Help me make a How To on Making Your Own Wiring Harness For Cruise Control (smart people with wiring diagrams apply within) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-rod05 View Post
Sweet! Thanks to mikeeshaq I can confirm that this method will work for all 2000-2007 Foci.

Still want to see why the modules are engine specific though, in the wiring there is nothing different. I think I'll go pull a Zetec module from one at the junk yard unless someone has one to donate? The only difference I saw when i was there was the cable connector to the throttle. But as far as the servo, it looked the same.

I'll be working on the full write up over the next few days. I would like to get a little more info on the clock spring connector situation. That seems to be the only PIA thing someone would have to deal with. I'll post up another thread to get people to take pictures of theirs so we can get an idea what the difference is between years and engines.

EDIT: I have an 02 focus, the 05 diagrams just confirmed that everything is the same :)
What's the latest? I own a 2007 manual tranny car without cruise & just purchased a used cruise steering wheel. I have a 2007 ford-helms focus wiring diagram book. I'm an electrical engr & interested in helping the cause here. If you need me to send any pics of my connectors or wiring I will do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

It would be my assumption that the computer algorithm contained within the OEM module is optimized to a particular engine and transmission type so the throttle modulation is appropriate for each powerplant and axle gear. Aftermarket modules typically have adjustable sensitivity settings so the throttle position isn't moved to quickly or slowly with changes in speed and so the change in throttle position is appropriate (not too little or too much). Basically, higher power engines with deeper gears require far less sensitivity and the servo requires less delta appplied to maintain steady speed with changing load. A module for a lower power car with highway gearing would cause the muscle car to hunt. However this is less true with complex algorithms that monitor rate of change. Some folks may notice that Ford OEM cruise controls are inferior to most Chrysler of similar vintage. My '02 Taurus tends to fall asleep when entering an incline and then suddenly apply hard throttle to recover..it also overshoots at the crest of every hill with delayed throttle closing...while my similarly-underpowered '01 Dodge Caravan maintains perfect speed, smooth as glass.

Since OEM modules are fixed, so they are pretuned for certain hardware. this doesn't mean wiring differs.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24351
FF Reputation: 5 jay-rod05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
What's the latest? I own a 2007 manual tranny car without cruise & just purchased a used cruise steering wheel. I have a 2007 ford-helms focus wiring diagram book. I'm an electrical engr & interested in helping the cause here. If you need me to send any pics of my connectors or wiring I will do that.
Been busy with school but I had been back and forth a few times to the junkyard finding out new things each time. I made a disassembly video for engine bay and interior parts and also a wiring diagram overview video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJayrodo

Last three videos are the cruise control videos (Parts 1-3 so far)

I still need to make the wiring guide, I'll try to do that on Friday and post it up along with a new thread that has all the instructions.

You say you have the wheel, but do you have a servo yet? The videos show exactly what you need. It's all the same on 00-07 just from 05-07 your servo will be located at the front of the engine bay behind the driver side headlight.

Quote:
It would be my assumption that the computer algorithm contained within the module varies by engine and transmission type so the throttle modulation is appropriate for each powerplant. Aftermarket modules typically have adjustable sensitivity settings. Since OEM modules are fixed, so they are hardware specific. this doesn't mean wiring differs.
Actually from what I've found is that there is no difference in-between the SPI or Zetec modules, they both have the same circuit board numbers and I've tested both an SPI and Zetec servo in my SPI Focus and could not notice a difference at all. The only difference in fact the actuator cable, which is engine specific due to length of cable and the type of mount to the throttle body.

The servo itself it pretty generic I've come to find that it was the same design on the mercury cougar and a few mustangs that I saw at the junk yard, but those had different pin-outs and different circuit board numbers so it probably isn't worth the hassle trying to get those to work on a Focus.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Been busy with school but I had been back and forth a few times to the junkyard finding out new things each time. I made a disassembly video for engine bay and interior parts and also a wiring diagram overview video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJayrodo

Last three videos are the cruise control videos (Parts 1-3 so far)

I still need to make the wiring guide, I'll try to do that on Friday and post it up along with a new thread that has all the instructions.

You say you have the wheel, but do you have a servo yet? The videos show exactly what you need. It's all the same on 00-07 just from 05-07 your servo will be located at the front of the engine bay behind the driver side headlight.

Actually from what I've found is that there is no difference in-between the SPI or Zetec modules, they both have the same circuit board numbers and I've tested both an SPI and Zetec servo in my SPI Focus and could not notice a difference at all. The only difference in fact the actuator cable, which is engine specific due to length of cable and the type of mount to the throttle body.

The servo itself it pretty generic I've come to find that it was the same design on the mercury cougar and a few mustangs that I saw at the junk yard, but those had different pin-outs and different circuit board numbers so it probably isn't worth the hassle trying to get those to work on a Focus.
Awesome. I just purchased a 2007 zx3 manual strippo Focus last week for my daughter and bought the used ST leather wheel yesterday. It'll be a while before I dig into a junkyard to get the remaining cruise parts I need. Hopefully I can find somebody willing to let me hack an '07 car or I'll just adapt an earlier setup like you used. My 2.0 zetec motor was used all years I think & hopefully the throttle body linkage remained sinilar. I guess you're saying the '05-'07 steering wheel switches and clock spring are identical to the '02-'04 stuff. Any idea why they moved the servo toward the front of the engine bay in '05?

Your videos on youtube are wonderful. However it took me some time to realize all the harness hacking you did under the dash around the fusebox was simply to obtain some scrap multicolor wire to "reuse". I guess that's the difference between a thrifty student and an old engineer with spare cash and a cellar full of scrap wire.

Looks like it took a whole decade to get a comprehensive cruise install procedure posted on the internet for '00 to '07 focus...thanks so much for that!

PS: Ford parts websites show a unique clockspring for 2005 thru 2007. I'm not clear if air bag, turn signals, cruise, horn or something else changed.

Last edited by Lscman; 02-23-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

OK, some more info....

I own a 2007 Focus S strippo car with manual tranny. Keep in mind that cruise was not even an option on an S car.

Today I installed a tach cluster and made the following discoveries:

1) My car appears to have some or all OEM cruise wiring harness installed already, so the rumor that these cars are somewhat "ready" must be true.

2) the green connector to the pedal assy with 2 green wires with white tracer is folded back and taped near the pedal bracket.

3) clockspring appears to be wired on the 9 pin bottom connector. I was unable to see the pin #'s, but here the colors from left to right:

white w green tracer
blue w green tracer
green w yellow tracer
brown
white
black w blue tracer
black
black w orange tracer
green w red tracer

Also, as I viewed some ford internet parts sites I noticed that the clock spring got more expensive for models around 2006 and newer. I'm not sure why, but it appears to differ from the 2004 and earlier version. I haven't researched part numbers.

The bracket on my 2007 manual tranny pedal assembly has two switches on it. A big blue one on the left with 5 pin red connector and a black switch on the right side of the bracket (closer to brake) with black 3 pin connector. A spare hole sits above the black gadget for mounting another switch....maybe the green connector would plug into it.

hope this helps some. rick
Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

The details about 2005 cars are muddy in my mind. It appears to be carryover from '04 design.

However with respect to 2006 thru 2007 vintage cars, it appears they are all wired for cruise (ready). There does not appear to be a clockspring part# without cruise for this vintage, so it's equipped with one. The car also came equipped with clutch switch.

The servo module is built into the cruise servo beginning in 2006, so there's not stand-alone cruise control module. For this reason, the wiring to the servo is similar if not identical to the wiring to the pre-'05 module. From what I can see, the only things missing on my car are:

1) speed control servo (has integral module with 10 pin electrical plug)
2) cruise switches for steering wheel (or complete cruise steering wheel)
3) brake pedal position switch

I am confused whether the ECM/PCM needs programmed for cruise. I don't see why this would be necessary since the speed sensing is a standard feature and the cruise module intelligence is contained in the servo assy. But I really don't know.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Awesome. I just purchased a 2007 zx3 manual strippo Focus last week for my daughter and bought the used ST leather wheel yesterday. It'll be a while before I dig into a junkyard to get the remaining cruise parts I need. Hopefully I can find somebody willing to let me hack an '07 car or I'll just adapt an earlier setup like you used. My 2.0 zetec motor was used all years I think & hopefully the throttle body linkage remained sinilar. I guess you're saying the '05-'07 steering wheel switches and clock spring are identical to the '02-'04 stuff. Any idea why they moved the servo toward the front of the engine bay in '05?

Your videos on youtube are wonderful. However it took me some time to realize all the harness hacking you did under the dash around the fusebox was simply to obtain some scrap multicolor wire to "reuse". I guess that's the difference between a thrifty student and an old engineer with spare cash and a cellar full of scrap wire.

Looks like it took a whole decade to get a comprehensive cruise install procedure posted on the internet for '00 to '07 focus...thanks so much for that!

PS: Ford parts websites show a unique clockspring for 2005 thru 2007. I'm not clear if air bag, turn signals, cruise, horn or something else changed.
No idea why they moved the servo, probably because the engine was different and the throttle body is in a different location?

I don't think anything has changed on the clock spring from 05 and above but it looked similar and the plugs were the same.

I did notice that on an 04 that did not have cruise, it did have the clock spring for the cruise wires and the connector had the white, brown, and green/yellow wires on it, so maybe after 04 they decided to just have one clock spring instead of two?

Quote:
OK, some more info....

I own a 2007 Focus S strippo car with manual tranny. Keep in mind that cruise was not even an option on an S car.

Today I installed a tach cluster and made the following discoveries:

1) My car appears to have some or all OEM cruise wiring harness installed already, so the rumor that these cars are somewhat "ready" must be true.

2) the green connector to the pedal assy with 2 green wires with white tracer is folded back and taped near the pedal bracket.

3) clockspring appears to be wired on the 9 pin bottom connector. I was unable to see the pin #'s, but here the colors from left to right:

white w green tracer
blue w green tracer
green w yellow tracer
brown
white
black w blue tracer
black
black w orange tracer
green w red tracer

Also, as I viewed some ford internet parts sites I noticed that the clock spring got more expensive for models around 2006 and newer. I'm not sure why, but it appears to differ from the 2004 and earlier version. I haven't researched part numbers.

The bracket on my 2007 manual tranny pedal assembly has two switches on it. A big blue one on the left with 5 pin red connector and a black switch on the right side of the bracket (closer to brake) with black 3 pin connector. A spare hole sits above the black gadget for mounting another switch....maybe the green connector would plug into it.

hope this helps some. rick
Brown, white, greenyellow from the clock spring are your cruise switch wires.

The hole above the black switch is the where the green brake pedal position switch goes. You said that the green switch was there, where is it tied away at?

Quote:
The details about 2005 cars are muddy in my mind. It appears to be carryover from '04 design.

However with respect to 2006 thru 2007 vintage cars, it appears they are all wired for cruise (ready). There does not appear to be a clockspring part# without cruise for this vintage, so it's equipped with one. The car also came equipped with clutch switch.

The servo module is built into the cruise servo beginning in 2006, so there's not stand-alone cruise control module. For this reason, the wiring to the servo is similar if not identical to the wiring to the pre-'05 module. From what I can see, the only things missing on my car are:

1) speed control servo (has integral module with 10 pin electrical plug)
2) cruise switches for steering wheel (or complete cruise steering wheel)
3) brake pedal position switch

I am confused whether the ECM/PCM needs programmed for cruise. I don't see why this would be necessary since the speed sensing is a standard feature and the cruise module intelligence is contained in the servo assy. But I really don't know.
Not sure what you mean by the servo module and the cruise servo being built into each other, from what I've found the servo module in the engine bay does everything, the rest is just wires and switches.

The ECU/PCM does not need to be programmed to use cruise. Only 08 and above need to be programmed since they are drive-by-wire systems. The only thing the PCM is used for with cruise on the 00-07 is Pin # 28 which is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, but I've come to find that you don't even need to run a wire all the way over to that side of the car, all you need to do is tap into the Green/White wire from the radio, which is the same signal.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Here's the wiring guide and parts list I made:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82726802
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
No idea why they moved the servo, probably because the engine was different and the throttle body is in a different location?

I don't think anything has changed on the clock spring from 05 and above but it looked similar and the plugs were the same.

I did notice that on an 04 that did not have cruise, it did have the clock spring for the cruise wires and the connector had the white, brown, and green/yellow wires on it, so maybe after 04 they decided to just have one clock spring instead of two?

Brown, white, greenyellow from the clock spring are your cruise switch wires.

The hole above the black switch is the where the green brake pedal position switch goes. You said that the green switch was there, where is it tied away at?

Not sure what you mean by the servo module and the cruise servo being built into each other, from what I've found the servo module in the engine bay does everything, the rest is just wires and switches.

The ECU/PCM does not need to be programmed to use cruise. Only 08 and above need to be programmed since they are drive-by-wire systems. The only thing the PCM is used for with cruise on the 00-07 is Pin # 28 which is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, but I've come to find that you don't even need to run a wire all the way over to that side of the car, all you need to do is tap into the Green/White wire from the radio, which is the same signal.
Thanks! I didn't realize the servo module on 00-04 contained the electronics, but I noticed the long connector on one last night. I was thinking it had a separate module and servo like some older cars.

I'm not understanding what all the '06-'07 Focus cruise ecms are selling on ebay because they never show a pic. Are those servo modules? I read threads here claiming the pcm needs programmed to enable cruise but maybe that's for '09 and up fly by wire. Some go so far as claiming you need ot visit the dealer for a reflash and provide them a VIN# of a car with cruise.

I need to understand where the servo is mounted on '06 and '07 car. I see the battery box bracket has some space between the fender and battery with three bosses on it to accept bolts. However some service manal pics suggest the bracket is on the engine. There is also a little aluminum platform mount over top of the tranny bell just behind the cylinder head that would seem to fit a servo.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

OK, the '06 to '07 cruise servo/module is mounted on an existing black painted steel bracket found on all cars which extends between the front of the battery rack to the left fender. It has threaded bosses on it to mount the servo module. I guess the bracket is discontinued because everyone already has a one on their car. There are two different servos for '06-'07 cars, one is for 2.3L and another for 2.0L. I imagine it is calibrated differently since the motors and throttle bodies are quite different.

The green connector on my '07 car (without cruise) is taped to the harness about 2" away from where it would connect to a cruise control brake position sensor. It's easy to spot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks