Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Natasha, is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey cbaldree,

Please PM me your info (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) and I'll escalate your issue.

Thanks!

~Natasha
is this true? This is what I sent my dealership Service manager Chirs Robinson. Please contact him and get this problem solved.

Chris below is problem solved. Why have you not called FORD to get this done? Do I need to talk with another dealership or the owner of the one you work with? I now have over 11,800 and the wheel noise problem is still there as reported at 3,300 miles.

QUOTE=Elantra2012;3950951]Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false. I do not say you made it up, but who ever provided this info sure did. The cause of this problem, the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons, only a few dealerships have been made aware of it. The TSB updates have never been released, even if the solution is relatively cheap (under 400$), Ford engineers are hiding the info about the new bearings. So far, only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sir and myself(use to be Boaster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh.t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August. It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.

Natasha, what my wife and I want to know is WHEN will this noise be fixed and gone!! We have patiently waited over 28 weeks over 1/2 year for FORD to fix this. We have to drive over 70 MPH, which is illegal or under 50 MPH to not hear this hypnotic noise. Try driving under 50 MPH on the interstate!! Does FORD care or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
My 2012 Focus SE has same humming issue

Hello all,

Figured I'd express my concern over this issue also. I have a 2012 Focus SE hatchback (6 speed select shift transmission). My problem is the same as jimmyt's, but at a different speed range. I hear/feel a rhythmic hum right at 45 mph up to 60 mph, but don't hear/feel it at any other time. Can't tell if it's both front wheels or not. I can feel the hum through the floorboards and hear it from the front of the car. I noticed it on my first highway drive when the car had about 250 miles on it.

Just dropped it off at my local Ford dealer (Ford of Clermont) about an hour ago. I'll report back when I have more news. Such a shame, my first new car only having 1000 miles on it with a weird problem like this

Jimmyt, saw that you might have been getting new wheel bearings around 2/8 from another post. Any luck getting the issue resolved?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
Hello all,

Figured I'd express my concern over this issue also. I have a 2012 Focus SE hatchback (6 speed select shift transmission). My problem is the same as jimmyt's, but at a different speed range. I hear/feel a rhythmic hum right at 45 mph up to 60 mph, but don't hear/feel it at any other time. Can't tell if it's both front wheels or not. I can feel the hum through the floorboards and hear it from the front of the car. I noticed it on my first highway drive when the car had about 250 miles on it.

Just dropped it off at my local Ford dealer (Ford of Clermont) about an hour ago. I'll report back when I have more news. Such a shame, my first new car only having 1000 miles on it with a weird problem like this

Jimmyt, saw that you might have been getting new wheel bearings around 2/8 from another post. Any luck getting the issue resolved?
Just heard back from the dealer last Friday the 10th. My car is still in the shop having other issues resolved, headliner replaced and rear spoiler alined to fit properly, however they informed me that they have replaced both front bearings and said the noise is gone. I have not driven the car yet so I can only report what I have been told. If your dealership replaces the two front bearings, ask them to use the new part numbers so as to not get bearings from the bad batch, if they have not been pulled.

Good luck with yours. This has been a 6 month project for me. I am looking forward to hearing that your problem has been solved.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply. Car has been at the shop all day and haven't heard back yet. Called to see what's up and they said there has been no word from the technician. The waiting game continues.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #45
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Car has been at the shop all day and haven't heard back yet. Called to see what's up and they said there has been no word from the technician. The waiting game continues.
Do you know when your car was built? I got mine in May 2011 after ordering Jan 3, 2011. The dealer knew of the noise and FORD has a TSB out about Jan 24, 2012 on the problem and an Oasis memo to keep monitoring the noise when I first reported it and had my problem verified by the dealer.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #46
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

My build date is 10/09/2011, so it's not one of the older 2012's. I'm going to try and look up that TSB because the service department here is starting to give me the run around already. "The technician took it out for a spin and he said he couldn't feel much of anything, but he's going to go a 2nd time to see." I've got a Progressive Snapshot device installed, and there has been no driving activity since I dropped the car off. I'm extremely pissed right now...

If I can't find it on my own here in a sec, where can you find any TSB details? On Ford's ETIS or anything similar?

Last edited by ruthrj; 02-13-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #47
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Just got the car back from the dealership. After they had it for 8 hours, they finally test drove it to hear the hum for themselves.

Service Clerk: "Yes, the technicians did hear a slight noise. They determined it wasn't a safety issue, and that it isn't a big enough problem to service".

I'm beyond pissed, but I completely kept my cool....

Me: "Am I understanding you correctly? I spent about $20,000 on this car less than two months ago, and now you're telling me to drive off and deal with it, wait for the problem to get worse?
Clerk: "No, I'm not. I'm just saying there's a certain procedure that we here have to follow."
Me: "Send me off with a car that you just admitted has a problem, but you won't do anything about it."

I told him how I've been researching this all day and that this may be a problem with the wheel bearings, and then he brings up all the TSB's for my car and says, "Hmm... I don't see anything here about a hum or bearings."

I was through dealing with him, so I said I'm not leaving the lot like this, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled. I got the service manager, and he was much more professional about it. Turns out, he got only about 2 minutes in the car and wasn't listening for the particular sound I had described. He apologized for wasting my entire day (and unspokenly acknowledging that they had mistakenly tried to blow me off). We rode in my car together, and took turns driving. We both heard the hum, and tried to identify the source. We both agreed it wasn't 100% obvious if it was coming from the front or back, but that it sounded like the driver's side was involved.

He's going to drive a car on the lot tomorrow with the same exact options as mine to try and compare the two (get a baseline from which to work off of). We scheduled a new appointment on Wednesday, and I'll drop the car off again that day.

Again, I'll let you know how that goes . Hope your issue was actually fixed as reported by the service department!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Just got the car back from the dealership. After they had it for 8 hours, they finally test drove it to hear the hum for themselves.

Service Clerk: "Yes, the technicians did hear a slight noise. They determined it wasn't a safety issue, and that it isn't a big enough problem to service".

I'm beyond pissed, but I completely kept my cool....

Me: "Am I understanding you correctly? I spent about $20,000 on this car less than two months ago, and now you're telling me to drive off and deal with it, wait for the problem to get worse?
Clerk: "No, I'm not. I'm just saying there's a certain procedure that we here have to follow."
Me: "Send me off with a car that you just admitted has a problem, but you won't do anything about it."

I told him how I've been researching this all day and that this may be a problem with the wheel bearings, and then he brings up all the TSB's for my car and says, "Hmm... I don't see anything here about a hum or bearings."

I was through dealing with him, so I said I'm not leaving the lot like this, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled. I got the service manager, and he was much more professional about it. Turns out, he got only about 2 minutes in the car and wasn't listening for the particular sound I had described. He apologized for wasting my entire day (and unspokenly acknowledging that they had mistakenly tried to blow me off). We rode in my car together, and took turns driving. We both heard the hum, and tried to identify the source. We both agreed it wasn't 100% obvious if it was coming from the front or back, but that it sounded like the driver's side was involved.

He's going to drive a car on the lot tomorrow with the same exact options as mine to try and compare the two (get a baseline from which to work off of). We scheduled a new appointment on Wednesday, and I'll drop the car off again that day.

Again, I'll let you know how that goes . Hope you're issue was actually fixed as reported by the service department!
So what if any other cars on the lot make the noise. It does not make it a non-problem. My Titanium makes the noise too. FORD knows they have a problem as indicated by the Oasis bulletin. I do not have the TSB number but read the following summary of my problem. Feel free to copy this and take it in to the dealer.

We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, but not as pronounced. We hear it between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in Early August. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution, however OASIS SSM 21985 says to monitor OASIS for further updates. I told my dealer about the TSB along with my FORD CS Rep I had been working with. The next day the dealer service manager called and said to bring it in to have the recommended fix, which is to replace the two front bearings with the “NEW PART NUMBER BEARINGS.” If they don’t have a problem, why the new part number for the bearings?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #49
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

I hear you with the car comparison idea. It makes no difference whether or not another car works fine, my car has an issue. Service manager told me that was his step 1 for most problems. Get a baseline, and then communicate with Ford the difference to get help with it. I was so happy to be leaving there tonight, trust me!

Thanks for posting the OASIS #. I had printed it out and shown that, but the clerk said that didn't apply to my vehicle. I swear to god I could have strangled him. I'm going to bring it up again on Wednesday to the service manager, whether or not things go south. Fingers crossed, thanks for that nice summary. This car will get fixed by the end of the month so help me god!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #50
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

To FordCustomerService

By the way, if you happen to stumble across this Natasha, I PM'd you my info (VIN, contact information, etc.). I'm very worried that the service dealer is going to blow me off again on Wednesday when I go back in for my appointment. I would greatly appreciate any help in getting my car fixed. I bought a Ford because it's an awesome product that my family has always stood by. Having the service department try to shoo me away saying I had to wait for the problem to get worse really upset me. That's most definitely not what comes to my mind when I think FORD!

Bookmarks & Social Networks