etc is hard coded in the card. I have seen this on many SD/microSD/XD cards for photography as well. Cannot be changed because it's hardware rather than the writeable component of the card.

#511 ·
Chances are that the MFT system checks the card's serial or manufacturer data to verify it is legit. The folks that tried to make backups using cloning software (including one to clone photo cards to enable features of certain cameras) tried and the backups didn't work. I think 2 folks on the Edge forum tried, and one on the owners-owners group tried and failed.

Would be great though if someone checked to confirm. I would love to back up my card if I could.

Backing up the new card to the old may certainly be possible though!

#514 ·
As always, your response is spot on. Allow me to elaborate.

SD cards have built in digital rights management (DRM). There is a portion of the SD card memory which is used to implement the DRM and cannot be accessed by a user.

Trying to clone a navigation SD card by simply creating an image of the original is not possible.

#513 ·
Couldn't for the life of me make the update work on USB. Got stuck on step 3/15 and had to fuse reset to get it out of that state.

Copied files to a SD card and popped it in. Installer started and proceeded successfully. I recommend a SD card if people are having difficulty getting USB to work.

#515 ·
But trying to scare people into not updating by saying it could void their vehicle warranty? Not cool.
You can't really expect Ford to say: hey, feel free to go and use your bootleg copy of the software, right? This is just standard response that most large corporations would give. We should probably be happy they are initiating a lawsuit against the person who posted it :)

As for voiding your warranty, the easy thing to do is deny you ever used it :) If you do somehow screw up your MFT (by whatever means), simply wait for the usb key to arrive, and then claim it screwed up when you used the official key.

Now, as far as capability of screwing things up. Well, I took a brief look at the contents. I already know the executable images are digitally signed, so a nefarious middle man would not be able to modify it without having to resign it, and he won't have the correct private key. There are resource files within that don't have signatures (swf, bitmaps, etc). These could be corrupted. Lastly, the installer infs are not signed, so you could muck with those and managed to perhaps install the wrong version or delete some critical file. None of this would damage the system permanently, it just might need to be reflashed at the dealer.

Myself, I figure I'll wait for the key (although I plan to bring my car in for service in a few days, so I will see if they can get it to me at the dealer sooner). But, I am very impatient, so who knows, I might change my mind.

#517 ·
I just want to make sure to point out, nobody has or is bootlegging this software nor was it obtained in any sort of illegal manner. The software was zipped up from a USB stick that was sent to a dealership. This is the same USB stick that Ford is sending out to MFT customers, and has publicly stated that it will be available to some customers on their own website by the end of the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.