High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 112 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #1111
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
Also also, I'd like to feel what a dual-clutch automatic can *really* do. All in all, the road feel of the 6-sp auto in the 2012 focus is horrible and listless.
The first generation software was probably like you say. Two software updates later, I think it is pretty close to spot on. When rallying up in the canyon on the tight stuff, hard on the gas, hard on the brake, repeating as needed, the "S" mode is damn near perfect. I have used the +/- toggle, and it also works well enough, but I have found the "S" auto mode rocks. Redline shift, redline shift, hard on the brakes and it is downshifting as the speed decreases so I will be in a low gear so when I go back to full throttle I am in the right gear. I might could do it a little better with the toggle, but why bother when the car can do it as well as it does. Note this is hard driving, rear end stepping out, sliding and drifting. What a hoot. This thing rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #1112
speedracer ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85172
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST & 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 speedracer ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
An automatic will shift quicker, more precise, and at the same time & efficiency evrytime more than any other human can. yes many high performance cars are manual, but this is so you can have a better feel, more control, and have fun with the car. It's not because a manaul makes the car go faster or they can't make automatics to handle power,torque etc. Like the above stated Nissan GTR's, so are newer Porsche 911 are automatic and run with manual super cars.
Give Rep If You've Been Helped
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1113
77 Z28
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94604
What I Drive: 2004 Honda Civic Si

FF Reputation: 1 77 Z28 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
The first generation software was probably like you say. Two software updates later, I think it is pretty close to spot on. When rallying up in the canyon on the tight stuff, hard on the gas, hard on the brake, repeating as needed, the "S" mode is damn near perfect. I have used the +/- toggle, and it also works well enough, but I have found the "S" auto mode rocks. Redline shift, redline shift, hard on the brakes and it is downshifting as the speed decreases so I will be in a low gear so when I go back to full throttle I am in the right gear. I might could do it a little better with the toggle, but why bother when the car can do it as well as it does. Note this is hard driving, rear end stepping out, sliding and drifting. What a hoot. This thing rocks.
I would seriously consider auto if it's working as good as this and gladly pay an extra grand, that would be one sweet ST package and I've decided on black it just looks so sinister yet sexy although it looks awesome in all colors offered !
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #1114
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

What I have found is the closer to the edge of the performance envelope you push this thing the better it does. The engineers definitely had performance in mind when they set the parameters for the stability control and transmission. This thing begs to be thrashed, and I oblige. Anyone found it contrary to this?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #1115
sassynapoleon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87584
What I Drive: 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 1 sassynapoleon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetergentCandy View Post
I'm still very curious about the Tangerine Scream paint.
Some pictures make it look very yellow.
The difference in the photos is the difference between the pre-production Focus ST showcar and the production ST. Unfortunately, to my eye at least, "tangerine scream" has become "school bus lemon", even if they haven't changed the name.

I really liked the orange. The new color is not terrible, but I might prefer the more boring blue now.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #1116
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

I am sure they were not calling their pre-production color "tangerine scream". It appears to me to a cross between gold and bronze. The U3 coded picture looks a lot more like "tangerine scream", which I kinda like. The yellow blaze metalic was growing on me, and I would have ordered my Focus in that color except it was not an option on the SEL. To each his own. I am sure there will be more color choices in upcoming model years.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #1117
sassynapoleon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87584
What I Drive: 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 1 sassynapoleon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I am sure they were not calling their pre-production color "tangerine scream". It appears to me to a cross between gold and bronze. The U3 coded picture looks a lot more like "tangerine scream", which I kinda like. The yellow blaze metalic was growing on me, and I would have ordered my Focus in that color except it was not an option on the SEL. To each his own. I am sure there will be more color choices in upcoming model years.
I beg to differ. Look at this 2010 press release: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/15/p...-to-go-global/

Quote:
Cologne, September 15, 2010 – The exciting new next-generation Ford Focus range is the star attraction in Ford Motor Company's display at the 2010 Paris Motor Show on September 30.

For the first time, the complete global Ford Focus line-up of three production-ready dynamic bodystyles will be displayed together, providing customers with a full insight into this significant new model before it goes on sale in Europe and North America early in 2011.

Visitors to the Paris display also cannot fail to notice the show car's highly distinctive sports exterior, which is finished in 'Tangerine Scream', a dramatic new body colour that reflects the new ST's exciting and energetic character.
I'll need to see it in person. It's not bad looking, and colors don't necessarily photograph accurately. I really like the Solar Orange color that the Audi TTS comes in. If I could find a 2009 coupe in that color I might be tempted.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #1118
DetergentCandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94763
What I Drive: 2005 Stone White SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 DetergentCandy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassynapoleon View Post
The difference in the photos is the difference between the pre-production Focus ST showcar and the production ST. Unfortunately, to my eye at least, "tangerine scream" has become "school bus lemon", even if they haven't changed the name.

I really liked the orange. The new color is not terrible, but I might prefer the more boring blue now.

If the "school bus lemon" on the production model really is "Tangerine Scream" then the designers at Ford have clearly never seen a Tangerine.

THIS should be Tangerine Scream

THIS should be Candy Yellow
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #1119
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

I think the photo Usagi posted is the closest thing to "tangerine scream". The top photo looks like burnt orange and the lower like "lemon scream".
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #1120
Browningguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94520
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Browningguy Good Standing Member
If only they would offer it with the 6 speed DCT for us old farts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks