DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 56 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #551
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They applied that TSB 12-01-04 update on my 11/23/11 built SEL before I took delivery last Tuesday. It actually ran smooth before the update during the test drive but I wanted the latest update anyway. It ran smooth up until 2 days ago when it started jumping a little when accelerating from a stop, like a poorly driven manual. No sounds or other symptoms, just a sort of jumpy hesitance from a stop. Hopefully it'll work itself out with continued driving. I only have 350 miles on the car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #552
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I only have 350 miles on the car...
That's cute... I remember my second day with the car...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #553
mokz316
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93668
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL HB

FF Reputation: 3 mokz316 Good Standing Member
got the 12-01-04 tsb update yesterday and from based on my drive back home from the dealership it seemed to have a smoother ride but noticed the ff:

1. revs where higher and more aggressive even when im not really stepping on it
2. merging into a lane the revs and the actual speedometer does not seem to jive.. (it felt like i was already flooring it but the speedo just did not catch up to it.. took longer than i have expected to get to the desired speed)
3. no more jerkiness on reverse

and they seemed to have taken it for spin too while testing since i racked up almost 40km on the ODO when i came to pick it up.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #554
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
I'm thinking of performing the drive cycle again, not knowing how/if it was done at the dealer. Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

Joe
Hey Joe,

Definitely try the "Drive Cycle" because it can't hurt anything and could be helpful. If you weren't sure it was done by the dealer then really you should of done it right after the update.

Anyone going for the update should have a copy of the Drive Cycle Procedure on hand to perform right after getting the car back unless your sure your dealer will do it (not just a test drive as per the last step) completely and correctly. I think some dealers will skip some steps and just test drive it so that's a good enough reason (for me) to do it yourself.

Let us know if you try it and it helps any.

Noah
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #555
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
That's cute... I remember my second day with the car...
Yep, it's a magical time right now.....
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #556
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokz316 View Post
got the 12-01-04 tsb update yesterday and from based on my drive back home from the dealership it seemed to have a smoother ride but noticed the ff:

1. revs where higher and more aggressive even when im not really stepping on it
2. merging into a lane the revs and the actual speedometer does not seem to jive.. (it felt like i was already flooring it but the speedo just did not catch up to it.. took longer than i have expected to get to the desired speed)
3. no more jerkiness on reverse

and they seemed to have taken it for spin too while testing since i racked up almost 40km on the ODO when i came to pick it up.
Yeah, when I took delivery of the car, after they performed the update, I noticed the car had 32 miles on it whereas when I test drove it it had maybe 10-15. So it looks like it takes a good 20 miles or so of driving to finish the update.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #557
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballeater View Post
Well got mine done today. I thought to myself, what if they didnt do it cause they said it was ok, or worse they said they did do it, but really they didnt......Well that was before I drove the car. I could tell right away that they did it! What a difference! Shifting is alot smoother and rpms are a bit higher.

I also noted the Test menu before and after the update and a couple codes did change. They are: under APP it was BM5T-14CO26-AK, now its BM5T-14CO26-AP also under NVM EEPROM it was 17.m8 now its 19.101.

I'm not sure if the above changes relate to the transmission update or a gauge calibration update they did. He said the calibration update should fix the fuel guage error i got when it was cold outside.

Thanks eyeballeater for the great info since you recorded the EEprom and App version info before and after the update. I am pretty sure this is how we can tell what version of PCM software we are using. I had my update done on Dec 10 so I think I missed the latest TSB version and probably got 11-10-02 applied. My dealer did not write the TSB# on my invoice, they just said TSB applied.

I will check my EEprom and App version info and compare to what you posted. Also I noticed on your invoice they wrote TSB 11-1-4 instead of TSB 12-1-4, do you suppose that's just a typo?

To anyone else going in for the update or just someone who had it done recently and have the TSB# 12-1-4 printed on there invoice please read the EEprom and App info and post what you see (before and after the update if possible).

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #558
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Hey Joe,

Definitely try the "Drive Cycle" because it can't hurt anything and could be helpful. If you weren't sure it was done by the dealer then really you should of done it right after the update.

Anyone going for the update should have a copy of the Drive Cycle Procedure on hand to perform right after getting the car back unless your sure your dealer will do it (not just a test drive as per the last step) completely and correctly. I think some dealers will skip some steps and just test drive it so that's a good enough reason (for me) to do it yourself.

Let us know if you try it and it helps any.

Noah
This weekend for sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #559
EliSandler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94873
What I Drive: Black 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 EliSandler Good Standing Member
Hi All,

New here. Been reading up on the Focus for a while as I am considering the purchase. A little hesitant about the Trans problems. I was wondering, do you guys drive the car mostly in D or S mode? When breaking in the transmission (Adaptive learning phase), are you required to drive it in D or S, does it make a difference as far as the computer learning your driving habits?

Another question, I definitely want the hatch. My decision will be based on a vehicle that has both fuel economy (very important), and Tech (Audiophile/Comp geek here), as well as the extra cargo space of a hatch...How is it for a a guy 6'3" 220 pounds as far as head and leg room? Mind you, I currently drive a 2007 civic, and though a little tight, I am comfortable - no sunroof. It will be me and my girlfriend using the car, mostly me. Sorry for all the questions.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #560
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSandler View Post
Hi All,

New here. Been reading up on the Focus for a while as I am considering the purchase. A little hesitant about the Trans problems. I was wondering, do you guys drive the car mostly in D or S mode? When breaking in the transmission (Adaptive learning phase), are you required to drive it in D or S, does it make a difference as far as the computer learning your driving habits?
1) The car is normally driven in D because S does not use 6th gear (unless it is selected manually).
2) You shouldn't have to worry about adaptive learning. Hopefully your transmission should be fine when you take delivery of the car.
3) The transmission does not learn your driving habits. It calibrates itself based on mechanical tolerances.

Bookmarks & Social Networks