Basic Bolt-ons: Intakes and Induction - Page 23 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #221
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I don't think it is. There are only like 2 Aftermarket intakes that are legal in Cali and one of them is a K&N. I don't think any of them are Steedas, but I'm not 100%.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #222
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Only two types of CAI are legal in California.
The K&N FIPK Series II
and the now discontinued Cosworth CAI -- sometimes you may find them available in the used section.

GL.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #223
GeneC.79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94499
What I Drive: 2006 White ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 GeneC.79 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
Only two types of CAI are legal in California.
The K&N FIPK Series II
and the now discontinued Cosworth CAI -- sometimes you may find them available in the used section.

GL.
According to K&N they do not make a CAI that meets the CARB requirements. I called them up because I could not find on on their site. Everything listed there for the Focus, even the FIPK II series, said no for CA. The guy I spoke to on the phone told me they don't have one. He said he lives in CA and has a K&N on his car (not a focus) and he just swaps in his factory stuff for smog.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #224
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
http://www.knfilters.com/search/legal_all_states.htm
In the excerpt above, it states, "All K&N 57 series intakes for North American vehicles have received CARB EO numbers and are street legal in all 50 states."

I put this one into my car, which by the way, plenty of FoFo owners have installed in their cars AND passed California emissions with: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2559

The dyno test of the 57-2559 on a car that was exactly like mine via K&N: http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2559_dyno.pdf

You may also find this link handy, in case you feel like you want to get further confused by the K&N site: http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1453

Good luck.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #225
ppcblaster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66656
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 ppcblaster Good Standing Member
Dead Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
One of the first aftermarket parts folks like to install on their cars are aftermarket intakes. An aftermarket intake in most cases removes the stock airbox and replaces it with more of a free flowing setup. In this Topic I will go over what kind of intakes are out there and the pros and cons of each. Remember, all intakes fit both the 2.0L and the 2.3L. The only oddball is the 08-10 which only accepts the Steeda/FocusSport/AirRaid units as of yet.

NOTE: I have included links for pricing and pictures but by no means am I suggesting buying the particular product from that particular vendor. Do some shopping around, find the lowest price including shipping as that can be the deal breaker!

First off, there are two different styles of intake/induction setups. There is the shorty or short ram style and there is the cold air induction. Separately I have mentioned the "custom" intakes we have come up with.

Replacement Panel Filter:

There is no replacement panel filter for all but the 08-11 (non-PZEV) Foci due to Ford's decision to install a "maintenance free" lifetime air filter.

For the 08-11 (non-PZEV) models, K&N makes part #33-2401 which is available for around $45.99 from your local parts store.

Short ram intake:

Steeda 05-07 (note: will fit the 03-04 DTEC engines, but it is very tight against the headlight)
Steeda 08-10
AIRRAID Cold Air Dam Intake System 08-10

"Custom Short Ram"
The Custom Short Ram is built by removing the stock MAF tube, shaving off the tabs on both ends, flipping it and dremeling out the MAF sensor opening so that way it will fit in there facing the correct way, and then attaching one end to the stock throttle body boot and attaching a cone filter to the other end. It should sit right behind the driver's side headlight. If someone can find the "how-to" thread on this that would be greatly appreciated.

PROS
The benefit of this type of intake is that they are simple to install, they are fairly cheap and they give decent gains. Also, no risk of hydrolock.

CONS
These intakes can be louder then stock, for some folks this is a problem. Even though Steeda included a heat shield, they still take in ambient under hood air, which when the temps are hot can decrease power. There is a decent amount of air moving around when the vehicle is in motion however.

Cold air intakes:

Here are some of the more common cold air intakes you are likely to find.

FocusSport Cool-Flo (NOW FITS 08-11!)
K&N FIPK2
K&N Typhoon
Cosworth (discontinued)
F2 CAI
AEM CAI

"Stealth CAI"

PROS
These intakes make nice gains throughout the rpm range, mainly due to the fact that they locate the filter in an area where it can take in fresh air.

CONS
Most CAI setups use a tube which requires the stock electronics from the MAF sensor to be removed from its stock housing and then placed in the intake tube. This makes upgrading to a larger MAF impossible without buying a new intake. CAI setups also place the filter in a location where it is able to get very dirty very quickly. CAI require more frequent maintenance than short rams. CAI setups are also susceptible to water ingestion, being that the filter sits so far down near the ground.

These are not all of the intake setups for the Duratec motor, they are a group of the more common and more well known parts.

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!
Most links are dead
Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #226
GeneC.79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Actually that link to the K&N Website says

Quote:
This intake system is not legal for street use in the following states:

Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #227
blackbumpinfocus93
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80510
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 blackbumpinfocus93 Good Standing Member
Ok so my dumb self threw away the invoice for my FSWERKS Cool-Flo intake and now my ITG filter is starting to come apart on me and since I threw away the invoice, I cant take advantage of the Lifetime warranty on the filter, so I need some opinions, should I shell out the cash for another ITG filter, or get a K&N replacement filter, and does anybody know of a K&N filter that would be a good replacement, and is the same size as my ITG?

Thanks in advance guys!
Team Duratec #61
Sedan Revolution #134
2008+ SES #017
"Doing a drag race in an automatic is like running a 100M sprint in your wellies, full of tadpoles."- Jeremy Clarkson
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #228
GeneC.79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I would call k&n directly and just give them the dimensions of the ITG filter. I guarantee they have one that same size. I just installed my new FS Werks intake on saturday. So far I'm digging it. I'm weary about the filter myself. I've only used k&n and air raid so I'm used to the heavier duty looking ones. I trust that the fellas at FS Werks wouldn't use it if it weren't good. I'm curious though how everyone with that intake gets to the filter to clean it. As it is right now I have to remove the splash shield to get tio it
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #229
Macdad27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96866
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Fusion S

FF Reputation: 1 Macdad27 Good Standing Member
Hate to be a square, but will these mods work on a fusion? the fusion is like a big focus, so if not, why?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #230
GeneC.79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdad27 View Post
Hate to be a square, but will these mods work on a fusion? the fusion is like a big focus, so if not, why?
Best source for this answer would be FSWerks or one of the other manufacturers. The person who monitor's their FB page is pretty good with responding so you could just ask on their page if you don't want to call them. As far as I know the engines are nearly, if not actually, identical. However, the engine compartment may not have the exact same layout, so fit could be an issue.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
cai , cold air intake , duratec intake , intake , k&n , ram air , short ram intake , sri
-->