Remote Start and "Open Door Shut Off" - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #41
84convertablegt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94511
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 84convertablegt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, the part I got was CM5Z-19G364-B This is for vehicles with KEY start. I dont have the part number, but it IS different if you have the mykey feature(s) / push button start. It is also a slightly more difficult installation. I got it for 229 dollars. Everything needed is included and it is for the bi-directional model.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #42
84convertablegt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94511
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 84convertablegt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84convertablegt View Post
Well, the part I got was CM5Z-19G364-B This is for vehicles with KEY start. I dont have the part number, but it IS different if you have the mykey feature(s) / push button start. It is also a slightly more difficult installation. I got it for 229 dollars. Everything needed is included and it is for the bi-directional model.
Also, this kit includes the bypass and everything. You dont have to buy anything else.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
Yamazama
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94122
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Ti 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Yamazama Good Standing Member
Success with only 6 options in Bank 2 on 2012 Ti

Same story.. purchased a 2012 Ti with dealer installed Remote Start. Engine turned off as soon as I touched the door handle (keyless). I found the remote start module tucked up behind my glove box accessible through the glove box inner back side. The Program Button was obvious and mounted right beside the module along side the red LED.

Option Bank 2 only had 6 options settings when I scrolled through with the brake pedal. I'm guessing some of us have different firmware or something. After playing around a bit, this is how it now functions:

-Remote starts with 2 sec hold
-Honks 4 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob
-Car DOES NOT shut off when I touch handle or open the door. Nice!

Settings:
Option 1: LED Off
Option 2: LED Off
Option 3: LED On
Option 4: LED On
Option 5: LED On
Option 6: LED On

The 4 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

If anyone with a 6 option Bank 2 figures out how to set it up so it doesn't honk AND without restart needed.. please post the settings.

Last edited by Yamazama; 02-20-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Slight correction...
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #44
DemskeetSkeet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88167
What I Drive: 2012, Black Focus Hatch SEL 302a

FF Reputation: 1 DemskeetSkeet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazama View Post
Same story.. purchased a 2012 Ti with dealer installed Remote Start. Engine turned off as soon as I touched the door handle (keyless). I found the remote start module tucked up behind my glove box accessible through the glove box inner back side. The Program Button was obvious and mounted right beside the module along side the red LED.

Option Bank 2 only had 6 options settings when I scrolled through with the brake pedal. I'm guessing some of us have different firmware or something. After playing around a bit, this is how it now functions:

-Honks 3 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob

Settings:

The 3 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

If anyone with a 6 option Bank 2 figures out how to set it up so it doesn't honk AND without restart needed.. please post the settings.
That is a great start!

I was curious about how many feet from the antennae is the program button? Mine was ran up above the windshield then down the front stile on the driver side window.
Build Date: 08/16/2011
Picked up: 08/25/2011
Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
Yamazama
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemskeetSkeet View Post
That is a great start!

I was curious about how many feet from the antennae is the program button? Mine was ran up above the windshield then down the front stile on the driver side window.
My antennae is in the top right hand corner of my windshield. The wire behind my passenger side a-pillar trim, and down into the IP behind the glove box. Follow that wire to the Remote Starter module (about the size of an old VHS tape). I would say I have about 4-6 ft of wire between the module and the antennae. The Program Button is on a branch of wire very close to the module. You can't miss it.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #46
Yamazama
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazama View Post

-Honks 3 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob

Settings:

The 3 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

I need to correct my above statement. The horn chirps 4 times (not 3) with the above settings. In the remote start manual it says that 4 horn chirps means that my tach isn't programmed?? From what I've read, Option 1 should be "ON" indicating "Tachless mode". My above fix has Option 1 set to "OFF" which seems to prevent the auto-shutoff but triggers the 4 horn chirp error. I'm not sure if this could cause other issues. I'm going to go keep playing with it and will report back.. Any thoughts are welcome.

Yamazama
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #47
BAZINGA_2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95358
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BAZINGA_2012 Good Standing Member
Following you closely here, Yamazama. Looks like you have the same car and situation I do. I was very disappointed with how the remote start operated but a guy at the dealership told me I could probably find out how to re-program it here as he was legally bound (his words) to program it as it was. Since it's a push button start, do you actually have to start the car to start programming it? I did find my programming/override button so I at least have that info. Also, once programmed to continue running when the door is open, are you able to hit the break and shift gears without it shutting down? I'm kind of afraid to start messing with it but I guess I'll always be able to get it programmed back to how it started so it at least works..... hopefully.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #48
Yamazama
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA_2012 View Post
Following you closely here, Yamazama. Looks like you have the same car and situation I do. I was very disappointed with how the remote start operated but a guy at the dealership told me I could probably find out how to re-program it here as he was legally bound (his words) to program it as it was. Since it's a push button start, do you actually have to start the car to start programming it? I did find my programming/override button so I at least have that info. Also, once programmed to continue running when the door is open, are you able to hit the break and shift gears without it shutting down? I'm kind of afraid to start messing with it but I guess I'll always be able to get it programmed back to how it started so it at least works..... hopefully.
So I have a 2012 Focus Ti with a dealer installed remote start. This is how I accessed the program menu: Yes you actually start the car.

The steps are:
-Ensure doors and liftgate are closed
-Depress and hold brake
-Press 'start' button (engine running now)
-Press and hold the Program button until the horn chirps 3 times signalling it's ready mode
-Press and release Program button, the horn will chrip 4 times indicating Option Bank 1. Scroll to Option Bank 2 with the Program Button (5 chirps indicates Option Bank 2). Scroll through options with a press/release of the brake pedal. Horn will chirp back at you to indicate what Option you are on (2 chirps, option 2; 3 chirps, option 3; etc). Once in an option, you can turn it on or off with a single click of the button on the transmitter.
-Turn the car off to save the settings.

To summarize what I've read, the problem has to do with the MyKey feature. When you remote start a car that has a keyless feature, it starts off a hidden fob imbedded in the remote start module. By default the 'safety' feature is actually just a way of making sure MyKey still functions with a remote start. By having the car shut down, it forces a restart. This time it starts off the drivers fob and thus retains any of the MyKey settings. Otherwise, if it stayed on, and a driver with MyKey functions set on his fob entered the car, those settings would not retain as the original start came off the hidden admin fob. That's why the dealership is giving people a hard time when they ask to disable shut-off. I checked the Installation manual for this remote start and the only thing programming instructions the Dealership Mechanics are given is to ensure Option 1 in Program Bank 2 is ON. Which goes against my "solution" above.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #49
Yamazama
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA_2012 View Post
I was very disappointed with how the remote start operated but a guy at the dealership told me I could probably find out how to re-program it here as he was legally bound (his words) to program it as it was..
I feel the same disappointment. Interesting to hear what your dealership said, because the guy at my dealership said he could change it for 130 bucks! So much for being legally bound. What a rip off! Once you know how to do it, it's about as hard as setting the time on your stove.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #50
BAZINGA_2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95358
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BAZINGA_2012 Good Standing Member
Thanks for sharing what you have figured out. I do feel better equiped now to try to take this on. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow afternoon after work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.