Key Fob Programming How-To - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Key Fob Programming How-To

I found this on another site. It's use full if you have to get a new Key Fob or change the battery in your current one.

Radio Frequency Programming Instructions:

1. Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds. The car makes a noise that is the same noise i get when i open the door and leave the lights on.

2. Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds. A red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this if you have an LED. I don't have an LED so i just guessed it was in learn mode.

3. During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED. No indication is given if you don't have the LED.

4. Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON. I just put the key in the ignition and started the car.

HEY PRESTO ALL WORKS FINE NOW!!!

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
this should be stickied
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That procedure is in the Focus Owner's Manual... or at least it is in my 2005 Owner's Manual.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
its a great how-to. but i have never urged the stickyness of something that can be found in the owners manual.
some focus owners dont have manuals....we have links here where you can download a manual.

im sure witchcitySVT had to do this himself, and thought about us when he did it. but yes, this procedure IS found in our manuals.

Should we sticky and list these how-to's in the our How-To thread even if the topic is explained identically in our manual?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
valflyinf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92014
What I Drive: 2000 focus zts

FF Reputation: 3 valflyinf Good Standing Member
I just spent 10 minutes at my car to do this procedure. I was under the impression that you could do this to two fobs for one car, am I right? I was only successful with programming either one or the other but not both. I even tried to press a button on both fobs at the same time but still, only one ever gets programmed.
Any insight?

I forgot to mention the obvious, I ordered 2 fobs, which I received in the mail today.

I was going to keep one at home in case I lock myself out of the car, and one main one hooked to the ignition key ring, for everyday use.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
svtmichael
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101509
What I Drive: 2002 infra-red focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 svtmichael Good Standing Member
I'm having a problem with reprogramming one for another car. I took of my moms but now it's just programmed to both cars

FF
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valflyinf View Post
I just spent 10 minutes at my car to do this procedure. I was under the impression that you could do this to two fobs for one car, am I right? I was only successful with programming either one or the other but not both. I even tried to press a button on both fobs at the same time but still, only one ever gets programmed.
Any insight?

I forgot to mention the obvious, I ordered 2 fobs, which I received in the mail today.

I was going to keep one at home in case I lock myself out of the car, and one main one hooked to the ignition key ring, for everyday use.
I had the same problem, similar at least.
I order two off ebay, one took the programming every time, the other would not.
It didn't matter which I tried to program first, the same one wouldn't ever work. I assume I got a dud fob, but now I am almost second guessing that.

From what I read, you should be able to do four fobs at one time.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Does this work for 2000-04?

And I have a fob for my 03, and 00 focus, but I also have two extra's brand new. So if I do this procedure with one of the new fobs on my 03, will it make my old fob useless even though it still works?
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
SD_ZTW
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91209
What I Drive: 2003 White ZTW, D23 PZEV, ATX

FF Reputation: 2 SD_ZTW Good Standing Member
The procedure is a little different for 2000-2006 vs. 2007-2011.

Sit in car, doors closed:

2000-2006

1. Turn the ignition from "Off" to "Run" four times in six seconds. Key stops in "Run" position on fourth cycle.

2. Turn the ignition to "Off." The car will chime to confirm that you've done everything correctly so far. Key is still in ignition

3. Press any key on the first remote you're programming. Perform this within 20 seconds of Step 2. The car will chime to confirm programming.

4. Repeat Step 3 with each additional remote*, all within the 20 seconds. Remove key from ignition.

*The remotes should be inside the vehicle during the procedure (eg. all on front seat.)

2007-2011

1. Turn the ignition from "Off" to "Run" eight times in ten seconds. Key stays in "Run" position on eighth cycle. The locks will cycle to confirm that you've entered programming mode.

2. Press any key on the first remote you're programming. Perform this within 20 seconds of Step 1. The door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

3. Repeat Step 2 with each additional remote, within 20 seconds of the prior programming. The locks will cycle after each successful programming.

4. Turn the key to the "Off" position to exit the programming mode. Remove key from ignition.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Really cool info guys, I'll try this tomorrow with both my focus's, since I have two spares for each, but have not got them programmed yet.

I also have two other spares laying around from a 2001 Ford Tourus, they are brand new, and if I can reprogram them, and they work on focus's, I might have them up for sale.

$60 a piece sound good for focus fobs?

I think there like $75 new?
HN #17
D23 crew-#1

Bookmarks & Social Networks