Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#188 ·
another sneak peak at the mft upgrade:
The pretty lady in the video says at the end of the interview that the upgrade isn't going to be received for another 2 - 3 months, thats mid march to april...d'oh.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

#190 ·
When I first heard of it being released in the "first quarter" I was hoping for a Jan/Feb release as well, but my guess is it's going to take a little while. Just look at the whiplash from pushing the original MFT too soon. I'm sure they don't want another fiasco like that. They will take their time and I think it's a possibility that it won't even come out for us until about mid year.

#194 ·
I went to NAIAS tonight, and they had a brand new Escape with the updated version of MFT. I must say, I found the system pretty responsive and easy to use.

I think once you guys get this update, it will totally change your opinion of MFT.

I do wish it had a capacitive touch screen, as the resistive screen that seems to be standard for MFT is sometimes less-than-perfect. We're all spoiled by our iPhones and Androids though.

edit: I guess what I'm saying is...I would totally get MFT.

#197 ·
I'm heading to the NAIAS tonight myself - looking forward to playing around with MFT 2.0 as well. If there's anything interesting that I haven't seen on here yet, I'll report back!

#195 ·
The reason for resistive screens in automotive applications is due to users wanting the system to work if they are wearing gloves.

Also, I hope the new update makes people happy, but I'm still very disappointed that there is no official announcement at CES about support for AppLink on the MFT system. That is a major major shortcoming of the MFT platform... you will get better integration with smartphone apps on the lower end Sync system than on the flagship MFT system.

#196 ·
Youtube interview

I was listening to the latest interview (done at the Detroit Autoshow I believe) and this Ford person stated that this latest version of MFT will be a lot better and faster. He then eluded to the fact that this system has two separate processors, one for the system and a second for graphics and then to my complete amazement he admitted that the previous software (the one we all have) doesn't use the graphics processor, that everything is done through the system processor.

Who the heck wrote this stuff and left that piece of the hardware out of the code (and are they still employed)? I'm blown away at that (and also that they'd admit to this mistake).

Joe

#205 ·
Who the heck wrote this stuff and left that piece of the hardware out of the code (and are they still employed)? I'm blown away at that (and also that they'd admit to this mistake).
MFT is way too big to have been written by one person. Not using the graphics hardware was not a "mistake". It was certainly a design choice forced on the developers by time and money, either before they started or before they finished. As with many engineering decisions, the "time to market" schedule and its end dates force lots of compromises in software development. (Even more of them as the date nears and the product isn't on schedule.) Anbody who's worked in software development has been there, done that, or had to clean up or refactor after somebody else who was. You can bet that the coming "performance upgrade" code was in development before the first car with the present code rolled out of a showroom.

#198 ·
I'm having an issue, I have the MFT w/SAT&NAV and bought my car 3 days ago. Brought the car home, and it says Information in the top right corner! I know I bought the GPS, because the USA/CA SD Card from Ford is in the SD Car slot in the center console. I also paid the extra money for the MFT/NAV/SAT package. Is there anything special I need to do on my end or is this a dealership thing they gotta do? Thanks!

#204 ·
The car windows sticker and Vin Number both show up with the MyFord Touch Voice Navigation Package. It just doesn't have it! I hope I dont have to swap cars, I already installed all my aftermarket Speakers/Amp/Sub. lol.
If it says Information than you do not have Voice Nav and you cannot get it aftermarket. So if it's not in the vehicle you have currently then you wont be able to get it. I would agree and tell you to go to your Dealership and get it fixed right away. If you still have the factory speakers just re-install them and take it back like nothing happened.

#206 ·
If it says Information than you do not have Voice Nav and you cannot get it aftermarket. So if it's not in the vehicle you have currently then you wont be able to get it. I would agree and tell you to go to your Dealership and get it fixed right away. If you still have the factory speakers just re-install them and take it back like nothing happened.
Hey, aren't you that guy with the videos on YouTube? The videos are very helpful and very professionally done [thumb]

http://ford-life.com/2011/09/20/introducing-lebanon-fords-mytech-team/

Good blog articles too:

http://ford-life.com/2012/01/13/how-to-keep-your-mobile-device-connected-to-ford-sync/

#200 ·
Probably not a new one, but I'll add this anyway...

In radio display mode (red screen) and listening to FM, use Sync to change to Sirius, all the presets go blank on the MFT screen, but I can use the steering wheel <- / -> to switch thru them normally. Press the Home button (to go to quadrant view) and the six FM presets are shown even though it's clearly playing Sirius (station/track are listed on the bottom-left red corner). Go back to FM and then back to Sirius, all via Sync, nothing changes.

Use the MFT screen to switch to FM and then back to Sirius (via button presses) and everything's normal - Sirius presets show up on screen.

Just another odd quirk/issue...

#213 ·
I've had the new Focus now since mid November, put about 2000kms on it...had no issues with the MFT, other than the usual..slow etc...but today it locked up leaving the display with no movement and no response to any buttons. I was on my way to get gas, so I pulled in and shut the car off...the screen stayed on and locked after I got out and shut the door.I finished pumping the gas , restarted the car and within 20 seconds, the screen changed to a black background and a large MFT message saying it was performing needed maintenance, it had a scroll bar moving along the bottom and it went for perhaps 30 seconds...then it popped back up and carried on playing music like nothing happened. That was a first for me and I havent seen anything like that posted so i thought I'd throw it in here.
Perhaps i should add that it was locked for a total of perhaps 15 minutes before the ''self reboot'' or whatever that could be called.

#214 ·
2 Newb Questions

hi -

picking up my new SEL w/ 301A on thurs and SO stoked. adding mft was a must for me. looking forward to spending some time figuring it out!

i have two questions:

-- is there basic navigation with it, without adding nav to it?
-- if i have two cell phones (don't judge!) will both phone books be added? is there an option to not do that? one of my phones syncs facebook and twitter contacts so i have 1,500++ and i don't want that in my car...

thanks!

#219 ·
hi -

picking up my new SEL w/ 301A on thurs and SO stoked. adding mft was a must for me. looking forward to spending some time figuring it out!

i have two questions:

-- is there basic navigation with it, without adding nav to it?
-- if i have two cell phones (don't judge!) will both phone books be added? is there an option to not do that? one of my phones syncs facebook and twitter contacts so i have 1,500++ and i don't want that in my car...

thanks!
Hi Kat [wave]

You can connect a lot of phones to MFT, but you control which phones you connect. You don't have to connect (or "pair") your second phone if you don;t want to.

If you do add more than one phone, only one phone can be "primary", meaning when you start the car, MFT will look for the primary phone first, if it doesn't find it in the car, it will move to the next phone on the list until it establishes a Bluetooth connection with a known, authorized, paired phone. Only one phone can have a BT connection with MFT at a time.

Just pair the phone you want to use and download the phone's phonebook to MFT. I'd recommend turning off the auto phonebook download feature once you've downloaded your contacts, otherwise it may tie up some of the MFT resources everytime you start your car since it will check your device's phonebook looking for any changes like new contacts or deleted contacts.

Until the MFT performance upgrade comes out, let the system boot up and stabilize after starting the car before playing with too many of the features. I know thats hard to do, (especially when the car is brand new!!!) but MFT will be doing a lot of things when you first start it, like MFT and your phone establishing a Bluetooth link, your phone book downloading and comparing databases, "building media commands" for your music database and other stuff.

All of that is resource intensive and if you throw in communicating with the GPS module, the radio, the climate control, navigation cold starting and then calculating routes, Sirius Link downloading gas prices and movie times and streaming music from SiriusXM, the SYNC lady saying "Please Say A Command" all while your phone is trying to lock onto some stray WiFi connection near by, you can run into stability problems lol. Just take it step by step, not everything at once.

Before you pair your phone, do a power off reset of the phone, and continue to do power off resets of your phone every week or so, which keeps your phone cleaned up [wrenchin] and less likely to freeze up a bluetooth connection.

Enjoy your new ride! [driving]

#220 ·
Also note that setting up two phones, then turning on the car when both of those phones are around creates a flipping nightmare if you want one phone to be connected for calls, and the other to be streaming music.

By the time you actually navigate menus, disconnect/connect devices, manually disable/enable BT on the phones, etc. etc. the MFT slows to a crawl and will more often than not (in my experience) freeze and force a reboot. Blah.

One phone, slow, inefficient, unintuitive. Two phones? All that doubled.

I have high hopes for the MFT update coming to us soon, but I'm not holding my breath for phone/BT/pairing niggles to be worked out beyond it just responding faster, and hopefully not freezing.

Awfully unintuitive and way too much maintenance/menu navigation when working with the phone pairing features.

#221 ·
I'm not sure what is the BT nightmare with two phones. You setup one as the primary (like my Wife's). When we get in the car, her phone always receives the phone calls.

My wife's phone did have a pairing issue initially. It would randomly connect and disconnect. Annoying when in the middle of a phone call. Then Verizon pushed an update on her phone. Now the BT connects flawlessly. Seems problems are not just MFT, but also can be your own phone.

#227 ·
The point is really that trying to get both phones to do something at the same time is a nightmare. I.e., your wife's phone for calls, yours streaming music.

And yes, often times they don't pair properly anyway. MFT will freeze when we try to connect to a different phone once it's already paired with the default (disconnect default via Bluetooth Devices menu, touch desired device, connect it). Again, doing that is not easy or intuitive at all either.

Why we don't have a button to just toggle between connected phones right from the main music interface is beyond me. Press and MFT automatically disconnects one and reconnects another. Simple?

Other niggles include sometimes the streaming music comes out of my phone and will refuse to play through the speakers unless I disconnect/reconnect a few times. This also causes freezing sometimes.

Anyway I've had the APIM replaced once, so we'll see what's next. Considering I have a Windows Phone that works wonderfully, and is supposed to be compatible with MFT just fine, I don't see that blaming the phone for shoddy MFT implementation is fair.

#235 · (Edited)
I bought an Arkon IPM2-FSM 18.5-Inch Flexible Floor Mount for iPad 2
from Amazon for $35.
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-IPM2-FSM-18-5-Inch-Flexible-Floor/dp/B00585CM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327817928&sr=8-1

It mounts in about a minute to one of the passenger seat bolts (#30 Torx). I then bought MotionX GPS software for $4 and $20 for a year of Voice Navigation. It works fantastic. It uses the entire iPad screen so it is huge, downloads maps on the fly and uses Inrix for traffic data. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

When I have a passenger I am able to push the mount far enough to the center for the passenger to sit.

Michael

#236 ·
Post from a mod today over on the syncmyride site's forum:

"I just want to inform everybody that the beta-testing phase is still ongoing at this time. Though I can't speculate on the Performance Upgrade release date, I can confirm that it is still coming this spring, and within the next few months. Once the Performance Upgrade is released, updated support content will also be released on the website. A forum announcement will also be posted to coincide with the launch.

I can understand everyone's interest in this topic; your feedback is being shared with the team."

Wonder what "few months" entails?

#239 ·
here are some news for everyone...

just came back from the dealership to have my car updated with the latest TSB and while i was there i chatted one of the tech guys about MFT Update and getting NAV after (for non-NAV MFT cars) and here is what he said:

1. They are expecting the MFT update by March 1 based on an email they got from Ford corporate but he was not sure when the USB's for the end-users will arrive. So this means by March 1st, even without the USB i can just go back and have them install the update for me and he said "YES"

2. The NAV has to come from the factory as the SD card itself only holds the actual maps but the programming and "CHIP" to enable NAV on MFT only comes from the factory so even with the GPS and LCD component in our current MFT's without the "CHIP" and the programming (which he also said they have the instructions for) will not work. So essentially even when NAV for MFT is made available, you have to pay not only for the SD but also for the "CHIP" and programming.. so somewhere around the $1500-$2500 price range he said after its all been said and done..

i will be picking up the car this afternoon and will re-confirm all statement above and will keep everyone posted. stay tuned!

#240 ·
1. They are expecting the MFT update by March 1 based on an email they got from Ford corporate but he was not sure when the USB's for the end-users will arrive. So this means by March 1st, even without the USB i can just go back and have them install the update for me and he said "YES"

i will be picking up the car this afternoon and will re-confirm all statement above and will keep everyone posted. stay tuned!
If you wouldn't mind, ask when they got that email while you are picking up your car. If they (Ford) are still beta testing, it seems unlikely (though I would love to be wrong about that).

#287 ·
If that is the new MFT version in the picture in that article it has the temperature next to the time. Hmmmmm.....

BTW, anyone in Toronto going to the Autoshow this week? I bet you could get some word on MFT from the Ford guys there.

#249 ·
Bought our Titanium last weekend. Already the MFT is acting bizarre. I wonder if anyone is getting theirs to work properly consistently.

I don't know if any of you have run across this one, but we went to adjust the fan speed with the controls under the real climate control, and the MFT changed from the radio to the USB...

And: Voice activation button not responding, making sharp right-hand turn turned the radio to USB, etc etc

Can't wait for the new software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.