Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus? - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: did you buy an extended warranty?
Nope. Included warranty only. 73 47.10%
Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered). 5 3.23%
Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered). 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #181
thelongone13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95644
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thelongone13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No extended warranty. I probably will only have this car for 2 years (24 month lease), so the next owner can decide. Besides, there will still be warranty left on the car when I turn it in.

A Ford Focus driver with ADD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #182
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25443
What I Drive: 2012, RedCandy, 5-Door, SE

FF Reputation: 1 nibyak Good Standing Member
Yes, I just got the 125,000 miles, 4 year on my 2012 SE 5 Door. I had a 3 year 100,000 miles on my 08 Focus SES. And I had the 100,000 miles 3 year on my 06 Freestyle. I got it on the Freestyle because of the CVT Transmission which didn’t start having problems until 60,000 miles. My Freestyle was in the shop over ten times and I had loaner cars for about 10 - 12 weeks. My dealer never charged me the $100.00 deductable. The reason I got on the 2012 is also the transmission. My 08 Focus also had transmission issues at about 8,000 miles where it wouldn’t shift into 3rd or 4th and sometimes reverse. I guess that was covered under the standard 36,000 miles but I’m not sure about the loaner car. I drive between 35,000 – 42,000 miles per year so the base warranty only covers me for less than a year.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #183
BoomShakalaka
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95305
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 BoomShakalaka Good Standing Member
I bought an SE less than 2 weeks ago, no SYNC of MFT in it. Auto transmission is the only additional option I purchased (to safely share it with my gf to drive my daughter around). I bought a 7 year warranty through the dealership, but the finance manager said that if I cancel this that it won't take my monthly payments down but instead will just take the last two months off of my term. Can anyone confirm that? I brought my dad who hasn't bought a new car in forever, and I asked him if it sounded like a good idea and he kinda shrugged and said yeah. I can't justify 2800 on a warranty that wont likely be used. If this transmission is shoddy I'm going to test it in the first 36k and make it prove itself.

To add onto that, being it's my first car, the peace of mind sounded like the right choice, but without any extra electronics, I feel like if something happens to the tranny or suspension they're just going to try and find a way to exclude it from warranty coverage.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #184
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibyak View Post
Yes, I just got the 125,000 miles, 4 year on my 2012 SE 5 Door. I had a 3 year 100,000 miles on my 08 Focus SES. And I had the 100,000 miles 3 year on my 06 Freestyle. I got it on the Freestyle because of the CVT Transmission which didn’t start having problems until 60,000 miles. My Freestyle was in the shop over ten times and I had loaner cars for about 10 - 12 weeks. My dealer never charged me the $100.00 deductable. The reason I got on the 2012 is also the transmission. My 08 Focus also had transmission issues at about 8,000 miles where it wouldn’t shift into 3rd or 4th and sometimes reverse. I guess that was covered under the standard 36,000 miles but I’m not sure about the loaner car. I drive between 35,000 – 42,000 miles per year so the base warranty only covers me for less than a year.
damn, I thought we put on a lot at 20 tp 25K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomShakalaka View Post
I bought an SE less than 2 weeks ago, no SYNC of MFT in it. Auto transmission is the only additional option I purchased (to safely share it with my gf to drive my daughter around). I bought a 7 year warranty through the dealership, but the finance manager said that if I cancel this that it won't take my monthly payments down but instead will just take the last two months off of my term. Can anyone confirm that? I brought my dad who hasn't bought a new car in forever, and I asked him if it sounded like a good idea and he kinda shrugged and said yeah. I can't justify 2800 on a warranty that wont likely be used. If this transmission is shoddy I'm going to test it in the first 36k and make it prove itself.

To add onto that, being it's my first car, the peace of mind sounded like the right choice, but without any extra electronics, I feel like if something happens to the tranny or suspension they're just going to try and find a way to exclude it from warranty coverage.
Congrats on the car, its a great first car (mine was a 1990 Tempo, already 8 years old when I got it lol!)

And yeah, since you have already financed the total amount, including the warranty, you would get a pro-rated amount back toward the loan after canceling, (if the car is paid off ny then, you get a refund minus admin fee) should you decide to sell or trade it in before warranty coverage is up. Your payments are an amortization, meaning that that the amount of interest and princliple are figured out at the start of the loan, the longer the loan goes on, the more of the payment goes toward the princliple balance. Your paying almost all interst int he first 1/3rd of the loan time frame. So if you make higher than minimum payment, your loan gets shorter cause theres less principle to charge you interest on...

Long story short, cashing in the remaining portion of the warranty will shorten your loan...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #185
BoomShakalaka
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95305
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 BoomShakalaka Good Standing Member
Thanks. I just wanted to get the help of a fellow consumer, just in case the finance manager was just trying to make me feel inconvenienced into keeping the warranty. I really want to be covered if something happens after the factory warning, but just one bad story about that extended warranty having no effect makes me want to stay away. I should probably just keep it even though that's a lot of money in the long run. $40x72 months. New car = thrilling, new car loan = fisting in the pooper.

Thanks again for the response, this forum is such a great resource.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #186
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomShakalaka View Post
Thanks. I just wanted to get the help of a fellow consumer, just in case the finance manager was just trying to make me feel inconvenienced into keeping the warranty. I really want to be covered if something happens after the factory warning, but just one bad story about that extended warranty having no effect makes me want to stay away. I should probably just keep it even though that's a lot of money in the long run. $40x72 months. New car = thrilling, new car loan = fisting in the pooper.

Thanks again for the response, this forum is such a great resource.
Sure, I have found a lot of great info here! We got the 75000 mile, and on our old Mountaineer we had the certified used warranty. Hit a huge pothole and destroyed the wheel speed sensor and wheel bearing. $100 deductable and a fully repaired vehicle felt good on a 500 fix.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #187
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
And don't forget to check your insurance policy as well. Mine has "major mechanical coverage" . . which I didn't even know about until I read the policy carefully when I bought the last Focus.

I'd had a transmission put in my 2006 F-150 and, just out of curiousity, submitted the paperwork . . . 3 months later. The carrier wrote me immediately to get details, explained that they generally require approval in advance but told me "no problem, send the dealer contact info and we'll take care of every thing here".

Check for $3,700 arrived the next Thursday.

Not an all together bad deal.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #188
Royal Tee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10037
What I Drive: Black Loaded Titanium & 2k1 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Royal Tee Good Standing Member
Well living & driving in NY/NJ I bought the TireCare ESP and it just paid off.

Hit a Pothole, sensor came on 10 mins. later, tire went flat.

I called roadside assistance and the tire was changed (spare) no charge (This is standard warranty not ESP).

Took it to the dealer today turns out the rim is bent also.
Going back in on monday and they will be replacing the rim, tire, sensor mounting, balancing and it's all covered under the TireCare ESP.

jftr, I have the 18" package w/Performance tires...Iknow I know, I should have a set of winters on but it's 55 degrees!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #189
drumr04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80216
What I Drive: '12 Sonic Blue Focus S 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 drumr04 Good Standing Member
For some reason it won't let me vote. I got the Premier Plus plan 72mo/100,000mi. I wasn't originally going to get it but after about 45 mins of negotiating w/the dealer I got it down to $900 plus the threw it floor mats and tint if I got the plan...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #190
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Extended warranties are a very poor investment and this is not just my experienced opinion from 25+ years in the automotive industry, but the financial experts at Money Magazine who wrote an in-depth article on this topic. If you took the serious money it takes to buy an extended warranty and put that money in an interest bearing account, you'll be money ahead and then some. Plus, many of these extended warranty companies go out of business, leaving you holding onto a piece of paper you paid over $1,000 for and now it's worth nothing. Also keep in mind the salespeople make big commissions off of selling these rip-off plans to you and tend to not be honest with the details about these plans. The only cars that need an extended warranty are lemons and if it's a lemon, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. The Focus is not a lemon. The standard warranty is just fine. They will try to lie to you and tell you the warranty is, "bumper-to-bumper", leading you to believe that anything that breaks is covered and that is false. Normal wear and tear items like struts/shocks, exhaust, tires, brakes, belts, hoses, spark plugs/wires, lights/bulbs, etc., are not covered by these rip-off plans. The only thing that is covered are major components like the engine and transmission and those are very unlikely to fail. Further, any repairs completed using an extended warranty are done to the minimum cost possible, as it is the extended warranty company paying for it. They will use rebuilt parts, not new parts, to save money and cut corners anywhere they can. Do you really want your care, "repaired", like that? I didn't think. Save you money.

Bookmarks & Social Networks