DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 69 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #681
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Picked-up my focus from the dealer today, and no clutch shudder on even gears. Fantastic. Thanks for your help Noemi!

I've yet to put miles on the new clutch assembly, but so far, it feels as refined as the new test foci I drove, before I bought my car. Something I have not experienced, until now.

Speaking of refinement, all it takes is to drive rentals, or other new comparable cars to realize how nice the chassis and dynamics are on the focus. Was glad to get back into it, and get that "fits like a glove" feeling back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #682
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
I need to get this done... I hope my dealer cooperates. I'll ask them if they can do it at my next oil change in about 1000 miles.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #683
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Thought I was out of the woods with my DCT having accumulated 2,000 miles. However at the end of a 150 mile interstate highway trip today the dreaded launch "shudder" was back with a vengeance. Car is a December build with the January software update applied, so I think I'm up-to-date on that score.

Heat seems to be the issue, with the source being either a lot of clutch use or (in this case) heat seeping in from the engine after running for a few hours.

I'll probably take it to the dealer but fully expect to get either the "drive it longer" or "they all do that" argument. Has anyone with up-to-date software actually had a dealer sove this problem?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #684
me2000
Focus Addict

I know this sounds weird but after the MFT update my car shifts better... Maybe it's the nicer weather.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #685
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I need to get this done... I hope my dealer cooperates. I'll ask them if they can do it at my next oil change in about 1000 miles.
When I went to my dealer to change my oil, I told them about the fact that sometimes the car was "lurching" at a stop-and-go and when on a ramp, the power wasn't there when I pushed the gas pedal (the car being in a higher gear than it should and didn't want to downshift when the gas pedal was pressed). They did the TSB without a problem, even thought they couldn't reproduce (at least that was written on the file they gave me).

P.S. MFT has nothing to do with the programming of DCT. Maybe it is now when you are "focussing" on your MFT, you see no more problems with your DCT. But maybe it is only me.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #686
me2000
Focus Addict

Thanks for the pointers, Voldar.

I think it's the better weather or maybe the tranny has fully broken in? :) who knows!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #687
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Heat seems to be the issue, with the source being either a lot of clutch use or (in this case) heat seeping in from the engine after running for a few hours.
I believe this to be 100% true.

I have 1000 miles on my car (first week of December build without the latest software update) and my transmission has been working very well. Today we had temperatures around 70 degrees, and I took my first, long (45 minute) ride at highway speeds (70-75 mph).

Pulling away from my first stop after exiting the highway, the car shuddered badly. It had never done it up until that point.

If Ford is going to fix it, they will have to come up with some way to dissipate the heat, or perhaps exchange the clutch plates with a more robust version.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #688
TDiGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93343
What I Drive: 2012, Candy Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TDiGuy Good Standing Member
That has not been my experience. I live in Orlando and have nearly 5000 miles with NO issues at all. We have had mid nineties here and I take long road trips. It doesn't affect my car in the least.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #689
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Thought I was out of the woods with my DCT having accumulated 2,000 miles. However at the end of a 150 mile interstate highway trip today the dreaded launch "shudder" was back with a vengeance. Car is a December build with the January software update applied, so I think I'm up-to-date on that score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I believe this to be 100% true.

I have 1000 miles on my car (first week of December build without the latest software update)
Guys, I am in the exact same boat. December 2 build, January update applied, 1450 miles on it now. I had violent "hot shudder" until I did the 5 full throttles and started driving more aggresively and it was reduced to a mildly jerky start, but still only after having driven in rush hour traffic for 15-20 minutes. From cold up until that 15-minute point, shifts are perfectly smooth and no shudder or hesitation.

Yesterday I did some suburban errands in easier traffic than my typical rush hour drive and the jerkiness was NOT there, even after half an hour of driving. I think it's crystal clear that the clutches are overheating, or at least they weren't designed to operate smoothly at this level of heat.

I'm beginning to think this is a design flaw and all the others on here that keep reporting "no problems" just don't put the clutches through the work that we do on our commutes. By "work" I don't mean driving aggressively, which I'm sure most do on here, but rather "commute work", lots of slow starts and creeping along due to heavy traffic.

I know some have recommended "just don't creep" and to always make hard starts, but that's just not always possible in heavy suburban traffic.

I have yet to take an interstate trip yet so I can't comment on the clutch behaviour after 20 minutes at a constant 75.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #690
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
I notice when the Deftones are playing my car shudders.

Bookmarks & Social Networks