Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Houston First Event Jan 2012, also have a question

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  tukaniSVT 
#1 ·
Well, today was our first event in Houston, TX and yesterday we actually had our regional championship. Pretty fun, ran both days.

For today, we had 88 entries and was able to run 5 times. [woot] we usually do 4 in our region.

STF will be lonely for at least month or 2, but it will fill up here in the Spring and Summer.

This photographer was their and took some photos. Thanked him, since I didn't bring along my SLR.

My question, What do you guys recommend on fixing the back end pulling out?
I have adjustable KYB Shocks paired with H&R Race Springs and also have Adjustable Toe set at +1.0 degree.
My back end came out super easy, but way too easy as well. Felt I understeered a bit too much around corners.

I played with my settings on the shocks, but just didn't get it right to me.

Should I stiffen the front and soften the back to best return the understeer? Or vice versa?

Thanks.

-Ray-

Oh and here are the photos from the day. [:)]

Oh yeah, taking a cone for a ride ... btw, I didn't hit any cones for time ... that was a pointer cone. hehehe

See less See more
#4 ·
you get 4-5 runs for the entire day??
that's usually our morning heat! with 4-5 more in the afternoon!
i guess we are spoiled..

for me, getting the back end to come around is exactly what i want. i even trail brake at times to get the rear end to come around.
if you don't like it, i would first start off by playing with tire pressure. (i'm still trying to dial in my tire pressure) then move to shocks/sways

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

Paul, yeah, may think about putting the front sway in front after all and taking out the stock one. LOL

BTW:
Caster: 0 in front / -1 in back
Camber: -1 in front / -1.5 in back
Toe: 0 in front / 1 degree Toe-Out for back

Mark: yea, we had a couple of guys talk about you "Northern peeps" getting plenty of runs. Heck even OKC's regional gets 6-8. Us here in Houston we are loving the early finish, because a couple of years back even at 3-4 runs each we wouldn't leave until around 6-7 ... an ALL day event. And we use to have an average of 150-200 cars. That's alot of cars. So they stuck with that run set up and when the economy unfortunately took away plenty of participants, it gave us back time for those still running.

As for pressure, yeah, I was playing with it all day yesterday.

With these 225/50/16s, I was on average 34-36 up front and 38-40 in the back.

I do indeed love the back end coming out, but I think its a bit too much now.

-Ray-

#13 ·
Thanks guys.

Paul, yeah, may think about putting the front sway in front after all and taking out the stock one. LOL

BTW:
Caster: 0 in front / -1 in back
Camber: -1 in front / -1.5 in back
Toe: 0 in front / 1 degree Toe-Out for back
A few thoughts. First off, a bit of a nit-pick, but as an FYI, you only have caster on the front wheels.

My recommendation is to dial it back to zero toe, with only -1 degree camber up front, you're leaving some total grip on the table.

Remember that the focus rear suspension does go through a change in toe dynamically as the suspension compresses.

#9 ·
i would try lowering your rear PSI.. that should help.
i've always had my PSI in the front higher than the rear.. to compensate for the motor.

i think the biggest turn out we had last year was 120! we average 60-80 drivers. that explains all the runs! plus, we usually get fun runs after the actual event!

#11 ·
Mark, Nice.

I did find out that we do fun runs on setup day (usually the day before the event).

We had our regional championship (King of the Hill as they called it) the day before, and I was invited to compete ... did well to my surprise, but anyways, those who competed worked for the volunteers ... and oh my goodness, the volunteers were given 2 hours of free play and they averaged 12-15 runs!!! Holy smokes.

-Ray-

#12 ·
Of course I will note the changes ... lol. I would like to have this dialed in before Divisionals and Nationals roll in.

-Ray-

#14 ·
Hmm ... thanks. I guess I should re-look at the paper that the NTB guy gave me.

Definitely will have them reset it then and run it that way for the next event.

What's your thoughts on AirPressure, wrc_fan?

-Ray-

#15 ·
What's your thoughts on AirPressure, wrc_fan?

-Ray-
I'm unconvential, as I usually run lower rear pressure on a FF.

Currently I run RS-3s, in 225/45/15 on 15x7.5 wheels. Depending on the course and temperature, I will run 30-32 psi up front and 28ish to start in the rear. I basically set the fronts so I'm scrubbing to the limit mark on the tire, then reduce rear pressure until I feel the car is balanced.

#16 ·
Wow that's low. I ran with 32-34 once and noticed some roll over marks on the sidewall.

I may do like 34-36 in the rear, and 36-38 in the front.

-Ray-

#17 ·
^^ I am running a lot more camber, I have -2.75 front and -1.75 rear. Having more static camber is critical on the focus. When you drop it with the H&R race springs, you have a pretty crappy camber change when the suspension compresses at this ride height. More camber helps keep it off the sidewall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.