what ECU should i buy for my spi - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Royce01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93858
What I Drive: 2001 amazon green metallic SE 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 Royce01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what ECU should i buy for my spi

I have an spi focus with 111k miles on it with a magnaflow cat back installed everything else is pretty much stock engine wise. Im on a budget and i was wondering what ecu chip would give my car the most power for under $150
without ruining my engine.

I've looked at slr motorsports and they garrentee up to a 60hp increase. there chip only cost $70 and i was wondering if they were any good. If you can recommend anything pls let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
*facepalm*

Their chip does nothing. the cheapest you can go would be 450 and that is using a tune through 1turbofocus(Tom) here on the forum. Even than it might give you 5whp. SPI is a slow engine with not a lot of performance parts...
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
the chip is fake man. sorry dude.. the only thing that would give you a nicer response ecu wise, would be a tune from one of the sites sponsors... for a full tune its about 400ish and with focus power they include lifetime free updates. Better throttle response, and mpgs are known to be improved.

I saw you mentioned you have an spi plus you posted in the spi section.. .have you had any valve seat failure? Its common with the spi engines. If not, id save the money and when the engine goes out swap to a zetec platform. better aftermarket for them. or if you can find a duratec engine even better. but i know the money is tight (we all have that issue lol) but dude honestly if i were in your shoes, id work on the suspension and plan a swap.. thats if you want to keep your car later on bud.

sorry we couldnt give you anymroe help.

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Royce01
Focus Enthusiast

ecu

i know about the valves and stuff and i already have an upgraded suspension. I was actually considering waiting for the new st to come out and probably do an engine swap. I would also have to change the transmission as well which is fine, mine needs it. But like u said money is tight and i work at burger king and don't turn 18 for another 2 days so i dont get a whole lot of hours. im probably better off getting a zetec or duratec. I just don't know how much a new or rebuilt one is gonna cost me plus my car is an automatic. Im not sure how much thats gonna cost either.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
jjzx2sr
Banned

Fan#: 74691
What I Drive: 2001 Green Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 3 jjzx2sr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
An SPI can be made to run pretty quick with the right amount of engine work. Increase the displacement by.020ths, file the rings to fit, raise the compression ratio. make sure to get the head redone with improved valve seats to prevent valve drop. PNP the head and you can make the SPI rock.

The other side of the coin is to lower the compression and boost it.

Or go extreme and build a ZVH engine. That is a Zetec Block with an SPI head. That way you can use eagle rods and forged pistons and all the zetec bottom end parts.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Royce01
Focus Enthusiast

My cousin Derek built me a rally spec race engine when i first bought my car.
I think he might have done the zetec/spi conversion. But then again knowing him he probably just custom built one from the ground up. He works for a speedshop in California, and when he was done with the engine it was supercharged and dyno @ 344hp @ 7,200 rpm and 359 ft lbs of torque @ 5,000 rpm. I raced my freinds ford F:250 and smoked him. But my dad found out when he used my car to go to the post office and got pulled over for doing 57mph in a 45mph zone. he popped the hood and went ballistic. he called my cousin and made him fly down from cali to take the engine out and install my spi back. so yeah thats why ive been trying to get advice from u guys to see whats the best thing for me to do since my cousin isnt allowed to touch my car now.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 7 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Thats a pretty tall tale bro. Not only is it super rare to see a supercharged 4-cyl make that kind of power. I also find it hard to believe that your cousin would build and drop a $6000+ engine in your base model focus for the heck of it.

Anyhow, back on topic. $150 wont get you anything of note. You are probably better served investing that money into doing a solid tuneup and a new air filter.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce01 View Post
My cousin Derek built me a rally spec race engine when i first bought my car.
I think he might have done the zetec/spi conversion. But then again knowing him he probably just custom built one from the ground up. He works for a speedshop in California, and when he was done with the engine it was supercharged and dyno @ 344hp @ 7,200 rpm and 359 ft lbs of torque @ 5,000 rpm. I raced my freinds ford F:250 and smoked him. But my dad found out when he used my car to go to the post office and got pulled over for doing 57mph in a 45mph zone. he popped the hood and went ballistic. he called my cousin and made him fly down from cali to take the engine out and install my spi back. so yeah thats why ive been trying to get advice from u guys to see whats the best thing for me to do since my cousin isnt allowed to touch my car now.
Cool story bro!

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Pvtjoker53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116676
What I Drive: 2002 green ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Pvtjoker53 Good Standing Member
First off not rare at all for a 4 cylinder to produce that kind of power the evo and the sti are both 4 cylinders
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
hmmmmmm lol bump from the dead!

anyways those are turbo not supercharged.

Bookmarks & Social Networks