SYNC System Thread - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #61
MisterH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89103
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 2 MisterH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
Now after 2.5 months of using Sync with the same ipod continuously plugged in for most of that time, Sync has started the perpetual indexing problem. Turning the stereo off, turning car off etc no cure. At first it was even telling me "index full some songs may not be available" as soon as I started the car (2 days ago) but it won't play anything. Today I tried connecting my iPhone by USB (it has music and I've played music via Sync on it before successfully) and it still said indexing... plugged the iPod back in and same thing.

It does know that the device was unplugged or new one plugged in, this seems to be a memory leak or other Sync OS problem.

Is there any cure other than pulling the fuzes?
Which fuses? I'm having the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #62
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Well I fixed the problem without pulling fuses.

1. unplug ipod
2. switch ipod manually to music
3. manually start playing a playlist via the ipod's interface
4. plug back in to the USB port while ipod was playing
5. switch back to USB from line in default when ipod was unplugged

result: sync started playing the playlist I had selected and stopped complaining about indexing.

However later it said "building voice commands" and wouldn't let me use voice commands.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #63
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
What type of iPod and what firmware level do you have?

Have you read the notes for your device located in the little blue box? http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/do...d-493139bf3002

Most devices have extensive notes that discuss the limitations of that specific device and firmware level and, for example, what may happen if your device has a duplicate playlist on it.

The iPod Touch 2nd Gen at version 2.1.1 has the following notes listed:

In order to upgrade your iPod Touch to this firmware level, the latest version of iTunes is required.

In order to ensure that all digital media on your iPod is indexed, Album, Artist, Genre and Song metadata must be properly populated in iTunes and synchronized with the player before connecting the iPod to Sync. If you need assistance on updating your metadata, please view: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/15347.html.

Playlists

When a Now Playing playlist is active on your iPod before connecting it to Sync, Sync will resume playing the Now Playing playlist on the iPod from where it left off and will begin to index the device in the background.

Sync will display AUTOPLAY UNAVAILABLE if there is no active Now Playing playlist on the iPod when it is connected to Sync.

When turning your vehicle on and off, the Now Playing playlist on your iPod Touch plays by default and may not match the last playlist you selected using Sync.

When attempting to play a playlist on the iPod, the Sync screen may display BAD MEDIA. This may mean that the music that the playlist contains is not compatible with Sync (this may be due to copy protection) or that the playlist is empty. If you are able to play the media that is contained in the playlist by playing it through another method, such as disconnecting the iPod from Sync and successfully playing the music through the headphones, re-connect the device to Sync and attempt to play the media again. If media playback does not resume, you will need to perform a Master Reset of Sync and reconnect the device to Sync. Once you have performed a Master Reset, the information can be retrieved after you reconnect your iPod to Sync.

NOTE: Performing a Master Reset will completely erase all media files and phonebook and text messaging information, and the information will not be able to be retrieved. Any customization will not be saved and the Sync unit will return to the factory default settings. For complete instructions on performing a Master Reset, view page 34 of the glovebox manual at: http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea.../08sycsu1e.pdf.

When connecting your iPod to Sync or resuming play after you turn the vehicle back on, your iPod may not communicate properly with Sync. Resetting the iPod and making sure it is fully charged may allow the player to reconnect.

When playing the last song in a playlist or last chapter of an audio book in a playlist, pressing the radio SEEK RIGHT button will not take you back to the beginning of the playlist.

You may not be able to find and play your On-The-Go playlist using Sync with this iPod version.

When attempting to play an empty playlist on your iPod (such as On-The-Go,) Sync will display BAD MEDIA. You may then make another selection.
When playing albums with multiple artists, Sync may not play the tracks in numerical order.

If you are playing a song and select the same song for playback by using the voice commands or radio controls, the song may not start over. Pushing the SEEK LEFT button once may take you back to the beginning of the track, but you may have to press the SEEK LEFT button a few times quickly, or make another selection.

There are times when the track counter on the display may freeze, yet audio may still continue to play. If the track timer does not recover after twenty seconds of playback, wait until the next song is queued for playback or select another playback option such as pressing the SEEK RIGHT or SEEK LEFT buttons.

When using voice commands with this device, you may hear: "Speech control not available with this device." If this happens, there may be a duplicate playlist on your device. To correct this, remove the duplicate playlist using iTunes, resynchronize iTunes with your device, and reconnect the device to Sync.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #64
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Notes For iPod 4th Gen with Color Display 1.2.1

This device is supported only by using a Keyspan USB/AUX cable. Please see the FAQ for older iPods or visit http://www.synccable.net.

In order to ensure that all digital media on your iPod is indexed, Album, Artist, Genre, and Song metadata must be properly populated in iTunes and synchronized with your iPod before connecting the iPod to Sync.

When a Now Playing playlist is active on the iPod before connecting it to Sync, Sync will begin to play the Now Playing playlist on the iPod from where it left off and will begin to index the device in the background. Sync will display AUTOPLAY UNAVAILABLE if there is no active Now Playing playlist on the iPod when it is connected to Sync.

When turning off your vehicle, it is possible that the Now Playing playlist on your iPod does not match the last playlist that you selected using Sync (for example, the Rock genre). When turning the vehicle back on, the Now Playing playlist on your iPod will be played, not the previously playing playlist selected using Sync.

When playing a particular genre or artist before turning off your vehicle, the iPod may not resume playing the entire genre or artist when you turn your vehicle back on. The Now Playing playlist on the iPod is played by default the next time you turn on the vehicle.

When attempting to play a playlist on this iPod, Sync may display BAD MEDIA. This may mean that the media that the playlist contains is not compatible with Sync or that the playlist is empty. If you are able to play the media that is contained in the playlist by playing it through another method, such as disconnecting the iPod from Sync and successfully playing the music through the headphones, re-connect the device to Sync and attempt to play the media again. If media playback does not resume, you will need to perform a Master Reset of Sync and reconnect the device to Sync. Once you have performed a Master Reset, the information can be retrieved after you reconnect your iPod to Sync. NOTE: Performing a Master Reset will completely erase all media files and phonebook and text messaging information, and the information will not be able to be retrieved. Any customization will not be saved and the Sync unit will return to the factory default settings. For complete instructions on performing a Master Reset, view page 34 of the glovebox manual at: http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea.../08sycsu1e.pdf

When connecting your iPod to Sync or resuming play after your turn the vehicle back on, your iPod may not communicate properly with Sync. Resetting the iPod and making sure it is fully charged may allow the player to reconnect.

When playing the only chapter or last chapter of an audio book in a playlist, pressing the SEEK RIGHT button on the radio will not take you back to the beginning of the playlist.

You must make a new selection using a voice command or the radio controls. When attempting to play an empty playlist on this iPod (such as On-The-Go,) Sync will display BAD MEDIA. You may make another selection.

When playing albums with multiple artists, Sync may not play the tracks in numerical order. Occasionally, synchronizing protected music through iTunes using your iPod may cause the music not to play on the player, as well as on Sync. If this happens, you must resynchronize and/or reformat your iPod to correct this condition.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #65
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Notes for SanDisk Sansa Fuze 01.01.11A

In order to play protected content and playlists, you must select MTP mode on the ScanDisk Fuze before connecting it to Sync. Select MTP mode by selecting Settings> System Settings> USB Mode> MTP.

This media player allows two methods of loading media files: MTP mode and MSC (or Auto Detect) mode.

Media files loaded onto this player in MTP mode cannot be played by Sync unless MTP is selected as the USB option under Settings before connecting the player to Sync.

The GoList playlist cannot be played when using this player with Sync.

You may need to wait several seconds for songs to begin playback when using this media player with Sync.

The Sync screen may display: Protected Content if:
1. Protected content licenses have expired, or
2.The device begins to miscommunicate with Sync.

To correct this condition, ensure that you select Settings> System Settings> USB Mode> MTP on the media player and ensure that the protected content licenses are renewed through the online music store. Then reconnect the device to Sync.

When starting your vehicle, the Sync screen may display: USB Removed, and the source may revert to: Line In. Reselect USB as the source on the Sync screen to resume playback.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #66
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Fez View Post
Since I added music to my iPod and reconnected to Sync using the USB, I can't use any voice commands when playing music - I receive the reply "indexing". This has been happening for a week now so I've re-synced my iPod to my iTunes library tonight in the hope that this will correct the indexing problem with Sync.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks

From SyncMyRide

"3.The index stored on SYNC may not match the media on your iPod. If you deleted and added one song from your iPod since the last time you connected it to SYNC, SYNC reads the same number of songs and does not index the media. Add or remove a song to or from your iPod using iTunes and then reconnect it. SYNC will then re-index the media."

"All digital media on your iPod must be properly populated in iTunes before playing it on SYNC. When downloading media, de-select the Part of a Compilation (no check) checkbox in iTunes. After making these updates, synchronize the iPod with iTunes before reconnecting it to SYNC."

"5. It is possible that there are errors in the media information stored on your media player. SYNC My iTunes is a software program that allows all of your music to be indexed by SYNC. View also: Why do I need SYNC My iTunes?"

"When using voice commands with your iPod, you may hear: “Speech control not available with this device.” If so, there may be a duplicate playlist on your iPod. To correct this, remove the duplicate using iTunes, resynchronize iTunes with your iPod, and reconnect it to SYNC."

"If media playback does not resume after the above steps, you may need to perform a Master Reset* of SYNC. Once you have performed a Master Reset, the information can be retrieved when you reconnect your iPod to SYNC."
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #67
kilcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85597
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch (red)

FF Reputation: 1 kilcher Good Standing Member
I bought my 2012 Focus last May, when I log in to syncmyride it shows no updates. I only have the Sync system, not MFT. Is that right, no updates in almost a year?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #68
MisterH
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
From SyncMyRide

"3.The index stored on SYNC may not match the media on your iPod. If you deleted and added one song from your iPod since the last time you connected it to SYNC, SYNC reads the same number of songs and does not index the media. Add or remove a song to or from your iPod using iTunes and then reconnect it. SYNC will then re-index the media."

"All digital media on your iPod must be properly populated in iTunes before playing it on SYNC. When downloading media, de-select the Part of a Compilation (no check) checkbox in iTunes. After making these updates, synchronize the iPod with iTunes before reconnecting it to SYNC."

"5. It is possible that there are errors in the media information stored on your media player. SYNC My iTunes is a software program that allows all of your music to be indexed by SYNC. View also: Why do I need SYNC My iTunes?"

"When using voice commands with your iPod, you may hear: “Speech control not available with this device.” If so, there may be a duplicate playlist on your iPod. To correct this, remove the duplicate using iTunes, resynchronize iTunes with your iPod, and reconnect it to SYNC."

"If media playback does not resume after the above steps, you may need to perform a Master Reset* of SYNC. Once you have performed a Master Reset, the information can be retrieved when you reconnect your iPod to SYNC."
How does one do a master reset?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #69
MisterH
Focus Enthusiast

Fixed my Sync today. The fuse pull worked like a charm.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #70
TypicalCatLady
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94456
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 TypicalCatLady Good Standing Member
I'm having issues with my iPhone 4S playing music through the USB. First off, when I try to play my music, the AUX button always has the source to Line In. Is there anyway to set it to default to USB instead? I keep having to go through nearly 5 different menus (which I swear are different every time.) to get it to USB. I know I can just do a voice command to USB, but if I decide to change to the radio and then hit aux again without going through the menus, I have to do a voice command every time. Just seems like a hassle to me.

Second, I always plug my phone in before turning on the car. When I try to play the music through the USB, it says it's playing, but no sound can be heard unless I unplug my phone, plug it back in, then get it back to USB mode playing.

Third, I've never had it say anything about indexing my music. I don't know why. Would that basically save my music onto SYNC so I could play it without having to go through the menus and everything with my phone?

Fourth, I received a text on my phone while driving. When I asked SYNC to read it to me, I was told that my phone was not compatible with text messages. Anyone else have this issue with iPhones?
I apologize if any of these issues have already been discussed and I missed it. Are any of these items fixable or do I just have to adjust my habits?

Last edited by TypicalCatLady; 02-01-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks