Michigan people - Page 7462 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Fanatics

Great Lakes Fanatics Serving the Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #74611
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #74612
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '91 Miata, '82 Benz 300TD

FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
lulz at the auto correct fail klod...

also i know his glowplug circuit isn't the problem... when i went out there this morning he started just fine... drive about 15 minutes, stop to get fuelz...

left him in ACC because it's easy

finished filling up and no start.

so he's just at a super low charge level... i haven't put him on a trickle charger and if i can find mine (correction: one of mine) then i'll hook him up tonight probably and he'll get some loving... but in the future i'm going to need a high powered alternator so that his battery is always nice and topped off... cause it's bad enough when the charge level is low... but then the temperature has a BIG effect... and of course at the gas station he was still at operating temperature... he would crank over but it was SOOO slow. not even close to fast enough to start.

i know my bluetooth receiver isn't the problem cause it's wired to the radio circuit, so it turns off when the radio does... and i didn't have this issue before.

so i'm chalking it up to the alternator and thinking i've got to put a nice alternator and better jumper cables (mine were almost too hot to touch by the time i got him started) i'm thinking of making some jumpers out of welding cable cause... we use 0/4 here at work for our high current applications (high current means 230A or there abouts)... i figure that should be sufficient for wilhelm's needs... although a better alternator and the "electrical big 3" upgrade should do the trick as well.

I could try and upgrade to a two battery system (put the second in the trunk) but then i have to run all those cables and it just seems like overkill.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #74613
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Yea new alt seems easiest......also somewhat confused how leaving in ACC is easier than making 1 more quarter turn to put it in off mode?

granted he shouldnt be dying that quickly anyways lol! my jetta battery is finally getting weak but every time I work on that car I usually have it in ACC and run the radio the whole time I'm working on her. never had a problem doing that until recently when it was too dead to start.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #74614
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

hmmm looks like for $40 i can get 4-ga cables (better than what i have for sure, rated to 500A) or for like $170 i can get 1/0 gauge cables (only rated to 600A but are "commercial grade") eh with a new alternator better jumpers would be moot anyways.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #74615
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: Red 1990 Miata Hardtop

FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You should do a voltage test at idle (nothing running) then do it with stereo, lights, heat, vibrator in cig lighter, all going to see your draw. Then do a key off, leak down on battery to see if anything is pulling amperage while resting.

Worse case is a quick disconnect on ground wire for over night parking, but it kills radio presets and stuffs.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #74616
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Also alternator could be fine and you have a dirty connection or freyed wire.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #74617
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
Yea new alt seems easiest......also somewhat confused how leaving in ACC is easier than making 1 more quarter turn to put it in off mode?

granted he shouldnt be dying that quickly anyways lol! my jetta battery is finally getting weak but every time I work on that car I usually have it in ACC and run the radio the whole time I'm working on her. never had a problem doing that until recently when it was too dead to start.
wanted to leave the phone and bluetooth paired cause i'm lazy... attenuated the radio to not waste power bumping the trunk...

exactly... according to the lady i bought it from the battery was new as of this january... battery shouldn't go bad in a year.

also better alternator and better wiring just means better charged battery all the days. plus i can get one with a slightly smaller pulley (but only 80A) so that i get better charge at idle (a known issue on these old MB diesels) it's like $130 for the 120A alternator versus my little 65A unit... and with plans to upgrade wilhelm's lights to 80W/100W.... (i MIGHT do 55W/100W, but the extra 25W sounds real nice on the low beams)

i'm thinking i should nip the problem in the bud instead of dicking around... for now (aka until i find a new job and get paid and all that) i'll put him on the trickle charger like once a week (just to be sure) but otherwise he should be ok as-is for a little longer.

tune in next week for more ADVENTURES IN OWNING A VINTAGE DIESEL!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #74618
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Also are you running a fuel additive for cold temps that prevent gelling?

Have you changed your fuel filter or cleaned it at least?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #74619
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

i'm not currently running a fuel additive... and my fuel filter is new as of May.

the prefilter still looks good too.

do i need to start running additive?

all winter? what do the newer diesels do?

also good idea on the sitting voltage test... that much is easy enough to accomplish.

i know the alternator itself works fine... i know the idle output isn't going to be the best... i'll have to check about the possibility of a phantom... but he's been fine all year...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #74620
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

We run additive from 40 & cooler.

Id check voltage output AT the alt and then at the battery to calc your drop.

Also I want that 240d if I had money. :(

Id love vintage diesel but would perfer turbo diesel vs regular.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
aku & oberon, ff men cursed, hide yo kids, hide yo wife, in before the lock, kyle is troll king, mi euro-trash thread, toots was here