2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities. - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #101
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Points 7,815, Level 59
Points: 7,815, Level: 59 Points: 7,815, Level: 59 Points: 7,815, Level: 59
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
Hi all
Brand new member here as I just registered to post what I found online as I have not seen it in this thread:

http://livnloud.com/2011/12/2012-for...ereo-dash-kit/

I'm about to pull the trigger SEL hatch, but I'm weighing my stereo options first.
Looks like Metra has come out with a kit. This will allow you retain control of the little upper screen (ACV kit can't do this) as well as the doorlock/hazard buttons (ACV needs additional part for that, but it works fine).

However, based on their press release, they do not have a solution for the steering wheel controls as of yet. They just ahve the harness and antenna adapter. ACV does (supposedly, if it works on the US model. will find out later this week.) have a solution for the steering wheel controls.

Honestly, I'm not too dissapointed about losing control of the upper display. It's basically a glorified clock. Eventually I want to remove it and replace it with a different LCD, liek a ScanGauage. Also, in my opinion the ACV kit looks a little cleaner than the Metra kit. But for those who would like to keep control of the date and time (redundant with an aftermarket radio), this will be good for them.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #102
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Herbz, I look forward to hearing how you make out.

I have a question, hopefully not a dumb one: is the bluetooth phone capabilities automatically lost when you replace the stock stereo or is there a way to have an aftermarket head unit and retain factory phone support (since we get to keep that little screen)?

Another question: what are the sync elements that you get on an SEL which doesn mot have MyFord Touch. The SEL has climate control, so does that make it voice activated climate control like on the MFT equipped car? Or is the only voice activated feater on non-sony, non-MFT cars the phone features?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #103
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,815, Level 59
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
Herbz, I look forward to hearing how you make out.

I have a question, hopefully not a dumb one: is the bluetooth phone capabilities automatically lost when you replace the stock stereo or is there a way to have an aftermarket head unit and retain factory phone support (since we get to keep that little screen)?

Another question: what are the sync elements that you get on an SEL which doesn mot have MyFord Touch. The SEL has climate control, so does that make it voice activated climate control like on the MFT equipped car? Or is the only voice activated feater on non-sony, non-MFT cars the phone features?

Thanks.
Not a dumb question. I can't answer the second, but to the first, yes, you do lose bluetooth/sync capabilities when you replace hte headunit. However the aftermarket does have Sync retention adapters that supposedly work. They are not out for the Focus yet, but are for other Ford models.

If you have Sync, I would recommend not wasting money on a headunit with bluetooth. Just wait for the Sync adapters to come out and that way you won't end up with 2 bluetooth(s).
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #104
gootman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92669
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot silver Ford Focus HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 gootman Good Standing Member
AVC Steering control

Just wanna let you guys know that the AVC control adapter for the Dutch double din does work with the steering wheel controls, I recently installed the control adapter for my avic-x930bt and the adapter works well, however, I dont really understand what is the purpose of the tiny speaker that comes with the kit.
Just a question though, would anyone know what the wire color for the speed pulse and dimmer are, if any?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #105
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,815, Level 59
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootman View Post
Just wanna let you guys know that the AVC control adapter for the Dutch double din does work with the steering wheel controls, I recently installed the control adapter for my avic-x930bt and the adapter works well, however, I dont really understand what is the purpose of the tiny speaker that comes with the kit.
Just a question though, would anyone know what the wire color for the speed pulse and dimmer are, if any?
Nice! Do you have any pics?

I was wondering what was up with that little speaker as well.

Speed pulse is the pink wire. I'm not sure what you mean by the dimmer?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #106
gootman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92669
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot silver Ford Focus HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 gootman Good Standing Member
steering controls

will post some pics tomorrow of how I connected the AVC adapter to work with the steering wheel controls. As for the dimmer wire, the dimmer allows the Navigation screen to pretty much black out when headlights are turned on, driving at night without the dimmer connected keeps the screen extremely bright and its a bit distracting.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #107
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,815, Level 59
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
will post some pics tomorrow of how I connected the AVC adapter to work with the steering wheel controls. As for the dimmer wire, the dimmer allows the Navigation screen to pretty much black out when headlights are turned on, driving at night without the dimmer connected keeps the screen extremely bright and its a bit distracting.
Pics would be very much appreciated! Did you have to splice/modify any factory wires to get it to work?

As far as the dimmer control, I'm not sure. I'll bring that up to my installer on Thursday and see what he says about it.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #108
Gazookz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82103
What I Drive: 2011 Metallic Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 Gazookz Good Standing Member
Quote:
The speaker that comes with the kit is most likely for the SYNC. When switching to an aftermarket radio and keeping SYNC a lot of times you have to have a separate speaker to hear the voice of SYNC. At least I know that's how it is with '08-'11, but it should be the same for the 2012's.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #109
xBigone101x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89090
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 xBigone101x Good Standing Member
have the titanium and i love the system

SoCal Crew #96
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #110
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,815, Level 59
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBigone101x View Post
have the titanium and i love the system
Thanks for your input, it's valued here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.