Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 64 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #631
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCaspian View Post
Thanks Noemi, but short of a miracle there is nothing that Ford could do to win my favour again.
DanteCaspian,

They say miracles can happen, so you never know. I do thank you for being part of the Ford family. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1966 View Post
... I'm seriously considering the Focus in Titanium model. After reading a lot of posts with regards to transmission and my touch issues, I'm not so sure. So what I'd like to know is this: Have these two issues been rectified? The Focus has been out for almost a year now so I would appreciate any feedback. The last thing I want to do is sign up for a 3-4 year lease only to be dissatisfied with the car.
Hi Robert1966,

to the Forum!

Ford has striven to address transmission issues brought to our attention here on the forum as well as at the dealerships. Many of the concerns have been fixed with software updates and we're also doing a better job at explaining the new transmission technology to current and future Focus owners.

Here is some information about the Six-Speed PowerShift Automatic to help you make a decision. Continue to research the Focus and the current technology it's equipped with throughout the next several months. I have no doubt you'll be impressed with the Focus then as you are now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Most of us love the DCT Powershift transmission and have had no problems with it.
We own a Titanium hatch built last August and there have really been no serious disappointments. We use MFT for Nav, phone, Sirius, etc. and have experienced no lock ups by the software. We think it is a great little car.
Hi 63769MOPARS,

Thanks for the props! I'm happy to hear of your great experience with your new Focus.

It's true, there are many happy owners who are not experiencing these issues with their Focus. However, we do work to address the concerns of those who do have them.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #632
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1966 View Post
My 2008 Nissan Altima lease is coming to an end this summer and I'm seriously considering the Focus in Titanium model. After reading a lot of posts with regards to transmission and my touch issues, I'm not so sure. So what I'd like to know is this: Have these two issues been rectified? The Focus has been out for almost a year now so I would appreciate any feedback. The last thing I want to do is sign up for a 3-4 year lease only to be dissatisfied with the car. I drive all day as I'm a rep. on the road so I really don't want to have to be dealing with problems by going to the dealership all the time.
I'd look elsewhere or wait. Despite Ford's efforts, there are too many owners (including me), that are scratching our heads about the DCT. If you want a car where you can wonder if the transmission will be all right, this is your car. If you just want a transmission that will just do its job, there are plenty of alternatives. Or wait for 2013 to see if there are improvements or if Ford abandons the technology.

Oh yeah, and while the Ford press release you were referred to says Ford uses the DCT technology worldwide be aware that the version we get in the US and Canada (dry clutch) is not the same as used in other places (wet clutch). In other words, we got the cheap one. Ford Customer Service, if this is wrong, just say so.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #633
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
As much as I have gathered from this thread, the transmissions affected mainly were built before August of last year? My transmission only took 150 mile break in period to become super smooth but my build date was November-2011.

If I could document anything, its at slower speeds where the car acts like a manual transmission would when the clutch was not fully pressed (I.E., making the car put put along) but I am 99% sure this is normal and I do not feel anything is wrong.

Telling other people to look elsewhere at this point would be silly. If it were the earlier build dates I could understand but there is nothing wrong with the later cars.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #634
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,772, Level 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
As much as I have gathered from this thread, the transmissions affected mainly were built before August of last year? My transmission only took 150 mile break in period to become super smooth but my build date was November-2011.

If I could document anything, its at slower speeds where the car acts like a manual transmission would when the clutch was not fully pressed (I.E., making the car put put along) but I am 99% sure this is normal and I do not feel anything is wrong.

Telling other people to look elsewhere at this point would be silly. If it were the earlier build dates I could understand but there is nothing wrong with the later cars.
My Focus was built in December. It has clutch chatter at launch when warm. Maybe this will go away with more miles. Maybe not. If it doesn't go away I have seen nothing that suggests Ford has a solution. You may have been lucky with your car but not everyone is. I know of no other contemporary automobile that regularly puts its owners in this "maybe it'll be OK, maybe not" situation. If you think this is a silly point of view, so be it.

If you like the Focus, I still think it's reasonable to wait for the 2013s when more of the first year bugs will be worked-out. Maybe by then they can also figure out how to keep dirt out the paint.

Look, the Focus is a nice car but bedeviled by more than its share of first year glitches. If I had it to do over again, I would wait. With the level of care put into the Focus launch, I can hardly wait to see how the new Fusion and Escape fare. Maybe new owners can be the beta testers for Eco-Boost this time.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #635
uh60james
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6968
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 uh60james Good Standing Member
Wow, what a thread. We start off hearing from people with a legitimate concern about break in and before you know it its an all out bash against Ford. I personally know two people who have a 2012 and absolutely love it.

To those who have come here researching a 2012 for possible purchase please read other threads here. There are plenty of people who have no issues.For those of us who spend a fair amount of time on the web we know haters will hate and trolls will troll. It is my reccomendation you dont make a decision based soley on this thread.

Oh btw, even my 2010 needed to "break in" that's nothing new. And thank you for being here to help Ford Rep.

Sent from my PG86100 using FF Mobile
Team Duratec #39 / Sedan Revolution #35
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #636
Sandon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93958
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Sandon Good Standing Member
Transmission Issues

We now have seven thousand km on our2012 Focus. We have experienced the transmission shuddering and the more serious hesitation when you startup from a stop. This has happened twice while making a left hand turn which creates a serious safety concern, not to mention, major reduction in confidence while driving this car. We live in Canada and with winter driving conditions, such hesitations create even more serious risks. When driving on slippery snow covered and icy roads, you need smooth steady reliable starts. Driving in these conditions is nerve-wracking enough without having an unreliable transmission!!
It does seem to be improving with time but still experience some shuddering especially when you are on a hill.
It is time for Ford to start communicating on this issue. We were not told about any kind of a break-in period for the transmission, fuzzy logic learning, etc. when we bought and picked up our new vehicle. We have had the car back to the dealership twice. The first time, they did some sort of update to the computer logic. The second time, they checked for a leak of some sort, found nothing and sent me home as there was nothing more that they could do except send in the issue to Ford Engineering. This is not a satisfactory response!!!
We need to hear from Ford Engineering now. What causes the problem? What can we do….e.g. – are there recommendations on how to ‘break-in’ your transmission? What are they doing? What can we expect? How long a break-in is normal? How are they going to rectify this problem? What will they do in the future and for those of us that are experiencing the problem now. The communication from Ford on this issue has been much less than satisfactory.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #637
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,772, Level 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandon View Post
We now have seven thousand km on our2012 Focus. We have experienced the transmission shuddering and the more serious hesitation when you startup from a stop. This has happened twice while making a left hand turn which creates a serious safety concern, not to mention, major reduction in confidence while driving this car. We live in Canada and with winter driving conditions, such hesitations create even more serious risks. When driving on slippery snow covered and icy roads, you need smooth steady reliable starts. Driving in these conditions is nerve-wracking enough without having an unreliable transmission!!
It does seem to be improving with time but still experience some shuddering especially when you are on a hill.
It is time for Ford to start communicating on this issue. We were not told about any kind of a break-in period for the transmission, fuzzy logic learning, etc. when we bought and picked up our new vehicle. We have had the car back to the dealership twice. The first time, they did some sort of update to the computer logic. The second time, they checked for a leak of some sort, found nothing and sent me home as there was nothing more that they could do except send in the issue to Ford Engineering. This is not a satisfactory response!!!
We need to hear from Ford Engineering now. What causes the problem? What can we do….e.g. – are there recommendations on how to ‘break-in’ your transmission? What are they doing? What can we expect? How long a break-in is normal? How are they going to rectify this problem? What will they do in the future and for those of us that are experiencing the problem now. The communication from Ford on this issue has been much less than satisfactory.
I agree. However, don't be critical of the car or of Ford lest you be branded a "troll" or "hater". Drink the cool-aid; everything is fine.

But seriously, the break-in period for the clutch is expected to be 1,000 miles, though it could be longer if you do lots of highway driving. Somewhere in this thread is a YouTube video with the Ford guy in charge of engineering for the DCT. He does mention the break-in, odd noises and sensations during this period and says the transmission gets progressively smoother as it is driven more. This video should be required viewing for all new owners.

So the theory is these issues will work themselves out in time. The question I have is what if they don't? No one on this forum has, to my knowledge, reported a clutch replacement or other permanent fix.

One other thought: if your car was built before August 12 you may benefit from revised software described in one of Ford's TSBs. This seems to help DCT behavior for many.

The Focus is a really nice car, but whether because it's in its first year of production or there are too many new technologies or Ford's engineering resources are strained by introducing lots of all new cars (Focus, Escape, Fusion) in a short period, it does have issues. Case in point: a TSB because the oil life monitor isn't working right? Really?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #638
Sandon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93958
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Sandon Good Standing Member
Tranmission

Thanks for the feedback. We do love the car other than the transmission issue. Will find that video....sounds like it would be helpful.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #639
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,772, Level 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandon View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We do love the car other than the transmission issue. Will find that video....sounds like it would be helpful.
Couldn't find the video here, but try:

Www.YouTube.com/watch?v=AX1DN04vZPk
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #640
uh60james
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6968
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 uh60james Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I agree. However, don't be critical of the car or of Ford lest you be branded a "troll" or "hater". Drink the cool-aid; everything is fine.
Not what I meant to imply. I realize there are people with genuine issues, thats a given with any car no matter the brand.

I was talking about certain people who appear to just be posting to stir the pot so to speak.

I don't know if the manual mentions break in because I don't have one. I wouldn't be suprised if it does though. Also if you are driving to maximize fuel economy you probably will be waiting longer to break it in. Have a bit of fun breaking your car in. I understand gas is expensive but its hard to get truly bad mpg in a Focus.

Also if you truly believe there is something wrong get your oil changes at the dealership and bring it up every single time regardless of them implementing a fix. Document it and Ford will have a hard time denying a claim outside of warranty because you've already established an issue with them.

Sent from my PG86100 using FF Mobile
Team Duratec #39 / Sedan Revolution #35

Bookmarks & Social Networks