DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 63 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #621
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
As one of the two clutches is used for those gears it seems likely it is a clutch problem. I would take it to the dealer soon even if you get no immediate satisfaction - this will at least preserve you warranty rights.
Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #622
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
I had my Focus' transmission reprogrammed a couple of weeks ago. The transmission was ok to start with, except that it went into neutral on two occasions when it was supposed to be in S3, an annoyance and a safety hazard. Mine was built prior to August, btw.

The differences after reprogramming are minor, but effective. The launch seems a little smoother and as of yet, the trans. has not gone into neutral on its own. Shifting may be a bit smoother than previously. Gears may be held a little longer but with a light throttle, the car still shifts at very low speeds, which is good. Kickdown seems to come with a little lighter foot on the pedal, now. In all, the driving experience is very nice, especially combined with the car's handling and ride.

Ford customer service reps., including Noemi, and the dealer treated me very well. The dealer had the car overnight to address a little rattle, in addition to the reprogramming, and they rented me a car, which I appreciated.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #623
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I'm taking mine to the dealer early in the AM. Maybe they can sort the issues.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #624
TDiGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93343
What I Drive: 2012, Candy Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TDiGuy Good Standing Member
I went on a small road trip the other day and decided to play with the Sport mode. As others have pointed out, when I dropped into S at 55 mph it automatically downshifted from 6th to 5th gear. Hmm, not the desired result. I shifted back to 6th then floored it. Instead of staying in 6th gear it decided to shift down to 3rd and when it approached redline it automatically up shifted to 4th. Again not the desired result.

What the hell is the point of putting manual controls on there if the car doesn't let me decide what gear I want? It defeats the purpose.

I hope Ford addresses this issue in the next firmware update.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #625
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

I think the automatic downshift from 6th to 5th is a good thing. I use that feature (in lower gears too) when I want a quick downshift for more power.

I haven't tried to floor it in 6th. I've done it in 2nd, and it stays in second.

I also think it's a good thing that it shifts up automatically. I know I wouldn't want to accidentally exceed the redline. Maybe if this were the SVT and I was on a road course, it would be a different story. But for a family car on the street, I like the way the transmission works.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #626
ChibanaChosin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95407
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 ChibanaChosin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiGuy View Post
I went on a small road trip the other day and decided to play with the Sport mode. As others have pointed out, when I dropped into S at 55 mph it automatically downshifted from 6th to 5th gear. Hmm, not the desired result. I shifted back to 6th then floored it. Instead of staying in 6th gear it decided to shift down to 3rd and when it approached redline it automatically up shifted to 4th. Again not the desired result.

What the hell is the point of putting manual controls on there if the car doesn't let me decide what gear I want? It defeats the purpose.

I hope Ford addresses this issue in the next firmware update.
I completely agree. I noticed this almost immediately after getting my 2012 last May. Sometimes when it shifts for me in manual mode make no sense whatsoever. The only times I am OK with it shifting for me in this mode are if I'm banging off the rev limiter, or if it's lugging at too high a gear for the speed.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #627
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
...when I dropped into S at 55 mph it automatically downshifted from 6th to 5th gear. Hmm, not the desired result.
S auto mode doesn't use 6th gear so it had to downshift from 6th to 5th.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #628
TDiGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93343
What I Drive: 2012, Candy Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TDiGuy Good Standing Member
Not sure what you mean by it "doesn't use 6th gear". If that were the case I wouldn't be able to up shift back into 6th manually.

I can certainly understand the safety features of having it automatically upshift at redline, but to have it automatically downshift defeats the purpose. This isn't a true sport mode.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #629
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by it "doesn't use 6th gear". If that were the case I wouldn't be able to up shift back into 6th manually.

I can certainly understand the safety features of having it automatically upshift at redline, but to have it automatically downshift defeats the purpose. This isn't a true sport mode.
They mean it doesn't automatically shift into or use 6th. Ever. You have to manually do it. Hence the "S auto mode" portion of their statement.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #630
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
S auto mode doesn't use 6th gear so it had to downshift from 6th to 5th.
That's correct, S auto doesn't use 6th gear. However, I'm pretty sure putting it in S mode will cause it to downshift in other gears, too--say from 4th to 3rd. I'll have to verify that one later.

Bookmarks & Social Networks