SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
Entrical
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75364
What I Drive: '09 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Entrical Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
I see, so if there is light snow on the 17 one or two times in the year, the DW should be able to handle it, provided I drive really, really slowly?
Eh, on a road like 17 I wouldn't chance it. People drive like @$$holes on that road already, I wouldn't make it harder on yourself using a tire that isn't going to perform properly. I'd stick with the DWS or RE970.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,865, Level 25
Points: 1,865, Level: 25 Points: 1,865, Level: 25 Points: 1,865, Level: 25
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrical View Post
Eh, on a road like 17 I wouldn't chance it. People drive like @$$holes on that road already, I wouldn't make it harder on yourself using a tire that isn't going to perform properly. I'd stick with the DWS or RE970.
Now that's the first bit of useful advice I've gotten for an all year use on tires. Thanks man.

And I'll admit I'm a bit of an @$$hole when I drive on it too...by that I mean if people are driving too slowly, I drive around them when possible and it's highly aggravating if I'm not doing more than 50mph on it. Thus the question of tires and upgraded suspension...
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #43
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,865, Level 25
Level Up 65% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Just called Tousley and got quoted $587.40 + shipping for the FRPP (dynamic) kit.
And 247 - 287 for the SVT kits.

I think this is a no brainer at this point. Steve and Mike were thorough and helpful.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54911
What I Drive: 2003, Silver, ZX3 2.3 5-speed

Points 1,113, Level 18
Points: 1,113, Level: 18 Points: 1,113, Level: 18 Points: 1,113, Level: 18
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 homey55 Good Standing Member
We have the same car...exactly! The FRPP kit is really nice. The rebound is a little fast but that's expected whe the suspension travel is reduced. The Dynamic kit is what they used for spec Focus racing and I wish I could afford it but the SVT/FRPP Springs work nice. I would try to find a bigger sway bar as well...that's my next mod.

Tires...not sure if Conti has the DW/DWS in stock for our rim size. I got Yokahama S-Drives for a good price and I like them a lot.

Lastly, get an allignment and make sure you budget for it or you will not realize the benefits of the drop and your tires will get ruined.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
No issues to date. And I too am running on 17 inch rims with no rubbing.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,865, Level 25
Level Up 65% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Sup Homey

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
We have the same car...exactly! The FRPP kit is really nice. The rebound is a little fast but that's expected whe the suspension travel is reduced. The Dynamic kit is what they used for spec Focus racing and I wish I could afford it but the SVT/FRPP Springs work nice. I would try to find a bigger sway bar as well...that's my next mod.

Tires...not sure if Conti has the DW/DWS in stock for our rim size. I got Yokahama S-Drives for a good price and I like them a lot.

Lastly, get an allignment and make sure you budget for it or you will not realize the benefits of the drop and your tires will get ruined.
Hey Homey! Yup we have the same spec car. Mine was built in 2004 and sold in 04, there is some hybridization of parts between the 05 and mine...

Does your ride come with ABS or power windows/locks? If not, your car and mine are identical.

Some of the mods I've done include the Mach headlight swap, added fog lights, fog light/high beam mods, K&N FIPK II (keeping it CARB legal), DIY short shifter and more...

I'm finally getting down to the nitty gritty and I've pretty much decided on the SVT suspension, the FRPP (dynamic) set up is out of reach considering I really started out needing tires that don't surprise me in the wet.

The suspension was a bit of an after thought. And as I've driven several SVT's I know what to expect. As much as the FRPP kit is appealing, my budget simply does not account for both tires and suspension.

The DWS or DW are definitely available on TireRack in the 205/50R16 size.

Are you looking for a bigger sway bar than the one included with the SVT kit?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #47
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,865, Level 25
Level Up 65% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Alright folks, so the decision has been finalized based on the availability of funds. I'm going with the SVT suspension, as I started this endeavor needing tires...

Thank you to all for your input and guidance.

I'll be making the purchase later this week. If any of you know where I can get the FRPP kit for ~$350, I'll be happy to change my mind, but I believe that kit has been discontinued.

Happy trails.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #48
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,113, Level 18
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I do not have ABS or power anything. Just a big motor and a nice, leather wrapped, steering wheel :) ...no frills!

You can get the SVT replacement shocks and the FRPP springs for $320 ish delivered from Tousley and, like I said, it's nice just a quick rebound due to less travel.

I was going to get Conti DWS tires last month but they were on backorder "indefinitely" so confirm that they are in-stock before you buy. I'm happy with the S-Drives though and they seem to have a nice tread and a nice stiff sidewall.

I am looking for a new rear sway and I may just look for a used one as they are cheap and don't really wear out. I would like to get a 22mm bar from sway-a-way. I want a little more oversteer and I understand that will help.

Take what's left over in your tax return and get the Ballance Shaft Delete. It's cheap, easy to install and adds power and oil capacity (1qt!). I think $25, some RTV and a couple hours is all you need.

Don't forget the allignment too!

Glad to see you doing all of this to your ride...it's a lot of fun for a little money!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #49
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,865, Level 25
Level Up 65% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
I do not have ABS or power anything. Just a big motor and a nice, leather wrapped, steering wheel :) ...no frills!

You can get the SVT replacement shocks and the FRPP springs for $320 ish delivered from Tousley and, like I said, it's nice just a quick rebound due to less travel.

I was going to get Conti DWS tires last month but they were on backorder "indefinitely" so confirm that they are in-stock before you buy. I'm happy with the S-Drives though and they seem to have a nice tread and a nice stiff sidewall.

I am looking for a new rear sway and I may just look for a used one as they are cheap and don't really wear out. I would like to get a 22mm bar from sway-a-way. I want a little more oversteer and I understand that will help.

Take what's left over in your tax return and get the Ballance Shaft Delete. It's cheap, easy to install and adds power and oil capacity (1qt!). I think $25, some RTV and a couple hours is all you need.

Don't forget the allignment too!

Glad to see you doing all of this to your ride...it's a lot of fun for a little money!
I see, so the other option is to get just the FRPP springs with the SVT dampers. Is that what you got? I should call Steve back and talk to him about that. What, if any, disadvantages might this set up create. If the shocks are made for the SVT setup, does it inhibit the longevity of the dampers/shocks?

What are the relevant advantages of getting the BSD done? I know that it reduces the rotational mass, possibly making the engine free-er revving..

The Conti DWS's are available, just checked...

Messing with the car is fun and I'm liking each change more and more :)
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #50
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,113, Level 18
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Yeah, $320 for SVT shocks and Ford Racing springs and it gives you a 1.5" drop. The SVT shocks are just fine for the FRPP springs as they have more dampening than stock. Steve will know exactly what you want.

The advantages of the BSD are exactly what you stated plus you add 1qt of oil which allows your engine to run a little cooler.

Bookmarks & Social Networks