Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 66 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #651
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerp View Post
I just got off the phone with the dealer that I bought the car from concerning the TSB/ transmission re-flash. The service advisor hassled me over doing it (saying their trans tech would have to drive, etc.) and I told him I have the TSB in hand along with date of manufacture (April 2011, yes an early one) and te VIN. Still got hell. I basically told him point blank that after buying several cars from them since 2002, I can aptly say their service department is a total disappointment and will probably take my business somewhere else (and this includes possibly switching vehicle manufacturers).

P.S. I hope the customer service lurkers are reading this. The are losing a life long Ford customer thanks to some douchemonkey service advisor....
Talk to the service manager. An April build requires the TSB. They should bend over backwards to help you. The service advisor should be fired based on your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #652
20Focus13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92454
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3,2012 GT500 750HP

FF Reputation: 1 20Focus13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I hope all of the current owners of the new Focus get their AT issues resolved. I plan on getting a new Focus but will wait till the ST's are released and order one then. I really like MT's and have never had any issues with my MT cars from Ford. It is too bad Ford does not offer a 5sp Titanium as I would order it right now even if it was just a 5sp and not a 6sp.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #653
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
I find it sad that less and less MT cars are being produced and sold. And I believe that no matter what package you buy, you should always have the option for a 5 or 6 speed. But I really hope they get this sorted out. My mom wanted to replace her '08 with one of these.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #654
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:
I just got off the phone with the dealer that I bought the car from concerning the TSB/ transmission re-flash. The service advisor hassled me over doing it (saying their trans tech would have to drive, etc.) and I told him I have the TSB in hand along with date of manufacture (April 2011, yes an early one) and te VIN. Still got hell. I basically told him point blank that after buying several cars from them since 2002, I can aptly say their service department is a total disappointment and will probably take my business somewhere else (and this includes possibly switching vehicle manufacturers).

P.S. I hope the customer service lurkers are reading this. The are losing a life long Ford customer thanks to some douchemonkey service advisor....
Your frustrations lie within your misunderstanding of how things work. A TSB is a document that guides technicians through the repairs of known issues. Eventhough your vehicle may have been applicable to the TSB by build date and symptom - it doesn't mean that the protocol for such an issue is to perform the TSB exempt from a traditional "once over"

YOU may be convinced that your problem is exactly that listed in the TSB and that the repair mentioned in the TSB will be the solution..... but that doesn't mean that WILL be the case. Let the technicians do their job - you are essentially upset because you aren't able to direct their efforts. That is simply an unrealistic expectation.

On the other hand, imagine if they took your word and simply just drove your car in and flashed it. Drove it back out and handed you the keys. If the reflash didn't resolve what you are complaining about, whos fault would that be now?

I've seen it go both ways and having the dealer treat your unit as any other unit and NOT simply flashing it based on a TSB and build date is the right thing to do. As it sits you are pissed and think they aren't good at their job and had they done what you suggested to no avail you'd feel the same way. This is what we call a no-win situation.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #655
20Focus13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92454
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3,2012 GT500 750HP

FF Reputation: 1 20Focus13 Good Standing Member
I believe the ST's are only sticks. At least that is what I read on the sites and Ford does say it will come with a 6 sp MT in the website. I guess we'll see.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #656
boogerp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93980
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boogerp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Your frustrations lie within your misunderstanding of how things work. A TSB is a document that guides technicians through the repairs of known issues. Eventhough your vehicle may have been applicable to the TSB by build date and symptom - it doesn't mean that the protocol for such an issue is to perform the TSB exempt from a traditional "once over"

YOU may be convinced that your problem is exactly that listed in the TSB and that the repair mentioned in the TSB will be the solution..... but that doesn't mean that WILL be the case. Let the technicians do their job - you are essentially upset because you aren't able to direct their efforts. That is simply an unrealistic expectation.

On the other hand, imagine if they took your word and simply just drove your car in and flashed it. Drove it back out and handed you the keys. If the reflash didn't resolve what you are complaining about, whos fault would that be now?

I've seen it go both ways and having the dealer treat your unit as any other unit and NOT simply flashing it based on a TSB and build date is the right thing to do. As it sits you are pissed and think they aren't good at their job and had they done what you suggested to no avail you'd feel the same way. This is what we call a no-win situation.
I understand how these work. I am a former auto tech/ service advisor that left the profession long ago and am up higher on the automotive food chain now (Quality Engineer in an automotive manufacturing plant). I did explain to him that the transmission felt "lazy" and shifted too early since day one and he blew it off as the adaptive strategy trying to learn how to "adapt" to my driving style. Really? Seriously? Takes it nearly 9 months and 18k miles to learn my driving habits!? Bull$h!!!!!!

Back in my day we would persue the complaint no matter if it was legitimate or not! After getting off the phone, walking the plant, and talking to some friends who have had similar experiences with the same service department, I wasn't the only one that has had to almost twist their arm to get something simple done (had one guy's F350 diesel for six months over a simple cooling issue thattook less than aday to fix!!!). I called another local dealer a few minutes ago and told them the same thing. They said bring it in, no questions asked.

IMO, if there is a necessary update for a major complaint, FMC Customer Service should have notified every Focus owner that had a Focus built prior to 8/12/2011. Would save a lot of complaints and would save owners a ton of hassle from the dealerships.....
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #657
gogogodzilla
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93407
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 gogogodzilla Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Ford's initial explanation was that complaints about the DCT were because people expected it to behave like a conventional automatic. This may have been a part of it, but the far bigger issue was they released the car with bum software. Hence the TSB for the major reflash.

So the problem is not that we Focus drivers are unsophisticates in the heady world of European-style transmissions, but that we had a bad product. Now that software is better problems are fewer but still exist, like clutch chatter at launch and a variety of grinding and clashing sounds. Ford seems to not have a solution for this.
Geez, talk about reading into a post. There are some differences between a DCT and a standard automatic, which I had gotten used to in my old GTI. Which mean I wasn't surprised when they were in my Focus.

So what's the deal with your snarky 'Focus drivers are unsophisticates in the heady world of European-style transmissions' comment?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #658
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post

You are correct here.

However, the 2012 Focus requires an exception to normal processes. By now any competent dealer knows these common issues with the Focus and almost everyone has the same complaint with the transmission. This particular TSB for the Focus is like a huge "service pack" you would have for a Windows PC where it includes Focus issues for the last 6 months. It's not only for the transmission.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #659
crydee
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86709
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 crydee Good Standing Member
I bought my car in June made in May. Is this pretty much needed for all Focus? If I'm at a stoplight and take my foot off the brake it will shudder for a second then smooth out and start to inch forward. Sometimes in stop and go it feels awkard but I've gotten use to it now.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #660
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I'd look elsewhere or wait. Despite Ford's efforts, there are too many owners (including me), that are scratching our heads about the DCT. If you want a car where you can wonder if the transmission will be all right, this is your car. If you just want a transmission that will just do its job, there are plenty of alternatives. Or wait for 2013 to see if there are improvements or if Ford abandons the technology.
Oh yeah, and while the Ford press release you were referred to says Ford uses the DCT technology worldwide be aware that the version we get in the US and Canada (dry clutch) is not the same as used in other places (wet clutch). In other words, we got the cheap one. Ford Customer Service, if this is wrong, just say so.
Quote:
My Focus was built in December. It has clutch chatter at launch when warm. Maybe this will go away with more miles. Maybe not.
Hey Dan50,

Thanks for your comment and question.

Ford is keenly aware there are Focus owners experiencing issues with the transmission. This is why software updates can be obtain through the dealerships certified technicians and continual education of the transmission technology is provided to current and future Focus owners. If anyone has a transmission concern, myself and Natasha will be more than happy to provide the necessary assistance. However, we are unable to do so unless the requested info is provided, such as the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info. So if your Focus is not running smoothly, I'll be more than happy to contact the regional Customer Service Manager on your behalf.

As for the clutch, you are correct. The U.S uses the dry version, which does not require transmission fluid and therefore eliminates the need for a transmission oil cooler and internal oil pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
As much as I have gathered from this thread, the transmissions affected mainly were built before August of last year? My transmission only took 150 mile break in period to become super smooth but my build date was November-2011.
Telling other people to look elsewhere at this point would be silly. If it were the earlier build dates I could understand but there is nothing wrong with the later cars.
Hi Visioned,

Congratulations on the Focus!

I'm happy to learn the transmission has smoothed out well before the 1000 mile break in period.

The dealer is in the best position to answer whether or not the transmission updates have been applied to a Focus on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
Wow, what a thread. We start off hearing from people with a legitimate concern about break in and before you know it its an all out bash against Ford. I personally know two people who have a 2012 and absolutely love it.
To those who have come here researching a 2012 for possible purchase please read other threads here. There are plenty of people who have no issues.For those of us who spend a fair amount of time on the web we know haters will hate and trolls will troll. It is my reccomendation you dont make a decision based soley on this thread.
Oh btw, even my 2010 needed to "break in" that's nothing new. And thank you for being here to help Ford Rep.
Thank you uh60, your comments are much appreciated!

We appreciate the accolades that are posted on this forum for the Focus and welcome future owners to peruse the forum and read the many happy comments. As for those with an issue, though it may seem everyone is having the same concern, the underlying reason may be different. This is why we highly recommend a dealership visit to properly diagnose and repair any issue arising in the Focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandon View Post
We now have seven thousand km on our2012 Focus. We have experienced the transmission shuddering and the more serious hesitation when you startup from a stop. Driving in these conditions is nerve-wracking enough without having an unreliable transmission!!
It does seem to be improving with time but still experience some shuddering especially when you are on a hill.
It is time for Ford to start communicating on this issue. We were not told about any kind of a break-in period for the transmission, fuzzy logic learning, etc. when we bought and picked up our new vehicle. We have had the car back to the dealership twice.
Hello Sandon,

My fellow Customer Service Representatives at Ford of Canada will be more than happy to provide assistance. Please contact them at 1.800.565.3673. If you have attempted this route to no avail, you may send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as the your personal and dealer contact info and I will see what I can do from my end. However, I do ask that you give Ford of Canada Reps the opportunity to help you with the transmission concerns prior to sending me your info. Please keep me posted on the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJTX View Post
Well I am back ... lol For those with tranny issues I can only say that after having driven mine 7k miles now and experiencing the shudder just a bit early on I can say it has disappeared with no further issues. MFT and sync can be a bit frustrating sometimes but I am hoping that the new update will take care of the few issues I have been having.
My car is currently at the dealers having the remote start installed and has been for a bit over a week now. I have not pressed them on it because they have been good service guys up to now. What I am concerned about, however, is that they are having issues getting it done and are not being completely forthcoming about what those issues are.
Hi RDJTX,

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I will the remote start installation concern to the regional Customer Service Manager. My fellow co-worker Jacklyn will be more than happy to address any MyFordTouch and SYNC questions. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. Shot her a PM when you have a chance.

Quote:
I bought my 2012 Focus SE back in May 2011. 18,000 miles and have not had any issues other than a sporadic remote lock issue.
Hi boogerp,

Happy to learn you're enjoying your new Focus. If you need assistance for that sporadic remote lock issue, shot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I will have a CSM assist you.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks