2012 Focus SE Hatchback Sport - Changing stock speakers - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Mypd1991
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92634
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Mypd1991 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All the speakers in the base and 6 speaker setup are 6 1/2, even the back door speakers, ive all ready replaced all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
What made you choose these speakers? I ask because I am looking at speakers on Crutchfield and they show these speakers don't fit...I know you made them work but I wonder if you would have chosen speakers that fit if the install would have been easier?

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...brank3%5d3-way
Be careful with what Crutchfield recommends. They sometimes recommend a 5.25" with an adapter ring because of the problems the OP had with the 6.5".

OP... why not just cut a new mounting ring? Would have saved you tons of time. Most custom shops even have pre-cut rings they will sell you for a few bucks.

just my 2 cents from spending lots of time behind car door panels.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
pastoriusk2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89909
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pastoriusk2 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the great write-up and pics! It inspired me to swap out the crappy speakers in my Focus. I got some Focal 165 CA1's to stick in there. The flange of these speakers were just a little too big to sit perfectly within the flange of the stock speaker plastic, but they sat on the outer lip perfectly. Instead of tearing out the outer foam, I used an xacto blade to cut just outside of the speakers surround, leaving the outer foam in place to get a better seal. Also, instead of melting the plastic supports, I used some big wire cutters (snips would work too) and they just snapped right off the outer ring too. Anyway it was really easy with your guide! Here's a pic of an installed speaker:

The sound is much improved. Before I had to use some excessive EQ just to get it to sound right, but now I have the EQ flat and it sounds even better! Now all it needs is a good headunit, good amp, and a tight sub for it to be a great sounding system!
Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Jdog913

Fan#: 84424
What I Drive: .

FF Reputation: 3 Jdog913 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastoriusk2 View Post
Thanks for the great write-up and pics! It inspired me to swap out the crappy speakers in my Focus. I got some Focal 165 CA1's to stick in there. The flange of these speakers were just a little too big to sit perfectly within the flange of the stock speaker plastic, but they sat on the outer lip perfectly. Instead of tearing out the outer foam, I used an xacto blade to cut just outside of the speakers surround, leaving the outer foam in place to get a better seal. Also, instead of melting the plastic supports, I used some big wire cutters (snips would work too) and they just snapped right off the outer ring too. Anyway it was really easy with your guide! Here's a pic of an installed speaker:

The sound is much improved. Before I had to use some excessive EQ just to get it to sound right, but now I have the EQ flat and it sounds even better! Now all it needs is a good headunit, good amp, and a tight sub for it to be a great sounding system!
Thanks again!
I am afraid to as how much you spent on focal speakers. I saw them at a local store, the employee said these were base model ones priced at $550. However I not sure if it was gouging but the place is usually more reasonable than anywhere else.

On another note this thread pretty much saved my life! Thanks leguar!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
pastoriusk2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89909
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pastoriusk2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog913 View Post
I am afraid to as how much you spent on focal speakers. I saw them at a local store, the employee said these were base model ones priced at $550. However I not sure if it was gouging but the place is usually more reasonable than anywhere else.

On another note this thread pretty much saved my life! Thanks leguar!
Wow $550 for the base model? That is super overpriced. I paid $150 in store for the pair at Car Toys. This is the model http://www.cartoys.com/products/prod...2_Way_Speakers
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Jdog913

Fan#: 84424
What I Drive: .

FF Reputation: 3 Jdog913 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastoriusk2 View Post
Wow $550 for the base model? That is super overpriced. I paid $150 in store for the pair at Car Toys. This is the model http://www.cartoys.com/products/prod...2_Way_Speakers
Those were probably top shelf then. One of the reasons I don't trust salesman. The salesman that I dealt with for my focus was a completely incompetent when it came to cars but he was a nice caring guy. Guess you have to see through the bull sometimes.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
WhiteT5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93993
What I Drive: '04 Saab 9-5 Aero

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteT5 Good Standing Member
Anyone think these speaker brackets might work? The holes all look like they are in the right place.... two up top and one down below.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
gtp2focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63959
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport

FF Reputation: 2 gtp2focus Good Standing Member
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but is there anyway to install aftermarket speakers WITHOUT trashing the old ones?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #19
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes, I did not trash mine, just cut the stock speaker wires.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
I am glad to report that I used the thread to change all four stock speakers from my focus. The first speaker took the longest to change (since I was being extra precautions), but after that the other three were replaced with ease. Thank you for the useful thread!

Bookmarks & Social Networks