Which car manufacturer do you hate most? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which manufacturer do you dislike the most?
Honda 31 19.02%
Chevrolet 34 20.86%
Dodge 16 9.82%
Hyundai 9 5.52%
Chrysler 31 19.02%
Toyota 42 25.77%
Mazda 0 0%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #31
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 33,955, Level 100
Points: 33,955, Level: 100 Points: 33,955, Level: 100 Points: 33,955, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)

I would have taken a crap on the hood if I knew it would have gotten the last word in. I'm not basing my whole response on just this car and the fact that it was on it's third motor, 3 water pumps, 2 head gaskets, 4 starters, 5 alternators, 2 CPUs, 2 passkeys, 3 drivers door latches, 2 brake lines, 2 ABS senors and numerous wires replaced so many I had to carry extra wire, electrical tape, and cutters with me at all times.

But I'm basing it on all the other GM products I've worked on and reworked on and then reworked on again as a personal mechanic for three years. Cheaply made, waste of time and waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #32
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'll concede that the purest, 'American-only' General Motors products have been so-so since the 1970s. The Cavalier has a long history of being a total POS. Don't take it too personally but I've often wondered why anyone bought a Cavalier? Price had to be the only reason, because everyone knew the car was crap. Or did Chevy really manage for 23 years to sell Cavaliers to people who hadn't heard about it being a POS?

I once had one of the last year Cavaliers (2004/2005?) as a rental. I was appalled at the ridiculous interior dimensions that were a remnant of the original Cavalier of the 1980's... the car felt cramped in a way that I hadn't felt since my dad had Buick Skyhawks as company cars in the 1980s. And the interior pretty much said "look, we know this car is about to go out of production, so don't expect us to go out of our way to make it nice or even place controls in logical places."

But the newer product that is based off GM vehicles from other GM-owned companies is better. So far the only major problem I've had with the GTO is a leaky radiator.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #33
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,955, Level 100
Points: 33,955, Level: 100 Points: 33,955, Level: 100 Points: 33,955, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
I'll concede that the purest, 'American-only' General Motors products have been so-so since the 1970s. The Cavalier has a long history of being a total POS. Don't take it too personally but I've often wondered why anyone bought a Cavalier? Price had to be the only reason, because everyone knew the car was crap. Or did Chevy really manage for 23 years to sell Cavaliers to people who hadn't heard about it being a POS?

I once had one of the last year Cavaliers (2004/2005?) as a rental. I was appalled at the ridiculous interior dimensions that were a remnant of the original Cavalier of the 1980's... the car felt cramped in a way that I hadn't felt since my dad had Buick Skyhawks as company cars in the 1980s. And the interior pretty much said "look, we know this car is about to go out of production, so don't expect us to go out of our way to make it nice or even place controls in logical places."

But the newer product that is based off GM vehicles from other GM-owned companies is better. So far the only major problem I've had with the GTO is a leaky radiator.
None taken, it was my wifes car she had it when I meet her. After 6 years we traded it for the focus. We had the focus now for just over two years we've put 40,000 miles on it in the mean time and besides a O2 sensor, and a battery she's been good. Knock on wood. She even said "she wish she would have met me before she bought that car and saved her the trouble".
Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #34
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Toyota = beige... and hybrids make me angry (yes, I'm aware that Ford produces hybrids, but they also make fun to drive cars like the Focus and Mustang)
Posted via FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #35
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,349, Level 35
Points: 3,349, Level: 35 Points: 3,349, Level: 35 Points: 3,349, Level: 35
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
I will also add Volvo....I hate them for being the car of choice in Twilight. Vampires don't need a safe car, they are already dead. But, I guess a vampire is over 1000 years old, which is how many years it would take before I ever owned one.
As I recall, that was Stephanie Meyer's decision in the book. And they'd be silly to not take the exposure from such a huge movie.

Twilight aside, the C30 is still awesome. As for this thread?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #36
Montag
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 539, Level 10
Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10 Points: 539, Level: 10
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
I reckon most automotive enthusiasts have strong opinions regarding certain models, brands, classes, or countries of origin. Very few people hold strong positive opinions about anything without a corresponding negative opinion about something else. It's human nature. So don't try to rise above it. That's not what this discussion is about. Embrace your automotive dark side.

First and foremost, I hate Chrysler. They started making crap in the late 70's/early 80's, just like Ford and Chevy, but they never really improved. They did improve their styling and marketing in a stupid yet effective way. Giant grilles, angry headlights, big-rig fenders... I'm sure I would have loved their mid 90-present styling when I was ten years old. They even started making some pretty powerful vehicles. But regardless of engine size, almost every modern Chrysler has been a cheaply built piece of junk. The only generally reliable vehicles they have made in the last twenty years have been PT Cruisers and minivans. Yet another reason I hate them.

Honda- never owned one. It amuses me that former fanboys hate modern Hondas. Maybe there's a good reason, I don't know.

Chevrolet- I have a love/hate relationship with GM. My two best cars have been Oldsmobiles. In my opinion, GM has made very good vehicles since the early 90's. But they often fail in their execution. Those good vehicles often have a fatal flaw, like defective intake gaskets or piston slap or transfer cases that lose all their oil. You've got to do your homework if you're going to buy a GM, so you can avoid or fix its problems. If you do it right, you'll get a good car for cheap.

Hyndai/Kia- I drove a few when I was in Korea, and they were reliable but obviously very cheap. Modern ones might be OK, but I think I'll wait another ten years to be sure they have caught up.

Mazda- Might be OK, but gawd they're ugly.

Toyota- I drive two diesel Hiluxes regularly, and I used to drive a Hiace van. They're reliable and durable. I don't care if they're boring.

Ford- I'm glad to see they have emerged from their dark ages. They really made some garbage between about 1995 and 2005. A modern Ford just might be a decent vehicle.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #37
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,716, Level 71
Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Voted Toyota, their internal workings disgust me to no end. This has zero to do with the product, only with the corporation itself. They are the modern day of the world.
I will give the company credit though for the ability to appear to be a clean and shiny operation, as that takes alot of skill. They use their closed Japanese society to their benefit
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #38
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,955, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
I reckon most automotive enthusiasts have strong opinions regarding certain models, brands, classes, or countries of origin. Very few people hold strong positive opinions about anything without a corresponding negative opinion about something else. It's human nature. So don't try to rise above it. That's not what this discussion is about. Embrace your automotive dark side.

First and foremost, I hate Chrysler. They started making crap in the late 70's/early 80's, just like Ford and Chevy, but they never really improved. They did improve their styling and marketing in a stupid yet effective way. Giant grilles, angry headlights, big-rig fenders... I'm sure I would have loved their mid 90-present styling when I was ten years old. They even started making some pretty powerful vehicles. But regardless of engine size, almost every modern Chrysler has been a cheaply built piece of junk. The only generally reliable vehicles they have made in the last twenty years have been PT Cruisers and minivans. Yet another reason I hate them.

Honda- never owned one. It amuses me that former fanboys hate modern Hondas. Maybe there's a good reason, I don't know.

Chevrolet- I have a love/hate relationship with GM. My two best cars have been Oldsmobiles. In my opinion, GM has made very good vehicles since the early 90's. But they often fail in their execution. Those good vehicles often have a fatal flaw, like defective intake gaskets or piston slap or transfer cases that lose all their oil. You've got to do your homework if you're going to buy a GM, so you can avoid or fix its problems. If you do it right, you'll get a good car for cheap.

Hyndai/Kia- I drove a few when I was in Korea, and they were reliable but obviously very cheap. Modern ones might be OK, but I think I'll wait another ten years to be sure they have caught up.

Mazda- Might be OK, but gawd they're ugly.

Toyota- I drive two diesel Hiluxes regularly, and I used to drive a Hiace van. They're reliable and durable. I don't care if they're boring.

Ford- I'm glad to see they have emerged from their dark ages. They really made some garbage between about 1995 and 2005. A modern Ford just might be a decent vehicle.
Well written. ^^

I don't think Honda gets the credit they deserve. People make fun of the Vtec system but it s pretty cool system if you've ever read into it. Just about all of the top car companies have their own version of it now. If you take care of a Honda it will last for ever literally. The engines might be small but they make up for it in the corners. When pitted against Nissan in a no hold barred track race company Vs. company Honda won.

In a nut shell.

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #39
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,592, Level 30
Points: 2,592, Level: 30 Points: 2,592, Level: 30 Points: 2,592, Level: 30
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post

I must have gotten the only good running cavi chevy made!! Before I bought my focus last year, I owned a 1999 cavi,it was a decent car. i would have never picked a cavi for a car,but a lady friend of mine had it and wanted to sell it dirt cheap,so I couldn't pass it up. I got the car with 90,000 miles,drove it for 4 years,sold it for more then I bought it for with 150,000 miles,didn't have any trouble at all!! That car is still being drove around today. All I ever did to it was oil changes and brake work.

as far as this poll goes,I don't HATE any manufacturer,I just prefer ford.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #40
volcomstone1966
RIP 02 SVT 0209

Fan#: 35104
What I Drive: 04 PWSC EAP SVT - 04 Kawasaki ZX6R

Points 16,516, Level 82
Points: 16,516, Level: 82 Points: 16,516, Level: 82 Points: 16,516, Level: 82
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 15 volcomstone1966 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Honda with Chevy a close 2nd
04 SVT EAP #1131 -POWERWORKS-Torsen-Clutch Masters-Top Speed-Massive-Brembo-Fifteen52-Steeda-UNDER CONSTRUCTION
2K14 Turbo Veloster
04 Kawasaki ZX6R

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.