DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 48 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #471
TDiGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93343
What I Drive: 2012, Candy Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TDiGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If your service advisor is giving you a hard time about doing the update ask to speak to his supervisor or find a different dealership. This is an easy inexpensive software update and there is no reason it should be denied.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.466010,-81.392883
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #472
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
It's nice to know that the update at least does something... because right now, unless I press hard of the gas when accelerating, the tranny seems to fly through the first 3 years really quick (like hit 3rd gear by the time I hit 20-25 MPH. I would think that the car would stay in gears a bit longer than mine has been doing (it's like it will be in 6th when I hit about 40 MPH, which I don't think should be the case...

(I haven't gotten any trans updates since I got my car 6 months ago, so hopefully any of the fixes mentioned above will help my concern. I'm waiting for my dealer to get me an appointment that works around my schedule... I'll update after I get the updates done..)
mine hits 6th gear at 35MPH with very light throttle!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #473
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Same here. I took it to the dealer today, we set up an appointment for first-thing Wednesday morning.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #474
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfury View Post
I just read about the new fix. My car really scared the out of me the other day.

When entering the lot to work, a car pulled out in front of me from a side parking lot. I got off the gas and on the brakes, then on the gas again to avoid them. I was greeted by a high rev and no forward motion. Slid it into "D" to recover.

And last night:

When in Sport mode, I rounded a median during a turn, and the engine revved hard when I slowed to complete the turn. And I was going nowhere in a hurry. Had anyone been behind me at the time, my car would now be in the shop with severe rear-end damage.

Either something else is going on or this new TSB will fix it.

It will automatically downshift in sport mode.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
Old 01-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #475
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Same here. I took it to the dealer today, we set up an appointment for first-thing Wednesday morning.
I thought you have the TSB update. Are there any other issues with the update besides the 35MPH 6th gear?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #476
Silver 2012 Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93854
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Silver 2012 Focus Good Standing Member
A few days with TSB 12-01-04

After a few days, I have definitely noticed that third gear is held much longer than it used to be - now the shift doesn't occur until north of 3000 rpm. First and second are held a little higher in the rpms than they were before as well. When coming to a stop, the revs hover between 1000 and 1250 and then drop to around 700 when at idle. Single and double downshifts with the foot to the floor are more responsive and less lazy than they were before. One other thing I noticed is that in reverse the car will now creep along and it didn't do that before.

Overall, the TSB is a definite improvement.

As for getting it in the first place, that was a bit of a battle. I arranged for the appointment on Friday describing the issues I saw (jerky acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, rpm flare when slowing to a stop, uneven idle, reluctance to downshift). When I got to the dealer and presented the TSB I knew about and had printed (11-10-2), I was told by one of the service goofs that he or I could not tell the tech what to do or which TSB to apply, the tech would have to experience the issue with a test drive. I had the NY Times and Motor Trend articles handy that talked about the TSB and the issues that the Powershift transmission was having for cars built before August but still "the tech has to experience the problem". I guess the tech experienced the problem - the TSB 12-01-04 took about 90 minutes to apply, 25 minutes for the driving procedure to be completed and then another 15 minutes for someone to come and get me after the car was parked outside the service door.

In my opinion, everyone who has a car with the Powershift transmission built before August should get the TSB applied. I no longer am afraid to turn left when there are oncoming vehicles approaching. That alone is worth the 2+ hours and hassle.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #477
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
After a few days, I have definitely noticed that third gear is held much longer than it used to be - now the shift doesn't occur until north of 3000 rpm. First and second are held a little higher in the rpms than they were before as well. When coming to a stop, the revs hover between 1000 and 1250 and then drop to around 700 when at idle. Single and double downshifts with the foot to the floor are more responsive and less lazy than they were before. One other thing I noticed is that in reverse the car will now creep along and it didn't do that before.

Overall, the TSB is a definite improvement.

As for getting it in the first place, that was a bit of a battle. I arranged for the appointment on Friday describing the issues I saw (jerky acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, rpm flare when slowing to a stop, uneven idle, reluctance to downshift). When I got to the dealer and presented the TSB I knew about and had printed (11-10-2), I was told by one of the service goofs that he or I could not tell the tech what to do or which TSB to apply, the tech would have to experience the issue with a test drive. I had the NY Times and Motor Trend articles handy that talked about the TSB and the issues that the Powershift transmission was having for cars built before August but still "the tech has to experience the problem". I guess the tech experienced the problem - the TSB 12-01-04 took about 90 minutes to apply, 25 minutes for the driving procedure to be completed and then another 15 minutes for someone to come and get me after the car was parked outside the service door.

In my opinion, everyone who has a car with the Powershift transmission built before August should get the TSB applied. I no longer am afraid to turn left when there are oncoming vehicles approaching. That alone is worth the 2+ hours and hassle.
Fantastic! I deal with a specific tech. He took my word for it and did not drive the car until after the TSB was applied.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #478
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,768, Level 38
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
That is normal.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #479
kbass24emtp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87665
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

Points 73, Level 1
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kbass24emtp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Is there anything "special" you have to do to get dealers to do these updates?? I already asked one and they had mentioned something ab out a list of criteria being met, one being that it had to be like 60 degrees outside (at least) to recreate the problem...
Mine I don't think matters what temperature it's at. It does funky things at different temperatures at speeds. (like I've noticed in the cold, when inching forward, there is sort of a knocking sound from the trans, but this doesn't always happen. but it happens more often than not...) And the car seems to shutter/vibrate/shake a bit when it does this--like it's about to stall or something.
All I said to my dealer was that the car was shifting weird in the lower gears, like shifting too fast. It was cold out and we got the new update 12-1-4. It definitely shifts different in the 1-3 gears. Holds them longer.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #480
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
The clown I talked to at my dealer was super reluctant to even check for a TSB. You could tell he was one of those "I hate my life so I'm gonna make every SOB I meet pay for it" guys. Almost blatantly told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that "I see a thousand cars in here so I'm gonna have to see a problem before I do anything". I described my issues and said I had researched the problem and saw that Ford issued a TSB. Wasn't pushy at all, totally polite.

Thanx dick.

So anymore advice on how to get these guys to cooperate is much obliged.

Bookmarks & Social Networks