Valentine One - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88257
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

Posts: 260
FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking good!

I always liked to have my V1 installed with a direct power supply and out of sight. In my previous cars I've always tapped in to the maplight circuit near the rearview mirror using their direct-wire power adapter and a ~8" power cord. The detector doesn't draw nearly enough amps to overload the circuit and I never had to pull out the A-pillars or anything, and it keeps it (mostly) out of sight of both The Man and anyone scoping for something to steal :)
DarinS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
fanoftheliving
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 88586
Location: Morristown, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 silver SE

Posts: 62
FF Reputation: 1 fanoftheliving Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OP: I tried the same thing that you are doing with mounting on the visor. I have to tell you, I hated it. There were 2 reasons for this:

1. Very inconvenient when you want to put the visor down. The radar detector really interferes with the functioning of the visor.
2. The V1 is heavy. It makes the visor vibrate and makes annoying noises.

Ultimately I wound up installing the Escort 8500ci PLUS remote. It is not as sensitive as V1, but it is very much out of the way and also it warns of red light cameras (has a GPS antenna).

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
I tried mounting the V1 in many other ways, and it just irritated me because it was SO visible to a casual observer. This is why I ultimately chose the Escort remote.
__________________
'02 Honda S2000, 2012 Silver Focus HB, 5 spd Ordered August 13th, Build Date Sept 19th, delvrd: 9/29/2011. Sport pkg, Moon Roof, Winter Pkg, 203A
fanoftheliving is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Jdog913
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84424
Location: LIVONIA, MI
What I Drive: .

Posts: 266
FF Reputation: 3 Jdog913 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover460 View Post
I would like to see how you run the wires, may do this as well. I see we use our Valentines in the same area! I work in Fraser. State boys are always on I-94!
It was actually simpler than I originally thought. I used the visor clip ran the 8' cord also the length of the head liner to the passenger seat a pillar. Then removed the door weatherstripping (Just lifts up). Under the weather stripping there is a channel that goes to the kick panel. I had to put the wire under the a-pillar (without removing it).Then down the channel to the kick panel. There is a gap from under the glove box to the kick panel area. That is where I used the direct wire module that is included. Under the glove box is a fuse panel (Thank ihdillon!). I removed the panel and used the Add-A-Circuit on #85 (7.5A). For the ground there is a 8MM bolt to the left of the fuse panel that connects to a metal bar. I did have to crimp on a larger connector to fit the bolt diameter. I used the velcro included to put the module and I tucked the excess wires up and plan on using zip ties to hold them up.










Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoftheliving View Post
OP: I tried the same thing that you are doing with mounting on the visor. I have to tell you, I hated it. There were 2 reasons for this:

1. Very inconvenient when you want to put the visor down. The radar detector really interferes with the functioning of the visor.
2. The V1 is heavy. It makes the visor vibrate and makes annoying noises.

Ultimately I wound up installing the Escort 8500ci PLUS remote. It is not as sensitive as V1, but it is very much out of the way and also it warns of red light cameras (has a GPS antenna).

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
I tried mounting the V1 in many other ways, and it just irritated me because it was SO visible to a casual observer. This is why I ultimately chose the Escort remote.
I like the visor clip but like you said if I want to use the visor I can't. As far as the vibration I used some receipts/envelopes to hold the clip firm. The position is quite good I thought. Doesn't really draw the much attention at all because it is high up and out of the direct view of others.
Jdog913 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
FordBass
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89775
Location: Buffalo, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

Posts: 343
FF Reputation: 1 FordBass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
Why are tinted windows/tail lights bad? I don't follow...
Also people arn't tools if they have loud soundaystems din there car... Only if they play them loud in tesidential areas and even worse if it rattles.

Blue scattered hid plus yellow fogs also.
FordBass is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
cacophonous
Focus Addict
 
cacophonous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89165
Location: Hell, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Posts: 714
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog913 View Post
I never said they were "bad" (However taillight tint does reduce light output to other drivers). I just said a "tool" drives the car with the following features, that happened to be one of them.
Sorry for confusing you!

Ok so you don't think they are bad, but if someone tints their windows or tail lights you think they are tool? In fact you have such strong feelings about it you have it in your signature.

Guess I don't follow why they are a tool?

I would like to tint my windows and think the tail lights would look great black on my Yellow Blaze Ti.

If I used your logic I should say Tools install radar detectors so they can drive over the speed limit which is not all that safe. But I am using my logic and really don't see an issue for you using one.
__________________
2012 Focus Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze, 400A, Winter, & 17" Black Machined Rims
cacophonous is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwill9886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93444
Location: Collinsville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

Posts: 455
FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Finally got the BlendMount in and used some of Jdog's suggestions to install my STi Driver.






The placement of the little module isn't 100% right now, but I'm kinda short on cord to bring it up much further. I'll figure something out.

Love the BlendMount. I had this in my Accord last and the suction cups always left marks and were kind of warped from being in the heat too much. This looks much cleaner.
Bwill9886 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
r1derbike
Focus Addict
 
r1derbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Fan#: 62667
Location: Bella Vista, AR
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

Posts: 832
FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hmmm. That blend mount looks nice. May have to relocate my 9500ix now.

EDIT: WHOA! They want 80 bucks for that mount @ blendmount. Will have to pass. Bang-for-buck is simply not there for me.
__________________
2012 Focus; Maybe 3rd Time's the Charm?
r1derbike is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast
 
elwood125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 17784
Location: 757massive, VA
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

Posts: 423
FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
Sorry for confusing you

If I used your logic I should say Tools install radar detectors so they can drive over the speed limit which is not all that safe. But I am using my logic and really don't see an issue for you using one.
_____________________
This. While I'm not a big fan of tinted tailights or super loud exhaust, I find it beyond laughable you (Jdog) went to such a great length as to list in your sig your requirements for not being a "tool" as you say. You'd much rather attempt to drive around at speeds well over the posted limits, and not endanger anyone else I am sure...

Get over yourself.
elwood125 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwill9886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93444
Location: Collinsville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

Posts: 455
FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Hmmm. That blend mount looks nice. May have to relocate my 9500ix now.

EDIT: WHOA! They want 80 bucks for that mount @ blendmount. Will have to pass. Bang-for-buck is simply not there for me.
I don't blame anyone who thinks it's expensive. I almost didn't go for it but I REALLY didn't want to use suction cups anymore. Plus, as you said, the mounting location is awesome.

Btw there is a coupon code for 10 bucks off that you can google. I know it's not a lot, but it did sweeten the deal for me.
Bwill9886 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
Ratskrad
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 93063
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Gray

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 1 Ratskrad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@Jdog913 - I assume you ran the wires down the weather stripping on the door side of the a pillar, not the windshield side. If that's true, did you just lever the a-pillar trim out, and thread the wires behind the air-bag harness? Are there any tie-down points anywhere so as to not interfere with air-bags?.

Thanks.
Ratskrad is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.