2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
JNAGY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94630
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue hatchback SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 JNAGY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Focus SE. We took it to the dealer and after multiple tests and replacing the clutch the sound is still present. The Field Service Engineer that saw the car said this is a "normal" noise. Since then our customer service with the regional service manager was closed and no further work is going to be done on the car. Can you keep me posted on if this bearing replacement works?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAGY View Post
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Focus SE. We took it to the dealer and after multiple tests and replacing the clutch the sound is still present. The Field Service Engineer that saw the car said this is a "normal" noise. Since then our customer service with the regional service manager was closed and no further work is going to be done on the car. Can you keep me posted on if this bearing replacement works?Thank you
Hello again JNAGY,

I responded to your post on a previous thread. Figured I'll reply here as well.

As I stated, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as you personal and dealer contact info and I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manger.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
mattymings
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94765
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 mattymings Good Standing Member
Rattle

I am having the exact same problem. I got my 2012 Focus a week ago and it's been in the dealer for a majority of the time. When I accelerate from a dead stop it makes that weird rattle noise. I have had to take it in twice since the dealer claims they can't hear it or isolate the noise. I'm getting very frustrated since this is a brand new car and it's already having problems, and no one at the dealer thinks there is anything wrong with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision. All of the twin clutch designs have their issues. Around 75K+ vehicles have been recalled since the 2008 model year due to the issues with the VW DSG and while it seems they've been able to work out most of the bugs in recent years, there are still issues.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't looking to spend more on oil changes and an extra $400 every 30K mi. just to have the VW 6-speed wet clutch system serviced and (although my finances would have certainly permitted it) I didn’t want to fork over another $6K for the smaller GTI or similar. While a GTI would have had a little more low-end torque I don’t think that my Focus is necessarily any less fun to drive and based on the mpg I’m getting so far, I’ll most certainly have to stop at a gas pump less often with my Ford. What I would like to see perhaps is a little better warranty coverage on the Ford’s DCT if it is indeed prone to trashing throwout bearings.

All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.

Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?

Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.

Last edited by Tarzanalog; 02-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Deleted - Dupe Post

Last edited by Tarzanalog; 02-15-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymings View Post
I am having the exact same problem. I got my 2012 Focus a week ago and it's been in the dealer for a majority of the time. When I accelerate from a dead stop it makes that weird rattle noise. I have had to take it in twice since the dealer claims they can't hear it or isolate the noise. I'm getting very frustrated since this is a brand new car and it's already having problems, and no one at the dealer thinks there is anything wrong with it.
Hi mattymings,

Congratulations on the new Focus. Allow me to assist so that this can be the great experience you desire it to be.

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager in your area assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision.....
All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.
Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?
Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.
Hi Tarzanalog,

Good! I'm glad to learn you're reading up the PowerShift. When you have a moment check out Media.Ford.com, you'll find loads of information about Ford's transmission lineup.

The PowerShift operates as two parallel manual transmissions with a dual clutch design managing the shifts between two gearsets. This design allows the performance and fuel efficiency similar to a manual transmission and the shift quality and ease of operation provided by an automatic transmission.

Your first question would need to be answered by the dealer, as they are provided a complete solution to vehicle concerns.

The second question suggests a pre-established answer regardless of the customers concern. I would hope this is not so in the dealership level. As for my fellow partners and I, we conduct extensive research and pull from many different resources to make sure our customers are never given a "stock response." If I or any other rep on this forum has given such an impression, please bring it to my attention.

Keep me posted on the results; I'm truly interested in knowing the outcome.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Noemi

Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

(Well, apparently something I included in my first attempt at a followup post incurred the wrath of the Moderators... so here goes again.)

I got my car back yesterday and it's running better than ever. It's still relearning after the TSB update, but it's currently the quietest 2012 Focus that I've driven so far (out of five... we have them at work, too). It now gets from 1st to 3rd gear in a hurry (which suits me just fine... took FOREVER before the service) and it's also very smooth with upshifts and downshifts throughout the entire range. So I hope (fingers crossed) that that's... that.

In short, they replaced the bad throwout bearing and the clutch assembly as well while they were in there. For the benefit of everyone else, here's exactly how they invoiced the parts:

1 AE8Z*7064*A SNAP RING
1 AE8Z*7064*B SNAP RING
8 *W705448*S441 NUT
1 BV6Z*7A508*A CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE (the throwout bearing)
1 BV6Z*7B546*B CLUTCH ASY (the clutch - it was kinda toasty)
2 XT*11*QDC FLUID - TRANSMISSION

Feel free to ask me questions.

Tarzanalog

P.S. Thanks to Noemi (on this forum), Rick (Ford's regional customer service manager that called me), and most of all to Ken Reimers and Bill Smith at Lindquist Ford for taking the time to go the extra mile to make this right.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
(Well, apparently something I included in my first attempt at a followup post incurred the wrath of the Moderators... so here goes again.)
I got my car back yesterday and it's running better than ever. It's still relearning after the TSB update, but it's currently the quietest 2012 Focus that I've driven so far (out of five... we have them at work, too). ........
Feel free to ask me questions.
P.S. Thanks to Noemi (on this forum), Rick (Ford's regional customer service manager that called me), and most of all to Ken Reimers and Bill Smith at Lindquist Ford for taking the time to go the extra mile to make this right.
Hi Tarzanalog,

Excellent to hear! I will relay the message to my fellow partners, Rick, Ken and Bill.

Take care and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Noemi

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Noemi (or anyone),

Mostly just a Q: about the adaptive transmission, but since the flash to bring it up to date (and my transmission service)... my Focus started out shifting in the lower gears at lower RPMs (which I prefer) but has gradually adjusted to shifting at around 3,000 RPMs. Perhaps I could understand this if I were a street racer, but I'm not... I'm 40 and I bought the car for the gas mileage and have to think that it'd be getting better MPGs if it would consistently shift at lower RPMs, no? Even using the Select Shift it is reluctant to shift below 2,000 RPMs. Is this normal? Is there a setting that my dealer can toggle in the software to get it to maximize shifting for MPGs?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90033
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tiburon Good Standing Member
Thanks for everyone's posts. I surely didn't mean to abandon the post. Since my original post, Ford found that my transmission fluid was full of metal (bad news). So, they replaced the entire transmission. Well, I've been driving it for a couple of days and it sounds just like it did when I bought it. That is slightly better than the grinding evidenced in my video which was after I had driven it for about 6 months, but I think I'm back at square one. It has to be something in the way the computer is controlling the transmission. I fear it's just going to get worse again. I will be issuing a written notice offering a final attempt to repair under the Georgia Lemon Law. We'll see what happens.

This really sucks, because apart from the noise, which is causing damage to the transmission, I really like the car and love the fuel economy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks