Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 68 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #671
cj2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88846
What I Drive: 2012 focus se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cj2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Welcome to my nightmare.I got my 2012 Focus 7 weeks ago and from the start had the 50 to 80 mph vibration.So far they replaced one drive shaft,bearings ,the entire transmission and I also replaced the Continental tires for some GoodYear and the vibration/noise is still there.On the 9th of August they also told me that the engineers were aware about the situation and were working on it.Had a few arguements at the dealership with the service department,owner and even the salesman who was worried about the way I was gonna rate him on the survey.Sorry,but it's hard to say "completely satisfied" when the car never rolled like a new car should.In two weeks the dealership is suppose to contact me for an update and maybe offering me a car replacement if a solution is not found.It's hard to believe that Ford will replace all the problem cars.Hope Ford engineers will solve this very soon.
have they fixed your car yet? thye have given up on mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #672
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi RDJTX,

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I will the remote start installation concern to the regional Customer Service Manager. My fellow co-worker Jacklyn will be more than happy to address any MyFordTouch and SYNC questions. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. Shot her a PM when you have a chance.
Noemi
thanks but I went up to the dealer yesterday and they were just finishing up on my car LOL! I think they were having issues with the install and the tech was just too prideful to ask for help from Ford. Had he not gotten it done yesterday I would indeed be sending Pms to you and Jacklyn. You guys Rock !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I was encouraged by your acknowledgment that Ford is aware of the problem. Until I saw the solution was to further educate Focus owners about transmission technology. If Ford thinks this is an issue because we owners don't know what to expect, it's a hopeless situation. Ford released a product before it was ready - no amount of owner education is going to solve that.
Dan, The problems are with the early releases of the transmissions I think. I have seen very few of us with later releases that are having issues. But i think you misread the solution. More customer education is PART of the solution, not the entire solution. and more education of the buyers is necessary because of the uniqueness of the tranny namely in regards to the shudder. those of you having super hard shifts, grinding and what not are certainly having issues that further education of the consumers is not going to fix and ford need to impliment either a buy back or full replacement of the early tranny's with newer ones IMHO
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #673
MurphyPeoples
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92727
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MurphyPeoples Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello MurphyPeoples,

First, I want to apologize for the service you received. This is not acceptable treatment and we take this very seriously. The service you received will be documented and escalated to the appropriate personal for review.

When an owner experiences issues with their vehicle and post these issues on the forum, we reach out to them in the hopes of providing them further assistance, with an end result of resolving the issue as best as possible. This is why we request certain information via PM and forward that information to the Customer Service Manager. I, as well as my co-workers, provide the exact verbiage to the CSM to avoid confusion since we are not trained technicians. The information provided to the CSM is accessible by the dealer, however, I would like for you to be aware, in no way, shape, form or manner do I email any information directly to the dealer.

Again, I want to apologize for your treatment. The intended outcome was not to make you look bad to the dealer, but to make sure the dealer provides all the services possible to resolve the issue with the information provided. I hope you will still consider reaching out to us via the forum and that the safe haven to air your concerns through it as well as at the dealership, will be restored to you.

Thank you,

Noemi
Thanks for the well thought out reply Noemi. As you know... I really didn't rant here. I simply posted that I was disappointed with my local Dealership service manager's original lack of care about the issue I was having with a car I had just purchased. In that post I didn't name the dealership nor the manager by name, intentionally. And here on the form I use an Alias. With that said I find it curious how he obtained my comments if they hadn't been forwarded to him directly by Ford folks here. But that's in the past, and I don't hold grudges.

For everyone else - I now have over 5,000 miles on my 2012 Titanium and the transmission rattle is as strong as ever - if not a little louder. Owning this car is the epitome of having a love/hate relationship. I love everything about this car - except the transmission - which I out and out hate.

Having driven the car daily for work, I have managed to average 33 MPH consistently. So I can't be completely upset with the drivetrain. It's getting the job done despite the annoying sounds from the Tranny.

Having been told "these sounds are Normal" from my dealer service manager has not been confidence inspiring. When those rare moments occur when the rattling is loud enough to be heard over the radio, I have visions of the recall which must happen in the future. Until then, I suppose I'll simply grit my teeth at those moments, and thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.

Good Luck Fellow Brother and Sister 2012 Focus owners. Keep posting and let's see where this issue leads in the end.
Murphy
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #674
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
Having driven the car daily for work, I have managed to average 33 MPH consistently. So I can't be completely upset with the drivetrain. It's getting the job done despite the annoying sounds from the Tranny.

Having been told "these sounds are Normal" from my dealer service manager has not been confidence inspiring. When those rare moments occur when the rattling is loud enough to be heard over the radio, I have visions of the recall which must happen in the future. Until then, I suppose I'll simply grit my teeth at those moments, and thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.

Good Luck Fellow Brother and Sister 2012 Focus owners. Keep posting and let's see where this issue leads in the end.
Murphy
those sounds are NOT normal and your dealer service manager is an idiot. if they were normal we would all have them and as can been seen from the posts in several threads .. not everyone has them.

Frankly if you can I would find another dealer to work with, and be honest and blunt as to why you are changing dealerships.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #675
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
I am getting a Ford Engineer to look at my car next week. I have 6,800 miles on the car and still get quite a bit of grinding. The dealer claimed I have the all the updates and there is nothing they can do. How can that be when I bought the car on 7/31 (that was built 5/16 or 5/17)? I hope for a positive answer and solution from the Engineer, when I see him/her next week.

I hate being a thread pooper but why did many people who requested updates got one? I came in prepared with the articles, especially the one from Motor Trend. Quite a number of people stated that they were able to get the TSB update with no questions asked. I even PM'd a person about it, in addition to asking numerous questions on this board. Does it have something to do with me personally? I am very polite and friendly and tried to the best of my ability to explain things. I'll admit to being a little nervous at the meeting with the service adviser.

Be it as it may, I hold confidence that Ford will do the right thing in the end. I am not giving up the ghost and will keep on fighting for what I know is right!

The dealer seems is attempting to do something (like calling Ford Corporate to get an Engineer here) and I praise them for that, but I came out feeling uneasy how it became a big fight for me and not for others. I want to wish those who have the upgrades very well and I hope that you enjoy your transformed car. I followed all the transmission threads and it had very positive reviews.

If you see many of the posts, I praised the Ford Focus as a big step up for Ford. The fact that the car is winning many awards and recognitions is a testament to the fact how the company is willing to put past mistakes behind it and coming out ahead in the end. I praise Ford for fixing the MFT problem and will ship out the tools necessary to do the upgrade and I look forward to it, as many of the people here (who have it) are. I consider myself a Focus Fanatic and, like others, want the car to succeed in this very competitive marketplace.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #676
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Danyall2010,
One of the first parts of in the symptom chart is a symptom labelled as "Harsh or Soft/delayed engagement or shifts". The first step to see if this can be corrected is by performing an adaptive drive cycle after the PCM/TCM have been updated to the latest software level if one is available.

It is quite common in the symptom charts for every new Ford auto trans equipped vehicle to outline that the tech should verify the pcm/tcm are at the latest revision level and perform an adaptive drive cycle to see if that corrects the issue prior to digging any deeper to address any shift concerns. That is why most people are having the update done so readily.

When I diagnose an auto trans for a shift concern, I perform visual checks first. (trans fluid level/condition, linkages, check for leaks, modifications etc.) and make sure the vehicle is safe to road test. I then check for any codes that might reveal any possible issues and check Oasis for any TSBs or SSMs that might give some related info and I perform a road test to verify the concern. If there is a TSB or SSM that addresses the concern then I follow it. I also check for any available updates and perform a tcm/pcm update and perform the adaptive drive cycle (quite often TSBs related to shift concerns end up recommending a pcm/tcm update anyways). I then have a before/after of the update to see if the concern has been corrected. If it has, I release the vehicle to the customer. If the concern is still there, then more intrusive testing is required.

Our dealership has sold dozens of these cars and to date I have only ever had to look at one for a shift concern (early build) and the pcm/tcm update fixed the issue.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #677
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Danyall2010,
One of the first parts of in the symptom chart is a symptom labelled as "Harsh or Soft/delayed engagement or shifts". The first step to see if this can be corrected is by performing an adaptive drive cycle after the PCM/TCM have been updated to the latest software level if one is available.

It is quite common in the symptom charts for every new Ford auto trans equipped vehicle to outline that the tech should verify the pcm/tcm are at the latest revision level and perform an adaptive drive cycle to see if that corrects the issue prior to digging any deeper to address any shift concerns. That is why most people are having the update done so readily.

When I diagnose an auto trans for a shift concern, I perform visual checks first. (trans fluid level/condition, linkages, check for leaks, modifications etc.) and make sure the vehicle is safe to road test. I then check for any codes that might reveal any possible issues and check Oasis for any TSBs or SSMs that might give some related info and I perform a road test to verify the concern. If there is a TSB or SSM that addresses the concern then I follow it. I also check for any available updates and perform a tcm/pcm update and perform the adaptive drive cycle (quite often TSBs related to shift concerns end up recommending a pcm/tcm update anyways). I then have a before/after of the update to see if the concern has been corrected. If it has, I release the vehicle to the customer. If the concern is still there, then more intrusive testing is required.

Our dealership has sold dozens of these cars and to date I have only ever had to look at one for a shift concern (early build) and the pcm/tcm update fixed the issue.
Thank you for your detailed response. Does that mean (maybe I am misunderstanding) that the dealers themselves are performing the TSBs without looking at the customer's transmissions to verify that there is a problem? Also, why did Ford quietly update the transmissions on the post 8/12 cars, then? It does not make sense to have two different programmings for the same model year car, with the same engine tuning, and the same make and model of transmission.

Again, I will see what Ford Engineering has to say on this issue.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #678
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Thank you for your detailed response. Does that mean (maybe I am misunderstanding) that the dealers themselves are performing the TSBs without looking at the customer's transmissions to verify that there is a problem? Also, why did Ford quietly update the transmissions on the post 8/12 cars, then? It does not make sense to have two different programmings for the same model year car, with the same engine tuning, and the same make and model of transmission.

Again, I will see what Ford Engineering has to say on this issue.
No, I check for TSBs/SSMs before the road test just to give myself some more info to work with as the service advisors usually don't get enough info from the customer for me to work with other than some vague info on how the transmission is operating. I then do the road test prior to doing any updates just to see what I am working with and if the concern I am experiencing goes along with the vague description I was given and if it matches any TSBs I happened to notice before hand.

In a perfect world we'd have super educated advisors who will sit with the customer and get every detail about the concern but in reality I am often left with info such as "transmission shifts crappy at 40km/hr" or "car makes a whoopty poopty noise sometimes....not sure when or how but check it out".........or my favorite one of all time "car smells like stinky feet" which was a toss-up for me between the nasty air freshener she had in her car or the PTU seal that was leaking oil onto the exhaust. I replaced the PTU seal and the customer got mad that it wasn't fixed as it turns out her complaint was with the nasty air freshener she installed herself

I personally would rather talk with the customer directly than go through an advisor, and often find myself calling the customer directly to talk to them about it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #679
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I check for TSBs/SSMs before the road test just to give myself some more info to work with as the service advisors usually don't get enough info from the customer for me to work with other than some vague info on how the transmission is operating. I then do the road test prior to doing any updates just to see what I am working with and if the concern I am experiencing goes along with the vague description I was given and if it matches any TSBs I happened to notice before hand.

In a perfect world we'd have super educated advisors who will sit with the customer and get every detail about the concern but in reality I am often left with info such as "transmission shifts crappy at 40km/hr" or "car makes a whoopty poopty noise sometimes....not sure when or how but check it out".........or my favorite one of all time "car smells like stinky feet" which was a toss-up for me between the nasty air freshener she had in her car or the PTU seal that was leaking oil onto the exhaust. I replaced the PTU seal and the customer got mad that it wasn't fixed as it turns out her complaint was with the nasty air freshener she installed herself

I personally would rather talk with the customer directly than go through an advisor, and often find myself calling the customer directly to talk to them about it.
The service advisor I got only allowed me to list two issues with the transmission. Thankfully, I will likely be able to talk to the Ford Engineer (hopefully) next week (fingers crossed) and I could provide him/her with more detail what is going on. If he/she allows, I would like to drive the car with the Engineer so I can better explain myself. Here are my problems that I tried to tell my advisor:

Transmission grinding (can be heard when shifing from RPM's up to 3000-3500)

Transmission Flutter (when I break for a stop, when it goes into first gear, the engine goes to 1400-1500 RPMs. It does not happen with other gears)

Slow response of transmission (I know there is an "S" mode, but sometimes a driver can get into sticky situations and needs for the transmission to be responsive, especially on the highway)

Sometimes rough downshifting, but nothing major.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #680
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:

bwhahahahaha this is too funny. Good for you for being so willing to talk to the customers directly. When I go in for something engine / transmission related on any of my cars I insist on talking to the guy who will be working on my car. Most of the time eliminating the middle man i.e. the service advisor will go a long way to getting stuff fixed right the first time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks