Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
NYCZPlan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90535
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 NYCZPlan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The monitoring circuitry worked as it should, as the power steering clearly did fail-the steering wheel was very difficult to turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #42
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCZPlan View Post
The power steering failed once again on Sunday morning, exactly four weeks after the last occurrence. I have scheduled a service appointment.
I'm sorry it occurred again. I will keep a look out for your update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Natasha, if you're here, is that really Ford's stance? The problem has to happen in front of them, even when there is electronic confirmation of the customers claims? I could understand a smaller electrical issue, but steering failure? That just seems grossly negligent of your customers safety.
Hi smizak,

Intermittent issues can be very tough to diagnose, and the codes that were stored may not have pointed to a specific cause. That could be why it needs to be replicated. Be assured though, safety is always kept in mind with all concerns.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #43
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Good thing we don't need a "Code" to fix a flat tire......
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #44
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
Good thing we don't need a "Code" to fix a flat tire......
zing.....
Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
focus_trend
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93426
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Trend

FF Reputation: 1 focus_trend Good Standing Member
I have had exactly the same issue with my brand new Focus in Australia, Intermittent power steering failure which resolved after restarting the car.

Ford Australia couldn't have been more helpful!

Brought the car to the local dealer (who didn't sell me the car!) and and a brand new steering rack ($$$) was installed without the slightest hesitation.

I imagine they were very concerned about the safety aspect and possible liability if it failed at higher speeds. One would think that in a litigious society like the US that Ford would act even quicker to rectify a fault like this?

:)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #46
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus_trend View Post
I have had exactly the same issue with my brand new Focus in Australia, Intermittent power steering failure which resolved after restarting the car.
Ford Australia couldn't have been more helpful!
Brought the car to the local dealer (who didn't sell me the car!) and and a brand new steering rack ($$$) was installed without the slightest hesitation.
I imagine they were very concerned about the safety aspect and possible liability if it failed at higher speeds. One would think that in a litigious society like the US that Ford would act even quicker to rectify a fault like this?
Hey focus_trend,

A PROSPEROUS New Year to you and your mates down under!

Awesome to hear the Focus is repaired and cruising around your beautiful country.

On another note, Ford takes safety very seriously. We are committed to pursuing the most advanced safety materials and systems and strive to solve our Ford Family members concerns.

Noemi

Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #47
andrew24
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93913
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 andrew24 Good Standing Member
Hey Guys, I'm in toronto Canada and having the same problems! It happened within a week of owning the car, and then a month later and then it happened two days in a row over the weekend. The service manager at Freeway Ford in toronto mentioned there was an update they were going to run to the computer that will avoid this from happning but time will tell.

The car has been at the dealership since 9:30 AM and 6 hours later the car is still being looked at.

The issue happened to me also around 10 km/h and shortly after I started the car so I have been lucky to still be in a parking lot or drive way. I really hope the car is fixed today.

Ford Canada is telling the me same answer..."Unless the issue can be duplicated we cannot do any repairs". Extremely frustrating...when is enough, enough? This sounds like a common issue and I'm so disappointed ford hasn't done something about this.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I smell a recall...
I didn't see if you had checked other dealerships or not but if you haven't I suggest you do. Some dealerships go by Ford policies others have their own. Especially when it come to safety issues. The service manager at the dealership I go to would change the steering rack if I told him its fixed the issue for other people. Some dealerships are willing to take the hit on warranty work others aren't.

What the hell happened to good old hydraulic rack and pinion steering? All this new electronic shenanigans on cars is making me not want to buy a new car.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #49
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew24 View Post
Hey Guys, I'm in toronto Canada and having the same problems! It happened within a week of owning the car, and then a month later and then it happened two days in a row over the weekend. The service manager at Freeway Ford in toronto mentioned there was an update they were going to run to the computer that will avoid this from happning but time will tell.
Ford Canada is telling the me same answer..."Unless the issue can be duplicated we cannot do any repairs". Extremely frustrating...when is enough, enough? This sounds like a common issue and I'm so disappointed ford hasn't done something about this.
Hey andrew24,

Send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll see what I can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
I smell a recall...
I didn't see if you had checked other dealerships or not but if you haven't I suggest you do. Some dealerships go by Ford policies others have their own. Especially when it come to safety issues. The service manager at the dealership I go to would change the steering rack if I told him its fixed the issue for other people. Some dealerships are willing to take the hit on warranty work others aren't.
Hey MichaelAnthony,

Ford takes Family members concerns very seriously. This is why we on this forum as well as at the Customer Relationship Center document concerns brought to our attention. If a concern turns into a high trend of documented complaints, Ford and NHTSA will launch an investigation, which may or may not lead to a recall. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify owners by mail.

Your suggestion to take to another dealer is wise and Owner.Ford.com will provide a list of dealers for anyone needing a second opinion.

Have a good evening everyone!

Noemi

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
tlthomas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93487
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tlthomas Good Standing Member
Yesterday my new Focus displayed the same behavior at 314 miles. Personally, I understand not replacing a steering rack in this instance because I don't think that this is the root problem. I also understand the frustration from feeling powerless in getting this problem solved. But these are not the cars of the 70's. They contain some sophisticated software that may contain bugs. Solving these intermittent problem requires 'DATA'. To assist the engineers in finding the root cause they need information.

I don't believe that anyone has experienced this error at high speed, so this is a clue. I suggest that everyone provide some details, regardless of how insignificant it may seem, in order to produce a pattern that will assist in locating the problem.

Here is what I can remember about mine:

Occurred at around 10 mph within 1 minute after staring the car.
Outside temperature was upper 40 degrees and had rained the night before.
Made a hard left out of a parking space 120ft. before error.
It is hard to correctly remember, since it took me by surprise, but I seem to recall not losing the steering until after the error light was displayed. This makes me think that the loss of steering was more of an effect of the error than a cause of the error.

I will try to be more aware if it happens again. I would also like to know if anyone has had this occur are a speed over 25mph.

Bookmarks & Social Networks