Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #71
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
He was saying that the chassis ears have been inconclusive to date on trying to find or isolate the noise, especially on the wheel bearings. I asked him, well, since the vibration and hum is such occurring at such a low frequency, are the chassis ears even designed to detect a noise/vibration of that frequency? The frequency of the hum is so low it would likely take a subwoofer to replicate it. He responded that he honestly didn't know and wanted to ask the Field Service Engineer the same question.
You know, that may actually be the problem. Hate to quote myself, but I just had an epiphany. I've never seen or used chassis ears, but it sounded like a technician uses them with a pair of earphones. The frequency of the hum is so low I don't think earphones would be able to reproduce a sound of that frequency even if the microphone was able to detect it..... I think a subwoofer would be needed, or a very very nice pair of earphones.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong: If the chassis ears were detecting said low frequency vibration, you wouldn't even know it was detecting it because earphones couldn't reproduce that sound. Voila, can't detect the hum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #72
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
You know, that may actually be the problem. Hate to quote myself, but I just had an epiphany. I've never seen or used chassis ears, but it sounded like a technician uses them with a pair of earphones. The frequency of the hum is so low I don't think earphones would be able to reproduce a sound of that frequency even if the microphone was able to detect it..... I think a subwoofer would be needed, or a very very nice pair of earphones.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong: If the chassis ears were detecting said low frequency vibration, you wouldn't even know it was detecting it because earphones couldn't reproduce that sound. Voila, can't detect the hum?
Could be spot on!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #73
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:

I am going to post some messges I received in the hope it will give you creditability anhelp you geet you car fixed. You dealer can contact me 1615077602370 if any quesrions.
Please leave the names of he people respond to me out of th loop, a cpouplle have benn disbanne.

Here is the first one. Hey there DS. I got my car fixed. You can go back a few threads to see the explanations. They also replaced the headliner and re-aigned the spoiler to match the rest of the theHatch backs on the lot. Thanks to your assistance I think we got everything fixed. "I apreciate you man." If ever in my area, Nashville, TN, I owe you a dinner! I am going to pass on some of our discussions with another who needs the same help. Feel free to jump in
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #74
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Technical Chat
Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound
Welcome, jimmyt.
You last visited: Today at 04:21 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 7.

User CP FAQ Community Calendar New Posts How-To Archive Search Quick Links Log Out

Ford Focus Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Community Links
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
Contacts & Friends

Show Threads Show Posts
Tag Search
Advanced Search

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile

Go to Page...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

01-03-2012, 04:39 PM #37
Elantra2012
Banned

Fan#: 93428

What I Drive: 2012 Black Elantra

FF Reputation: 1
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0) Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hey jimmyt,

I reviewed the case notes, and engineering is actively working to resolve the bearing noise. Please keep in contact with your dealership, and let them know if the symptom changes. I truly appreciate the patience you have shown.

~Natasha

Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hidind the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sirhawkeye and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
I now own a 2012 Elantra totally flawless.The second I got the complete paperwork,the dealership gave a copy of the Hyundai quality control inspection sheet.Under "Road Test",you can read:Perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do.Call your dealership,tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones.If they refuse,call many times a week until they do.It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get did of it.
Good luck

Elantra2012
View Public Profile
View Gallery Images
Find More Posts by Elantra2012
Add Elantra2012 to Your Contacts

01-03-2012, 08:15 PM #38
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I'm happy to help. Have a wonderful day!

~Natasha

is this true? this is what I sent my dealership Service manager Chirs Robinson. Please contact him and get this problem solved.

Chris below is problem solved. Why have you not called FORD to get this done? Do I need to talk with another dealership or the owner of the one you work with? I now have over 11,800 and the wheel noise problem is still there as reported at 3,300 miles.

QUOTE=Elantra2012;3950951]Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hiding the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sir and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
Under "Road Test",you can read:Perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do. Call your dealership, tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones. If they refuse, call many times a week until they do. It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get rid of it.
Good luck[/QUOTE]

jimmyt
View Public Profile
View Gallery Images
Send a private message to jimmyt
Find More Posts by jimmyt
Add jimmyt to Your Contacts

01-03-2012, 08:18 PM #39
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elantra2012
Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hidind the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sirhawkeye and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
I now own a 2012 Elantra totally flawless.The second I got the complete paperwork,the dealership gave a copy of the Hyundai quality control inspection sheet.Under "Road Test",you can read:Perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do.Call your dealership,tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones.If they refuse,call many times a week until they do.It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get did of it.
Good luck

I have been after the dealerrship and FORD CS both who pass the buck to the other. My 18 X 24 inch maagnatic lemons are on the doors which say, "Ask me before you buy"
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldree
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem. We speculate on what it could be. The dealer replaced the front bearings a coupleof months ago. I wonder if he used the new bearings or the same bearings that came with the vehicle from the factory. Does anyone else have a problem like mine>

Go on record call Ford CS and report it!! This is so it will be covered when/if they find a cure.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #76
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beepster
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

There are more out there having this problem than I ever realized. For a long while I thought I was the only one. Be sure you let Ford CS know that the problem is not resolved. I hear that it is a bearing problem and the other manufacture of the bearings is not having the problems, which is why it is not a universal problem.

Regardless, FORD is losing sales over it!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #77
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyt
cbaldree, please keep those of us that are in this thread apprised of your success with a resolution.

PS: I sent Natasha, with FORD, my info and never anything heard back. I have been calling Ford not the dealership about every two to three weeks, since early August, hoping for a resolution. The dealerships cannot do anything until FORD lets them know what to do. Still waiting......

Thank you for letting me know you sent the information. I will go check the email account for it now.

~Natasha

Originally Posted by Beepster
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

There are more out there having this problem than I ever realized. For a long while I thought I was the only one. Be sure you let Ford CS know that the problem is not resolved. I hear that it is a bearing problem and the other manufacture of the bearings is not having the problems, which is why it is not a universal problem.

Regardless, FORD is losing sales over it!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #78
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman75
This sounds exactly what mine was doing and all mine was due to low air pressure. They were at 25 psi, aired them to 35 and the sound is almost all gone.
Now it very, very faint so I am pretty sure it is just tire-rubber related. These tires still have plenty of tread left but after reading reviews others have stated that the rubber becomes hard at noisy. The tires are the barum bravuris and will be my last set.
Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the comeback. The dealer put our Focus on a vibration system to check it and the tires were ruled out. That was the very first thing I checked as well. I am also on the 1st rotation of the tires, at proper inflation rates of 37 PSI, and the noise is very much still there.

Drive with the radio and fans off between 55 and 70 MPH and listen to see if you still hear the noise, you may be having the same problem. It is not as prevalent in some Focus models, mine is the Titanium Hatch back. Ford is aware of this so it indicates it is a known & documented non-tire related problem.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #79
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Welcome in the club,I got this problem since I bought the car in June.And to give you an update,engineers have apparently found the source of the problem a few weeks ago and it would be some bad bearings.The "new" bearings are apparently available but dealerships are waiting for the new TSB before ordering the parts to fix this issue.

The message was suppose to be out this week but again I was told to wait.After 19 weeks,me being pis.. off is an understatement.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #80
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Beepster, Nothing new, although I had a follow-up call from Ford CS today. I asked some pointed questions they could not answer. The fellow I spoke with said he would ask some contacts of his own to find out what he could. I asked what, where/why and how soon this could be fixed. I went on to say I was concerned that if it is taking so long to solve would this problem be taken care of if my warranty ran out. As of today nothing has changed with the TSB.

I went on to talk about my thread on Focus Frantics, which has enabled me to find out I was not the only one reporting this problem. I also told them that my wife is apprehensive about driving with this noise as she drives at the speeds it occurs. That when she is asked about how she likes her Titanium she tells people asking what is going on so Ford is not getting good press. Our Focus is good looking and several people each week ask how we like it

Bookmarks & Social Networks